The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dry Skin on Rejected Joey

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GliderNursery

GliderNursery

Dry Skin on Rejected Joey Empty
PostSubject: Dry Skin on Rejected Joey   Dry Skin on Rejected Joey Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Ok, we're trying to help with some rejected joeys. Their skin is getting very dry, as if formula has dried up on it (but it's not forumla). These joeys are under vet care as well.

According to Suz' site, for younger joeys, it's better to use cotton rather than fleece:

Quote :
*I was recently advised by Lynda Stakes, a renowned marsupial wildlife rehabilitator in Australia, NOT to use fleece on a joey that does not have fur yet. The reason is that fleece will wick the oils away from the joey's skin. She recommends using t-shirt cotton instead for the layer directly against the joey. (12-23-09)

So, she has changed from fleece to cotton. At this time, we're trying to get an incubator set up to provide the proper heat and humidity.

We are hoping that these two things alone will start to moisturize the skin. But, if it doesn't, is there anything that can be applied externally? Maybe a percent mixture of something?

The concern I have with applying anything is that it could chill the glider.

Any suggestions? Anyone with experience with dry skin?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Dry Skin on Rejected Joey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dry Skin on Rejected Joey   Dry Skin on Rejected Joey Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Emu oil - it is fantastic for the skin, and it can be kept at room temperature. I have used it on rejected joeys before.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/

Dry Skin on Rejected Joey
Page 1 of 1