The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Siezures after eating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
glidrz5

Siezures after eating Empty
PostSubject: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 am

As posted on Glider Central last night
"Brodie had a massive siezure at 9pm this evening just before my friend was going to come over to give fluids. I thought he was dead. He completely stopped breathing and was totally limp. Then he started gasping again. I wrapped him in a warmed towel and called my vet. Dr Kaiser wasn't the e-vet on duty tonight but Dr Jody agreed to meet me at the office. Daphne (my friend) went with me to the office so Brodie would have someone to hold him. At this point he was starting to revive a touch but was still very out of it. He was given 3cc of sub-q fluids and we discussed what might have caused his siezure. I asked if his dehydration could be a cause and she said that normally didn't happen, that it was generally low or high blood sugar. Since Brodie had a nosebleed after his siezure and it was still seeping some we used that to check his blood sugar and it came out low on the glucose monitor. At this time we sub-qed him again with dextrose (the first batch of fluids had already been absorbed). At this time Brodie realy started to come out of his stupor. It was like watching a glider revive from anestetic. He was disorientated and biting. I managed to keep him from gnawing on his toes until he woke up enough to be aware of his surroundings. Then he peed on the table. Dr Jodie collected this and is going to run it to see if it can tell us anything.
Then I took Brodie home and called work to let them know I was now home and starting to get ready, but was going to be a bit late.
At work I tried to give Brodie some food, but it was almost like he had another minor sizure. He was then zonked out for about hour. When he woke up I swear it was like someone flipped a switch because he turned into the energizer bunny. He flew across the office, climbed the copy machine, climbed the computer tower, bounced back and forth across the floor, tried to climb the doors and made it to the top of the first hinge..........all I could do was sit and stare at him. 4 hours ago I thought I was going to lose him and here he was bouncing everywhere like a ping pong ball.
I talked to Teresa on the phone and she assured me that this was fairly normal.....Brodie was on a sugar high from his dextrose sub-q. I'm to keep an eye on him and make sure that he doesn't crash again and keep pushing his hpw and fruit juice."

Since I posted that last night, Brodie had several more siezures. Tho none were as severe as the first. What really concerns me is that everytime he ate anything within 30 seconds he would have a siezure. Does anyone have any idea why eating would trigger a siezure?
I do have a vet appointment for him this morning and hopefully we will be able to figure something out for this little guy. Please keep him in your prayers.
Back to top Go down
glidrz5

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 11:54 am

I just got back from the vets with Brodie. X-Rays and fecal do not show anything abmormal that could be causing the siezures. I am going to be sub-qing him with a dextros solution 2x a day in addition to a saline solution that he will get multiple times a day as well. In addition, we are going to try some phenobarbatol with him to see if we can keep the siezures under control long enough for him to eat and get his system back in order. I also have some high calorie/vitamin enriched food to suppliment him with. It is by Iams and is their maximum calorie vetrinary formula. We looked into the Carnovore Care by Oxbow but my vet doesn't carry it.

Keep your fingers crossed and the prayers coming. Brodie is a sick little guy, but isn't ready to give up yet.
Back to top Go down
glidrz5

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Brodie had his first 1/2 dose of phenobarbatol. The vet wanted to start with a smaller dose to see how it worked for him rather than starting with the full dose of it. Anyway, it made him a tad sleepy.
About 2 1/2 hours after taking his med, we got Brodie out for his 2nd sub-q and got him some food. He had 3 relatively minor siezures as he started to eat. I say relatively minor compared to what he had last night. The first was the strongest and each subsiquent one got more mild. After the 3rd siezure he was able to eat the rest of his 2 1/2 syringes of food without any more siezing.
Poor little guy was sooooooooooo hungry. His tummy was completely empty (per the x-ray) and for the first time in 2 days he really really WANTED to eat.
He is now completely sacked out and snoozing off his meal. In about 3 hours we'll try again and see how he does.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Thank you for keeping us updated, Chris.

I'm sorry I was not more help this morning, but it sounds like some of the things we discussed are working out. I'm thrilled to hear that he has been able to eat! Yay Brodie!!
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
glidrz5

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 5:04 am

Val just having you to talk to and bounce some ideas toward me was a great relief and I truely appreciate it.
Now for another Brodie update.......
Brodie has been eating and getting sub-q'd every 3-4 hours since his vet visit. Tho he has stopped wanting me to syringe feed him. He now insists on doing it HIMSELF! He has continued to have minor siezures when eating while on a 1/2 dose of phenobarb tho at 4:30 he ate maybe .3-.5 cc of food with NO siezures at all! Unfortunately I was unable to sub-q him because he was too frisky for me to risk doing it by myself. We'll try again in about an hour and see if he can eat some more and get his fluids. Per the vet, we are to continue to sub-q through Friday every 3 hours or so with saline solution and to use the dextrose solution 2x (morning and evening).
I also weighed Brodie before his feeding. I hadn't weighed him since Wed morning when he was down to 69g. I am happy to report that Baby Bear is now up to 73g. I'm not sure how much he actually gained (he may have dropped lower than 69) but he has gained at least 4 grams.
Keep the prayers coming please.
Back to top Go down
glidrz5

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:58 am

Only the one siezure today, or if he has had more they have been so mild as to be unnoticable & he even continued to eat through them. He has contonued to eat well for me. I am hoping he continues to remain siezur free. He is still on the phenobarb & will remain so until we are told by the vet to discontinue it. Hopefully it is only a temporary condition brought on by his rapid weight loss & dehydration which in turn played havoc with his blood sugar.
Back to top Go down
glidrz5

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 11:05 am

Brodie has now gone 24+ hours without a siezure and is now up to 77g.
Back to top Go down
sherri

sherri

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 12:55 am

Siezures after eating 890490
Back to top Go down
glidrz5

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:35 am

Brodie continues to remain siezure free! However he is to remain on the phenobarb as we are not certain what instigated his siezing and we don't want him to start in again. He weight has also remained in the mid 70g range (74-77) and he is continuing to eat on his own. I didn't even have to sub-q him last night because he was staying nicely hydrated. On the downside, his sinuses have still been stuffy (one of the main causes of him not wanting to eat previously), but they are clearing up some making it easier for him to breathe and eat. I was also lucky enough to get some pus out of his nose that has been cultured and we are waiting on results of the sensitivity testing so hopefully we will be able to irradicate the nasty infection once and for all.
Back to top Go down
glidrz5

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:50 pm

One week later and Brodie continues to remain siezure free! His weight has continued to go up and he is now weighing between 83-86grams! While he is sleeping more than normal, when he is awake, he is bright eyed, alert, active and coordinated. His sinus's have also cleared up and tho I am still waiting on the results of his sensitivity test to figure out what has been causing the infections he is able to breathe without any signs of stuffiness. He is now back in with his family and is very happy, tho he looked a bit sad that he didn't get to spend the night on Momma again. I asked the vet about the phenobarb, and since we do not know the cause of his siezing, I am to continue the medication.
Back to top Go down
Cora

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 9:27 pm

YAY!!! Glad the phenobarbitol is working!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 11:47 pm

Chris, this is wonderful news!
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Siezures after eating   Siezures after eating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Siezures after eating
Page 1 of 1