The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worried about my boy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
malcorn7

Worried about my boy Empty
PostSubject: Worried about my boy   Worried about my boy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi! One of my gliders had a prolapse last week. I didn't hesitate, which I probably should have, and I took him straight to the vet. He stayed there for a whole week, which I hated but it might have been best for him. They said he had a good appetite the whole time, was able to relieve himself, and was taking his meds well so I took him home. He does take his meds (baytril) and he is eating/drinking. I saw him go to the bathroom today and it seemed painful for him?? He shook a little while doing it but never made a noise. I'm worried because he just doesn't look good in my opinion. He isn't taking care of himself and he looks to have a buildup of feces at his anus. Not a large buildup but it looks as maybe a small piece is always there. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at. I don't want to rush him back to the vet, as he has been stressed enough lately. Any ideas??
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my boy   Worried about my boy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Yikes! You left him at the vet for a whole week?

The only immediate advice I would offer is that Baytril has been found to often be very ineffective in gliders. It is unfortunate that it is the go-to antibiotic for so many vets. I will not allow my gliders to have Baytril any more unless it is the only option because the use of it so often results in the recurrence of the issue and/or an even more serious issue.

The shaking may just be a new habit from his time of over-compensating.

As always, you are welcome to give me a call.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
malcorn7

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my boy   Worried about my boy Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 12:51 am

Yeah, I know. I wasn't a fan of him being there that long. He seems to be doing well tonight. Was super happy to have be home from work and giving him his food! He is such a good little boy about taking his meds. I did mention Convenia (sp) to them but they said exactly what you said they would. So baytril it is. I took a pic of what his "bottom" looks like and I tried posting it here but couldn't. I'll send the pic to you in a fb message. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my boy   Worried about my boy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worried about my boy
Page 1 of 1