The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

weight loss

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
josefine

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 pm

I tried calling Val earlier, but she must be busy, so I am on here to get help & advice on Izzie in regards to her not eating, & loosing grams.  
Izzie, I feel, has never gotten over the death of Bella from several months ago. She still had Petrie,which did help some, but she has been kinda going downhill weight wise from way back then.
She was 128 the 1st part of May. She was down to 118 when we took her in 6/22, for her tail injury. Now I do know that meds will effect their eating habits, & many times not want to eat, but this has gone beyond that, I feel. Today, she now weighs 98 grams. She has just quit eating.
So, I made up a concoction of stuff, & am going to force feed her to get weight gaining going.
1/2tsp brisky's boostermilk
1/2tsp powdered egg from brisky's
1/2tsp original hpw
1/2tsp exotic nutrition instant hpw
1/2tsp exotic nutrition nutra glider w/acacia gum
1/2tsp gerber infant mixed cereal
1Tbl activia & 2Tbl apple juice.
I have this all mixed up, & would like to start getting her fed, but I wanted to get Val's take on it first, & since she is unavailable, I was hoping that I could get help from the rest of you guys. She has been depressed for being away from everyone because of her tail injury, & I know that will also effect her eating.
I thought she was healed well enough, & put her in with the others, & she evidently wasn't, because Maggie got on her, & she bit onto her tail. So, out she went again, & is now alone again. I have her with me as much as possible ever since Bella had passed. They were together for 7 yrs. She has always been the tiniest of gliders that we have, & the vet said she looked to be healthy to him, but I don't feel that anymore.
Should I add in some avacado tomorrow? I know that is fattening. I'm going to need to look up what the ingredients are to the glider crack, that would be good to get down her,too.
Maggie is loosing weight,also. She is dragging around loose skin,(where she once had 'boobies') & now when she eats, she has got to sit up to get food down. All the other 6 gliders are in great health, & weight. Maybe they aren't letting her eat enough,I don't know,I don't think that is it. I'm at a loss here.
Anywhoo, could someone help me out throgh all of this, because I (my girls) really need the help.
thanks
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 8:54 am

Personally I would not feed that mixed up concoction. I feel all that powdered stuff is not as nutritional as fresh. Why use powdered eggs when you can scramble up some fresh ones?? Plus you do not need 3 different forms of HPW powder. If she is loosing that much weigh then a vet visit with blood work and another fecal and urinalysis is in order. She might not have been positive when you had them done and now could be shedding cysts for a parasite. Might not be the issue but you need to rule them out.
I would feed an approved diet and maybe add in a bit of avocado to it every few days. Give a wide variety pf fruits and veggies.

You need to monitor them eating to be sure they are letting her eat and that she is truly eating. IF that means sitting down for an hour after you put the food bowl in to actually watch her eat then that is what you have to do.
Back to top Go down
srlb

srlb

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 9:11 am

She was doing fine when you had her on the HPW Plus and HPW Complete.....
Just sayin
Back to top Go down
http://www.critterlove.com
josefine

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 am

OK, I will call the vet to see about getting them both in today. I will NOT feed the stuff I made yesterday, I did find the recipe to the glider crack, so I will feed this to them both, I will add in the booster milk,though & I am going to make it runny, & will put it in a syringe & feed this to them throughout the day for the next several days.
I have tried staying up to check the feeding situation, but even by 1 am Maggie still hasn't eaten.
Thank you for your help in this, any other suggestions would be appreciatley welcomed.
Back to top Go down
josefine

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 am

Peggy, I didn't take them off your diet, I am still feeding it. I was thinking about going back to the original diet, but I had so much of your stuff, so I kept making it.
Like I said before though, Izzie hasn't been herself ever since Bella had passed, she has taken it so hard. I have been paying more attention to Izzie, she is depressed, & listless.
When Izzie was in @ the vets for her tail injury, the doc felt she was pretty healthy.
Looking back, I think both of the girls started loosing weight after Bella had died, & I just kept most of my attention on Izzie. Maybe Maggie has been suffering to.
They will be going into the vet asap.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:12 pm

OK so how many gliders in the colony that was with her?  Can you try to put one glider in with her and watch them like a hawk? Let them pla for a while each night as long as possible. You need to supervise this to make sure they do not groom the wound. I would PM Val about doing this and see if she has done it before with a good outcome and maybe you can get a buddy in the cage with her.
Back to top Go down
josefine

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I've been putting Petrie in the cage with Izzie off & on for quite awhile,a few hrs @ night, & he sleeps with her during the day, unless I have her with me in my bra. He has never bothered her tail, he has been very good, & loving.
He wants out of the cage @ night, though, to be with the other troops.
I called Val yesterday, & left a message on both of her phones, & she didn't respond, so I figured she must be pretty busy, not available, so, I opened up here instead. :o)
I called the vet this am, & they are going to call me back to see if they can fit me in today(only 1 doctor on duty today)or they will see them tomorrow sometime. It's almost 2:30 right now.
Back to top Go down
josefine

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

The vet office just called, & the soonest I can get them in would be on Monday, so I will be calling the other vet in Des Moines to see if he can see them. Hopefully he will be able to.
How often should I administer the glider crack? 1 syringe each 1/2 hour, or hour? A full syringe (1.0mL)?
I am so extremely depressed at the moment, I hope I can get in tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 5:06 pm

I would not wake her up during the day as she needs her sleep. Offer is in a dish at night and see if she eats it. If she is eating there is no need to administer it. Will she eat meal worms?

I would tell the Vet she is loosing weight and needs to be seen sooner then later. You could also collect a fecal and urine sample and drop it off and then take her in when you get an appointment.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Josefine, as I have told you repeatedly, you would be best off to choose ONE diet plan and follow it AS WRITTEN with NO MODIFICATIONS for a minimum of 3 months. I'm not sure why you are so against this, but it is almost impossible to give you any real help in regards to diet because you don't follow the advice given - you are always modifying things and adding things and it becomes confusing and difficult to follow for anyone trying to help you. If they were fine on the previous diet, then why on earth do you change it or come up with these unique ideas for feeding. Just stop. Your way is not working, so why not give this advice a try? These diet plans are successful for hundreds upon hundreds of gliders and have been for years. Trust that and give it a try.

We have spoken about this very glider and this very problem before. You didn't take my advice then. I'm not going to change the advice I gave/give you. As long as you keep doing the same things, you are going to keep getting the same results.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
josefine

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I will call back & remind them that I have 2 girls that are loosing weight. I have a hard time trying to collect the urine, (I will see what I can do) but I can take the feces in for the smear, float, & snap (?). But if nothing shows up, I will want him to run blood tests on them.
I made the glider crack, & needed to add 8oz of apple juice just to get it into a smoothie consistency.
I will set it out for them tonight, but if they aren't going to eat it on their own, I will be feeding it to them through the night.
All my other gliders are robust & healthy. The twosome males (gizmo & duckie) we got from 3 summers ago are kinda porkers.
Back to top Go down
srlb

srlb

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Quote :
Josefine, as I have told you repeatedly, you would be best off to choose ONE diet plan and follow it AS WRITTEN with NO MODIFICATIONS for a minimum of 3 months.

Val, I have been trying to tell her this for YEARS!!

Josefine, above you stated:
Quote :
1/2tsp brisky's boostermilk
1/2tsp powdered egg from brisky's
1/2tsp original hpw
1/2tsp exotic nutrition instant hpw
1/2tsp exotic nutrition nutra glider w/acacia gum
1/2tsp gerber infant mixed cereal
1Tbl activia & 2Tbl apple juice.

Please do NOT feed ANY of my diet plans, including the Original, if you are going to be feeding this to your gliders as well. It is just WAY too much in not only protein, but also you are taking a very HIGH risk of overdosing your gliders on vitamins. Thankfully none of MY products were listed in this madness.

It would not surprise me if their little systems have finally had enough. I have told you over and over and over again, you over feed, you over modify and you over worry.

You continuously say your gliders are not gaining weight or are not a good weight, yet, this glider you speak of was at 128 grams? How large do you want your gliders?

What is the 'perfect' glider in your eyes Josefine because Im sure the others as well as myself, really do no understand what your goal is you are trying to achieve......

Quote :
As long as you keep doing the same things, you are going to keep getting the same results.
AMEN!!

Josefine, you really dont even need to make glider crack. Just choose ONE DIET plan you want to use and stick with it. Remember your gliders can only eat so much in one night.
Back to top Go down
http://www.critterlove.com
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 7:03 am

Well now there you have it if you can not listen to these two Lady's who have had gliders for years and have nursed the worst of them back to health then you do not have your gliders best interest in mind. I would listen and do as they say if it were me.

Also if you are constantly poking at your gliders checking on them, force feeding and not letting them alone to sleep then you are doing more harm then good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

weight loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight loss   weight loss Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

weight loss
Page 1 of 1