The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weight Loss

Go down 
+2
Something_To_Believe_In
Usha77
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 7:42 pm

I wasn't sure if I should post this in Diet or Health, so I just chose one. Feel free to move this if needed.

A little over 2 months ago, we switched to HPW Complete. Around the same time, I started to branch out in the fruits and veggies I feed (definitely more healthy and less fattening in general, I think). I am in the process of weighing my gliders for the first time in months (I know. Bad Mom!) I used to weigh them every time I clipped nails and will definitely be going back to that routine, now. I have no idea if I should be worried or elated. I just got done clipping nails and weighing my "big fat quad" and I don't know if I can really call them that anymore. Tas has lost 21 grams, Tika has lost about 30 grams, Nynaeve has lost 30 grams, and Lan has lost about 35 grams. They are all a little fluffy still - Tas more than the others - but such a weight loss from diet switching only? I do have to say that they are all MUCH more active and playful and energetic than they were before and perhaps that contributed to the weight loss. Their coats are beautiful and their eyes are bright. I did notice the weight loss, but didn't realize just how extreme it has been since I have seen and held and played with them pretty much every day in this time. They still weigh 115-175 grams, but that is a huge difference from 145-196 grams!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Okay, just finished clipping nails and weighing gliders. My other two tubbies have lost weight, too. Toffee's lost about 25 grams and Zoey's lost over 30 grams. All of these gliders became overweight/obese on BML with mixed veggies and a small variety of fruit & seemed to sustain their weight gain on HPW with mixed veggies and a small variety of fruit. Switching to HPW Complete with a greater variety of fruits and vegetables seems to have done wonders for them. They are all so much more active and energetic and seem so healthy to me. A year and a half ago I had 6 very overweight gliders with 4 of them actually termed "obese" by the vet. I am willing to bet that I am down to 6 slightly overweight gliders with only one being "obese". My little gliders actually seem to have gained or sustained their weight with the switch in diets. The ones who've gained have only gained 5-7 grams and they all seem healthy and happy. Perhaps this should have been in diet instead of health? I am pretty darned pleased with the health of my gliders right now. I don't know if it's the HPW Complete or the wider variety of fruits and vegetables that I feel comfortable serving now thanks to The Sweet Spot and you wonderful ladies or if it's a combination thereof. All I know, is that my "fluffy" gliders haven't been this healthy and playful and energetic in years.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 8:28 pm

It has been my experience that most gliders experience a dramatic increase in energy level when they are fed more fresh fruits and veggies and a wider variety of fruits and veggies. Just like our own human bodies, the fewer processed, extruded and treated foods that they eat, the healthier they feel and the healthier they are. The healthier and more active they are, the easier the weight will fall off.

One of the reasons that I stopped feeding a diet with powdered/processed/extruded supplements and started feeding one of only human grade ingredients and fresh fruits and veggies is because I, myself, feel better when I eat more fresh foods and fewer processed foods.

Every person who starts feeding my diet (so far) has commented that their gliders have lost weight and are much, much more active. I attribute that to the wide variety of fresh foods in the overall diet. I have been feeding it so long that I don't remember what it is like to have gliders who AREN't this active until I visit with a friend who is not feeding my diet.

I'm happy for your little ones! Let us know how you feel about this activity level and weights in another few months. Weight Loss 835832
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Thank you, Val! I really do feel that it has a lot to do with finally bucking up and trying new things. And, I know they are loving it, too. I feel kinda dumb, actually, in having stuck with the frozen fruits (with some fresh here and there) and frozen mixed veggies for so many years. I adore giving them a variety and seeing how they love it really makes me feel good. This is just icing on the cake. I thought they were healthy, if a bit overweight, before, but now...wow!
Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 8:16 am

Val, what diet do you use?
Back to top Go down
http://www.highglass.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 am

Back to top Go down
Melindakay

Melindakay

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Something_To_Believe_In wrote:
It has been my experience that most gliders experience a dramatic increase in energy level when they are fed more fresh fruits and veggies and a wider variety of fruits and veggies. Just like our own human bodies, the fewer processed, extruded and treated foods that they eat, the healthier they feel and the healthier they are. The healthier and more active they are, the easier the weight will fall off.

One of the reasons that I stopped feeding a diet with powdered/processed/extruded supplements and started feeding one of only human grade ingredients and fresh fruits and veggies is because I, myself, feel better when I eat more fresh foods and fewer processed foods.

Every person who starts feeding my diet (so far) has commented that their gliders have lost weight and are much, much more active. I attribute that to the wide variety of fresh foods in the overall diet. I have been feeding it so long that I don't remember what it is like to have gliders who AREN't this active until I visit with a friend who is not feeding my diet.

I'm happy for your little ones! Let us know how you feel about this activity level and weights in another few months. Weight Loss 835832

I've been feeding Val's diet for a little over a month now Weight Loss 367 So far my gliders and I are loving it. They are bouncing off the walls and seem to can't wait for their dinner bowls to get in the cage. I've noticed that a couple of my too thin gliders have acutally gained a little weight, have more energy and look great! I love the variety and all the new things I am trying and like you Brenda can't believe all the frozen mixed veggies I have fed over the years. I think about it myself and YUCK! I would hate to have to eat frozen peas, corn, carrots and green beans every day, blah!
Back to top Go down
http://www.powderedsugargliders.com
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 8:15 pm

I know, right?! I feel bad that they are getting those tonight since I didn't go grocery shopping yet. :( Lol.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:12 am

OK I bought all of the main ingredients to Val's diet except the sprouts because all they had were spicy and Clover sprouts. I know spicy is a NOT but what are Clover sprouts?

I have several of the other add in's so tonight will be new dinner night for the kids. I am even going to try it on Mister "fussy" Magoo.

Val be prepared for a phone call LOL.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 4:11 pm

I told MelindaKay before that if anyone can't find the dried alfalfa, I'll be happy to pick some up and send it to you. I pay about $4 for a bag of it and it lasts me about 20 batches or so. Well worth it!
Back to top Go down
GliderNursery

GliderNursery

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I don't know the specifics of feeding HPW Complete vs. BML (the actual diet not the fruits/veggies part) as I've been feeding BML for over 4 years and have excellent results ~ no overweight gliders at all, and all very healthy. Just shows that gliders respond differently.

I would have to say that it's probably the combination of everything, new diet, added variety of fruits & veggies which increased their activity levels. Naturally the more exercise they get they will begin to loose weight.

It makes sense to me that if the glider is on a healthy balanced diet with increased activity levels, they are bound to loose weight; no different than if we did the same things with ourselves. As long as the weight loss plateaus out and doesn't become a problem, it looks like you found a great diet for your gliders! :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weight Loss
Page 1 of 1