The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions Regarding Possible Infection?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SugarShock

SugarShock

Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Empty
PostSubject: Questions Regarding Possible Infection?   Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 12:37 pm

On May 23rd, Stella went in for her second surgery, and all was well - the wound was successfully closed. Just a matter of hours later, the incision had opened itself a little bit (which you can see in the attached picture). Stella was monitored very, very carefully and was placed in an ejacket. She went back into surgery to close the wound again, and the same thing happened - it opened back up. My veterinarian decided that as opposed to closing it again surgically (and causing her more stress), that we would flush it with Iodine until it closed by itself (it's VERY small). My veterinarian suggested that the reason the incision site might be opening itself up is due to possible infection and that the infection might be resistant against the Baytril which he prescribed to her. He did take a culture, but the results won't be back until later today or Saturday. I have been scrubbing down Stella's cage each day, as well as her water bottle and food bowl. She is quarantined away from my other Gliders and I have been washing my hands AND changing my clothes in between handling. Is there anything else I should or can do to prevent an infection from spreading in case it MAY be contagious? Also, is it normal for an infection such as this to open up an incision site? I've had to deal with minor infections in Gliders before (post-surgery), but I've never seen one do this. The incision site is not inflamed, red or swollen, but it is secreting a thick, yellowish pus. There is no odor or smell of infection. There are lightish brown, almost orange patches around the incision site, they are hard and crusty-looking. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with something that looks like this, or possibly knows what kind of infection we might be dealing with? I'm just looking for some input until the culture results come back? I'm a very worried mommy. Questions Regarding Possible Infection? 652520

Before Cleaning & Flushing The Wound
Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Stella13

After Cleaning & Flushing The Wound
Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Stella14
Back to top Go down
http://www.sugarshock.forumotion.com
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Questions Regarding Possible Infection?   Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 3:10 pm

An infection in a wound is generally not a contagious issue. Yes, infection can prevent a wound from closing and healing. I'm not sure why she's had to have surgery, but I don't think she needs a collar or a jacket, particularly if she is not housed with other gliders.

To me, the crusty stuff you have in the picture looks like the skin granulating as it heals. So, perfectly normal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
SugarShock

SugarShock

PostSubject: Re: Questions Regarding Possible Infection?   Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Shawna,
I decided to put Stella in the ejacket after the incision opened up the first time as my veterinarian thought it was originally due to self-mutilation. I thought it was odd, because this happened to Stella back in November and she never mutilated the incision, it was incredibly difficult for her to reach due to the location.

Since he believed it was self-mutilation, I put the ejacket on her and monitored her even closer. She was with me all of the time, I did not leave her... and yet, it opened up again which is when my veterinarian decided it was due to infection. I wouldn't even chance putting an ecollar on her with the location of the incision, it would do more harm than good.

She's not housed with other Gliders currently and not for a very long time. This was the result of another Glider attacking her, I don't know what brought on the attack as these particular Gliders have been housed together for five years now and were littermates. However, I do not feel comfortable putting Stella back into that situation. She will be housed with my sweet little Willow once she heals COMPLETELY.

It's very reassuring to hear that it's probably not contagious, that makes me feel so much better and it's good to hear that it looks normal. :) Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Questions Regarding Possible Infection?   Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 4:55 pm

It is very normal for wounds that are closed this way to open back up in gliders. This is why we recommend that even very large wounds NOT be stitched closed.

If it opens again, don't close it. Let it heal. Begin using QuickDerm or Vetericyn on the incision once daily (no more). Don't flush or wash it. Don't cover it. Let it stay dry and heal. This has been going on a long time - far too long for a wound healed by primary intention (stitching shut). So, time to change tactics so that she will finally heal.

Baytril, in general, has proven to not be very effective for treating infection in gliders. Some people will report success with it, but in most cases, the infection returns if treated with baytril unless you treat for a very long time (i.e. 45 days). Most any other broad spectrum antibiotic is a better choice for sugar gliders.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
SugarShock

SugarShock

PostSubject: Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)   Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:27 pm

We received the results of the culture back today and it turns out that Stella Luna is carrying a bacterial infection known as Staphylococcus Aureus, or MRSA. Although she had another strain of Staph infection back in October, this one is very different. This infection is resistant to many antibiotics, including the antibiotic Baytril (Enroflaxin) that Stella has been receiving.

The incision site opened itself back up again due to the infection, and after discussing it at length with my veterinarian, we decided against doing another surgery to close it. Instead, we are continuing to flush the wound with diluted iodine twice a day, and using both Vetericyn and Soothe Cream after flushing. In addition, Stella is now receiving the antibiotic Sulfadiazine (Trimethoprim) orally twice a day, as well as Penicillin G once a day by sub-q injection. She will continue to remain on Meloxicam and Gabapentin for pain management. We are also sprinkling HEALTHzyme on her food to replace her natural bacteria.

You are probably wondering why I'm posting this. I would like to know if anybody has any experience with Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) and what your experience is. My veterinarian told me a little bit about it, and I've tried doing a couple of internet searches, but very little in relation to gliders came up and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Also, what are your experiences with both the Sulfadiazine and the Penicillin G? I'm more curious about the Sulfadiazine, I've never heard of it before. If anybody has any suggestions or general advice for Stella and me, it would be more than appreciated.

Finally, I've been having to handfeed her. I understand that the medications have probably significantly decreased her appetite, but I'd like to encourage her to start eating on her own again. Is there any tips or tricks you all have used to stimulate a glider's appetite? I don't mind handfeeding her at all, don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like to see her eat on her own! Her drinking, activity level and bathroom habits are still completely normal.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Lauren & Stella Luna
Back to top Go down
SugarShock

SugarShock

PostSubject: Red Spot... Stretch Mark?    Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm

I considered posting this in my topic on Stella's infection, but I am not really sure that it has anything to do with the infection at all - I am not sure what it is, so I figured I would post here.

I was giving Stella her medications this afternoon, and cleaning up the wound, so her coat was a little wet and I could see underneath to her skin. On her left hand side, at the top of where her ribcage would be, there is a little red mark. My first reaction was that I went too far with the injection this morning or it irritated her.. but it's on her side and definitely not anywhere near where I gave the injection. When I gave the first injection with the veterinarian, she flinched and it pulled a little, so my second thought was that it could be from that, but again, it isn't really in the right location. Could it be an allergic reaction to the Penicillin?

Maybe she has always had it and I am just noticing it now because she is wet, and perhaps I am overreacting. I tried to get a few pictures, but you can't really see it in them. It's a bright, pink color and looks almost like a stretch mark. It is only about a 1/4" long and very thin, like a little stripe and it is the only mark, I have not found another. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all, I just thought I'd ask and see what you all thought? Could it be a stretch mark? Birth mark? Is that possible on a Glider?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions Regarding Possible Infection?   Questions Regarding Possible Infection? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions Regarding Possible Infection?
Page 1 of 1