The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The many SMELLS of Infection

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

The many SMELLS of Infection Empty
PostSubject: The many SMELLS of Infection   The many SMELLS of Infection Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 7:47 pm

It is a gross subject to discuss, but the truth is that smell is one of the diagnostic criteria used when trying to pin-point a problem in gliders.

Recently, I have seen/spoken with many people who have assumed the worst or missed an opportunity to get to the vet earlier because of smells - either giving them too much credit or not enough credit.

So, I thought we could have a list of different smells and associated "issues"

Infection - even when there is NO necrosis can smell like decaying flesh/dead animal. This smell very often accompanies wet gangrene but can be present even when nothing is dying off.

Infection can also smell like fecal matter (poop)

Urinary tract/bladder infection has sometimes been linked to a fishy smell

Parasite infections can sometimes smell sulphuric

Pouch infections - especially if heavy yeast is present - sometimes smell sweet.

I'm sure there are others. These were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Jenny

The many SMELLS of Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: The many SMELLS of Infection   The many SMELLS of Infection Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 am

thanks for posting this.. i will follow my nose The many SMELLS of Infection 179825
Back to top Go down

The many SMELLS of Infection
Page 1 of 1