The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Long road ahead

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ssdreamsicles

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:58 pm

My persephone is in a bad way. Here is the info until now...

Persephone has had nice healthy babies always taking breaks. Both she and hades are very fluffy gliders. Hades at 180 and persephone at 150. Both have what we like to call man boobs. I may not be able to take each glider out daily but i see and interact with each one daily. I do a nightly cage check, water check and head check(all come out for treats). I clip nails and do weight every 2 weeks most of the time. I handle my gliders often just not eveyone everyday. I have to rotate as I have 12 gliders.

Dec 13th- Persephone was fine. Hubby was feeding glider treats and of course Hades and Persephone are always the first ones to plaster themselfs to the cage waiting with there hands out. She was alert and norm.

Dec 14th- Hubby had a boil lanced on the 13th and by the 14th had developed a high fever and I was very worried about him and trying to get him to go to the ER. I was very tired and worried so by the time I fed I had skipped treat time. I fed and did my norm cage and water bottle check. Did not see Persephone up. Did not worry sometimes she does not come out this early(it was around 9)

Dec 15th- I came home from work(was my 8 hr day). I sat down at the computer to cruise LGG and GC. At about 3 I saw her stumble out of her pouch and stager around. I jumped up and got her out of the cage. she was very weak and shaking. Eyes glazed. Very lethargic. This is what i found. Keep in mind she was fine 2 days before.
Long road ahead DSC_0081
Here is the fullsize link

https://2img.net/h/i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn58/ssdreamsicles4/DSC_0081-1.jpg

She had developed an abcess and it ruptured or one of them chewed it open. Ther are 4 holes in all. Her glider membrane on the left side just hang there limp. The whole wet looking area is very very thin skin that has become necrotic. She does have full use of her arm and leg it just seems to be the membrain that is affected by this. Sadly if she makes it she will need surgery to remove all the dead tissue and close it up as it is too large of an area to heal in its own. The abcess pocket goes all the way down to her pouch. The vet did not feel any masses at all. She is on Sub Q fluids, shot of convinia, baytril, pain meds and quick derm. After she is out of the woods and the vet feels she is healthy enough she will have surgery to remove what dead tissue has not sluffed off by then and close the wound. Sadly she my loose her patagium on the left side as it is also affected.

It was touch and go the first night. I feared I would loose her. She has now started to fight the sub-q and meds and crab some. She is more steady on her feet. I have seen some pretty bad abcesses in my life but never in a glider. Just about the entire left side was one big abcess. The vet thinks it could be due to a spider bite or a bite from somthing else. Sage says she saw a mouse a few days before this happend. Hades is now neutered but pretty much backs off now when she is in heat. There is every chance they got into a tuffle and he scratched her or bite her but its in a odd place. I wish Iknew for sure what happend. I just cant get passed how 2 days before she looked just fine. Mabey if she was not so fluffy I would have seen it? I'm not going to beat myself up much as I know I take good care of my gliders, but you can't help but doubt yourself sometimes when you dont see this. I'm going to keep a running update on this with pics and timelines as much as I can in hopes it will help others. Please keep her in your thoughts.

I have an e-kit, but it is missing a few things I should have had on hand. A warmer pouch was one of them. As soon as I can afford it I will definitely be buying one. I thought my e-kit was pretty complete until a real emgergency happend. Please go through your kits and make sure you have everything you might need. I can't kick myself enough for not having a warmer pouch. I mean heck I had a heat matt for the temporary hospital cage! But you can not travel with that. I will definitely be going through my kit to do more of a update on it. It just sits there unused and you just forget.

Last edited by Something_To_Believe_In on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling and grammar)
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 2:22 pm

One thing that we know about gliders is that their immune and metabolic systems work together to cause abscesses to pop up very quickly. So, a glider who is fine one minute can have a huge abscess a few hours later. You shouldn't beat yourself up for that.

You have a good treatment program so far. What is the purpose of/thinking behind sub-q fluids every day?
I might just urge you to be sure you are increasing protein in her diet during her time of healing and adding pro/prebiotics to her diet while she is on the medications.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
ssdreamsicles

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 3:02 pm

The vet wanted the sub Q to hydrate and keep her kidneys flushed as she felt she was becoming very septic. I've backed her down to once a day sub-q. I think after mon if she is doing well i will stop them fully.

Yes i will be adding more protien to her diet. What can i give her Pro/prebiotics?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:07 pm

I know that a lot of people give yogurt to replinish bacterial growth.

I use powdered acidophilus and/or this product:
http://www.primal-defense.net/
This is the product I have been using with my little malabsorbtion girl and it is making a huge difference for her.

Please do keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
ssdreamsicles

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:11 pm

How much of the Acidophilus powder should i use per night?

Back to top Go down
ssdreamsicles

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey Val i had a few Q do you have time for a phone chat?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes I do. Call any time.
As for the acidophilus, it does not take much to make a difference. Just sprinkle it over her staple food and mix it in.
Back to top Go down
ssdreamsicles

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 6:38 pm

i try calling but the phone just rings?
Back to top Go down
srlb

srlb

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:46 pm

There is also a product I have used before called Amerivet soluble 68.

Dr.T had me use this on the *wet chickens*, two very small joeys I had that were nursing like crazy but not gaining weight. After mixing a bit of this with some Original HPW and supplementing them a few times a day and adding some to moms food as well, within weeks they did wonderful and went to live in their new homes. One of them went to Queenduck and the other to BCChins.
Back to top Go down
http://www.critterlove.com
ssdreamsicles

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:21 pm

I got Persephone out today for her eve meds and I found some of the dead skin has come off. The muscle and tissue under looks good and healthy.
Long road ahead DSC_0162
Long road ahead DSC_0160
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Long road ahead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long road ahead   Long road ahead Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long road ahead
Page 1 of 1