The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Val's Green Variety Diet

Go down 
+13
Lhill
jeremylexie
DCMuffin
troynewdaddy47
Ikaria
bjve
rocat
viciousencounters
CharlieBear
Melindakay
BCChins
Something_To_Believe_In
tinkerbellesmomm
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bjve
Associate
bjve

Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Hmmm...everyone's gliders seem to love the diet right away. My quad of girls did not eat it last night, and only some the night before. Last night it could have been that they did not like the sliminess of the okra in the staple. I'm not giving up, just find it interesting :o(
Back to top Go down
http://www.highglass.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Mindy, increase your portions just a touch.

One thing that people pretty consistently say is that their gliders have more energy on this diet. More energy = needs more calories. So, increase the serving sizes just a bit until you are comfortable with it.

Bobbie, sometimes gliders don't like the particular mix. And, I have found that my own gliders don't eat as well if the mix has not been frozen, so try feeding them the frozen portions and see how that works.

As a tip: I ALWAYS utilize another fruit juice as one of my options (from the optional list). I find that it makes it a bit sweeter and they really like it better.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Ikaria

Ikaria

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Alright, so I increased the portions of the VGV just a hair and offered additional veggies. This morning, there is only a little excess of veggies leftover while everything else is cleaned up. Should I increase the portions of VGV little by little until they leave some leftover or should I be happy that they only left some veggies?

My gliders are loving the VGV a little too much I think. Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 890490
Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Are you feeding the staple frozen? Mine aren't touching the cubes...the solids in the cube are sitting there in the morning, still in near-cube form. And the once time I fed it unfrozen, it was slimey from the okra and they didn't touch anything that it touched. What extra 2-3 items did you add to your staple mix?
Back to top Go down
Ikaria

Ikaria

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 pm

The first night I fed it fresh and last night I fed it frozen. The ingredients I added to mine are: acacia gum, yucca powder, and the wombaroo powder.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Bobbie you should try a different combination of the extra ingredients. I have made 2 batches each different and they have eaten both really well.
I used yogurt/Yucca powder/Vitamin E as my extra ingredients in one batch and then
Vitamin E/extra fruit juice/honey in the other

Mr. Magoo is a very very fussy eater and he loves this stuff.

Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I think I'll do that, Brenda. I used okra in 2 of the batches, and have a feeling that's not a fav of theirs :o)
Back to top Go down
troynewdaddy47

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 12:00 am

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting. My girlfriend and I are the new owners of two twin girls. At first I was really worried and I found Val's number on Suz's site. I called her 5 times in the course of a day. In any case over the course of one month I have been feeding this diet with great success. When I get my twins they weighed 26 and 34 grams. Today is our 1 month anniversary and I weighed them last night. Peanut (previously 26 grams) weighs 46 grams and Sweetie (previously 34 grams) now weighs 54 grams. I am no expert but I'd say this is the best diet out :-)!

P.S. when I get my two girls they were said to be 8 wks oop although I don't believe this was the case. I was also told they were twins which I'm starting to doubt as well, but in any case I have 2 beautiful babies :-).
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 am

Troy!! I'm so happy to hear Peanut and Sweetie are doing so well! It is good to see you around. Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 890490
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 am

Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 367 Sounds like Peanut and Sweetie are doing great!! I feed Val's diet here, too, and have nothing but good to say about it. The monkeys love it, they're thriving and maintain good and healthy weights. So glad your two love it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
jeremylexie

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Does anyone know how many servings 1 batch makes approximately? And my only other concern would be are they getting too many green things? Like vitamin k and oxalates (the reason not to feed spinach daily)?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:36 am

From the original post:
Quote :
One batch makes roughly 70 servings (give or take).

Quote :
And my only other concern would be are they getting too many green things? Like vitamin k and oxalates
When one feeds a wide variety of nutritious foods, one does not have to worry about feeding "too much" of anything. That is one point of variety - to give a little of everything without too much of any one thing. One must worry about too much of something when they are feeding the same thing day after day, but not so much when feeding a wide variety.

Back to top Go down
Lhill

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 pm

I love this diet my gliders clean up every night and they also enjoy "junk food night". Today they will get yogurt, carrot juice, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt covered raisins, pecans, marigolds, sunflower seeds, banana chips, dried cranberries, tiny pieces of bread.. what a fun diet to give the little boogers a break! My Jax increase weight on this in just a few weeks he went from 48 to 78
Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 1956175960
Back to top Go down
jeremylexie

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 3:15 am

I am having trouble find Knudsen green juice, does it have to be this brand name? Checked walmart, hannaford, stop and shop, etc...
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 am

You can substitute another green juice if you like. You can ask your local grocery to start carrying it. That's what I did and now it is regularly on the shelves at United grocery store here in Borger. It will be found in the regular juice aisle of a grocery store, not in the produce section where other juices are.

Also try health food stores. Most of them carry organic juices.

Honestly, though, I switched to Knudsens because it stores better (I can buy 6 jars at once since they don't have to be cold stored until after they are opened) and because it is a much better value cost wise. But, you can use Odwalla Superfood juice as well. That is what I used before switching to Knudsens.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 1:41 pm

jeremylexie wrote:
I am having trouble find Knudsen green juice, does it have to be this brand name? Checked walmart, hannaford, stop and shop, etc...

In Stop and Shop it is in the Organic section it is not with the regular juices. I buy mine at Stop and Shop all the time.
Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 2:03 pm

I use Bolthouse Farm's Green Goodness. It shares most of the ingredients, and is more like a smoothie. The gliders and I love it!
Back to top Go down
jeremylexie

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Good idea. Hannaford has the knudsen brand name for other items. I work at the Exeter NH Stop and Shop and apparently we do carry it, heck I have even worked in that aisle before. The entire Knudsen display is hidden. Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 824604 No wonder I have never seen it around here before. I really like idea of this diet because mine are being butts and refusing most fruits and veggies.
Back to top Go down
boots081692

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi,
I am new here and I am looking into this diet for when i get my sugar glider pair. I was wondering if you could add chicken baby food and wambaroo high protein diet. Also could bugs and berries be add into the diet? can just about anything a sugar glider can eat that is healthy to them be add to the diet? I have the diet recipe I'm just wondering what can be add to it? I like that i will be able to feed a variety to my gliders. I just like trying and adding new things. I don't hav gliders yet but i am trying gather more info before i get them.
Thank You,
Melinda
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Melinda
I am sorry that I missed your question here.

The items that can be added to this diet are included in the diet write up. Chicken baby food, bugs and berries, etc, are not on that list.

Here is the list of additional/optional ingredients from the write up on the first page of this thread:
Quote :
IN ADDITION TO THESE INGREDIENTS, I also add 2 or 3 of the following to each batch. Again, I make each batch differently, so I vary what I put into each batch.

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon red palm oil
1/8 teaspoon liquid vitamin E
1/2 cup kale
1 crushed/pulverized SamE tablet
1 additional teaspoon of barley grass powder
1/2 cup fruit puree or a different flavor fruit juice
1/4 cup chopped okra
1 Tablespoon raw or manuka honey
1 Tablespoon Wombaroo High Protein Supplement powder
1 teaspoon Calcium Carbonate powder
1 Tablespoon acacia powder
1 Tablespoon yucca powder
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 am

Just sharing.

This is what I am currently doing when I make batches of food. This is milk thistle seed, bee pollen and chia seed all ground together in my coffee grinder.
Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Dietstuff
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:38 am

Is this to make it easier when making it nightly?
Please share your measurments of each and how much do you put in the mix! Are you replacing anything with the Chia Seeds?

How do you like the Chia seeds do you feel it fill's them up more? I was under the impression we as humans can take these as a diet aid because they make you feel fuller? They absorb water right?

Heading off to research Chia more.....
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:42 am

Now Brenda, you know I can't share measurements. Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 58607 I take that little cup and pour some of each into it and then grind. I never measure anything when I'm making food.

I don't make it each night. I make staple food once per week and freeze it. I do this just because it is what I am currently doing.

There is a thread on Chia seeds here in our ingredient checklist section.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:47 am

Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 606496 Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 78591 Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 824604 Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 652520 Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 71603
Back to top Go down
jeremylexie

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 9:50 pm

I have found flax oil, organic. But it has rosemary and other ingredients... Do I need to keep looking? Others that feed this diet do you feed several fruits and veggies each night? I usually do one or two but they get a variety.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Val's Green Variety Diet   Val's Green Variety Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Val's Green Variety Diet
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next