The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How about we swap recipes

Go down 
+2
Something_To_Believe_In
trigger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
trigger

trigger

How about we swap recipes Empty
PostSubject: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:40 am

I am always looking for something my furrkids LOVE for "off diet" nights so they have variety but still a good healthy meal.

My crew and my mom's LOVE homemade chicken or turkey and vegi soup

Basic soup (this makes a HUGE pot full)

boil 2-3 lbs fresh chicken or turkey (I use a lg stew pot)
remove meat to cool and debone
add your gliders choice fruits and vegis to the broth and boil til cooked (I use diced papaya 1/2 lg, diced sweet potato, rasberrie and blackberries, chopped bunch bok choy, froxen mixed vegi, diced apples, diced squash
I add the meat back in and add about 2 cups brown rice or whole wheat pasta

Cool and serve

I make a huge pot and freeze just a couple days worth in small containers to pull out throughout the month for a change of menu
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 12:27 pm

It's funny that you posted this, Jen. My pot of "Glider Gumbo" is simmering on the stove as I type.

Here are a few more than I do regularly:

Scrambled Egg bake

(Though I don't really bake it).
I scramble eggs with just a little bit of milk.
Just before they are done, throw in fresh veggies - any that you regularly feed your gliders. Scramble these veggies in with the eggs.
When the eggs are done, turn off the burner and top with shredded cheese
Cool and serve

Chicken Marinara

Boil a chicken breast
Cut into small pieces
Throw chicken breast into a large sautee pan with some diced green pepper, diced grape tomato, diced broccoli (really any veggie you want), fresh basil and a small can of organic, low salt tomato paste. Add about 1/4 cup water and sautee to a boil.
Simmer until sauce is your desired consistency

Prepare a pasta of your choice ( I always use spiral pasta - whole wheat)
Cool and Serve pasta topped with sauce

I serve this with a side of tossed salad and a fruit smoothie for dessert.

Stir Fry

IN a frying or large sautee pan - or wok - stir fry

Chicken and/or shrimp
Veggies ( I like to use carrot, sweet potato, sugar snap peas in the pod, bean sprouts, bell pepper, bok choy, jicama and green bean)
Diced Pineapple

Fry in a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking

Cool and serve over a bed of rice with a fruit smoothie as dessert.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Wow you sure this is glider dinner I will be right over with a loaf od French Bread.

I am going to makes Jens tonight and try it.
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:42 pm

I am going to come up with something fabulous...I will be in the testing phase the next few days. Now off to create. lol *Steals a piece of Brenda's french bread before leaving*
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
josefine

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:56 pm

There are some really good meals on glidergossip. Dahlia 2020 has quite afew good veggie, & fruit meals. Goldwinger(?) also has several to choose from. They have meals all in one catagory, & I bookmarked them, so i won't loose them. BUT I did copy them all, also, just in case i loose it on the computer.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:47 am

Per our discussions during the teaching time last night for the RRRoundup, I am bumping this thread and encouraging you all to add any other recipes that you have for glider safe and fun meals.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 am

Davie has suggested roasting squash for those gliders who are picky about their squash. It did not work for me with yellow squash and zuccini, but they ate the roasted butternut squash UP!

Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 am

Oh lookie here, I forgot to come back.

Yes, my gliders love roasted squash and sweet potato and are not fond of these two being raw.

So I must have the pickiest gliders alive. Every time I've tried to come up with something fabulous for them involving egg or chicken...they devour the egg/chicken and leave the veggies. It's like if either protein is there, no matter what, they are going to zero in on that.

So the only somewhat recipe I've got to add now is my Sweet Potato Hearts. (I call them hearts because I freeze them into mini heart shaped ice cube trays) I'm trying very hard to focus on veggies as they have never been very fond of them. They could go their whole lives without eating a carrot so this way is the only way I can get carrots incorporated into their diet every so often.

Sweet Potato Hearts
1 very large sweet potato, cooked semi soft in microwave
1 large carrot, grated very finely and lightly steamed in microwave
1/2 to 3/4 cup of frozen peas....no need to thaw
1 to 2 tbls of pure maple syrup

Remove skin from sweet potato and mash with grated carrots and maple syrup. Add frozen peas and freeze in mini ice cube trays. For your own amusement, try to buy mini heart shaped trays...for no other reason but it being really cute.

Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
Oplok

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 7:11 pm

This was just posted at GC by MrLittleTrevor, they are called Sugar GLider Meatballs. I think this is so cool, instead of the birthday cake, I think I will be doing this for my Sarah's 3rd birthday.

put the meat in the blender and set aside, then chop the veggies and fruits i just put them in the blender lol! and then mix it with the meat(chicken, beef, fish, shrimp whatever flavor it is) then add one egg mix them well then you can add acia gum, calcium HPW anything mix it well.. and make them into little balls.. and then just toss the meatballs in boil water(becareful!!!), when they float on the surface its done.

here is the full thread, I hope its ok to post it here.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1324892/gonew/1/Sugar_Glider_meatballs#UNREAD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How about we swap recipes   How about we swap recipes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How about we swap recipes
Page 1 of 1