The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UTI and I don't have a vet yet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
becnewc

UTI and I don't have a vet yet Empty
PostSubject: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:15 pm

I live a no-no state (CA) and one of my suggies is hissing while she's peeing, so I want to get her to a vet (and the other since they're new and have no background info available to me) but I have no idea where to turn. I found the number to a supposedly awesome exotic animal doctor right by me, but I don't know how to broach the subject or if I should just go to NV or what. I just want to make sure my babies get the best care possible and don't get taken from me. Any help would be really fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 pm

I know that we have members who live in CA and have vets in CA. Would you please PM me with a general idea of your location so I can see if we can help you out?
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
jungleflockmom

jungleflockmom

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

No worries about seeing an exotic vet in CA. If they are familiar w/gliders, they will see them and many do. Vets see all exotics, regardless of their legality. If you are near the Bay Area, I can help. Otherwise, check here or check w/exotic vets in your area.

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/
Back to top Go down
jungleflockmom

jungleflockmom

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Vets in CA (and doctors) don't report "illegal aliens". You can call any vet that sees exotics and ask if they can treat your gliders. If they are unfamiliar w/gliders, they should still be able to treat a UTI or call a glider-familiar vet like Tim Tristan or Brad Walsh for help. No worries. Either of these vets knows us and would happily help.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Thank you Dee!!!! UTI and I don't have a vet yet 947565

becnewc - do you have any specific questions about UTI in sugar gliders?
Back to top Go down
jungleflockmom

jungleflockmom

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm

California exotic vets - there are others that are not members of this association. Amazing how many there are when almost all exotics are illegal aliens. lol

Just goes to show how many exotics reside happily and well cared for in CA. Not to mention all the rabbits, etc that are legal.
Back to top Go down
becnewc

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:06 am

I guess my big question while I'm finding a doc for my girls is what to watch for to make sure she doesn't start mutilating and to know if there is anything I should add or remove from her diet while waiting to see the vet. I wanted to do a cranberry juice water mix or something initially but I read that UTIs are different in suggies and that it wouldn't help, so I wasn't sure.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:14 am

We will never advise you to self treat your gliders. If you believe you have a UTI, you must go to a vet. The only sure treatment for an infection (which is what a UTI is) would be antibiotics. I suggest you speak with your vet about using convenia.

Read up on the information in this forum.

Tell us about the diet you feed currently. We can maybe make some suggestions.

Also, tell us about the cage your gliders live in and the items you have in it for them. These things can help us help you. UTI and I don't have a vet yet 288672

Also, make sure you have an e-collar on hand in case she DOES start to mutilate.
Back to top Go down
becnewc

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:44 am

I have an appointment in less than an hour!!! =) So happy to get my girl seen. Thank you so much for all the help everyone. I'll post about the cage and items soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UTI and I don't have a vet yet   UTI and I don't have a vet yet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UTI and I don't have a vet yet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: MEDICAL ISSUES & PHYSICAL HEALTH :: Infections (UTI, yeast, pouch, bladder, etc)-
Jump to: