The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drooling?!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
budweiserqt

budweiserqt

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 11:12 am

Okay, I have a 5mo glider named Claire who just recently has started to have a wet stomach. I took her to the vet and he sedated, did xrays, pouch exam, dental exam and xray. Fecals came back negative, pouch looked fine he said and couldn't find any reason for her to be drooling or have wet stomach. A week later this was still happening so I took back to a vet and needless to say he didn't know much but did prescribe Baytril because her pouch seemed a little open. I'm not sure if that was because the previous vet opened it up to look and now it kinda bothers her? But the Baytril should help if it is infected. My question is, last night I saw the cause of the wetness. She went from dry, to grooming herself and became super wet. She makes like a kinda wet clicking sound while she does this. She seems to have wet sides of the mouth. Is this possibly overactive salivary glands doing this? At first I thought respiratory infection, but vet said no. I'm lost!!!! She's my favorite glider and I just want to know what is wrong with her but the vets didn't find anything!!
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 3:14 pm

I am sorry I have no idea what is happening to you girl. If someone with more experience does not answer your question today I would call Val personally and ask her as she would be the most experienced person to ask.

Please keep us posted on her.
Back to top Go down
budweiserqt

budweiserqt

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 4:26 pm

I'll keep an eye on her Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
budweiserqt

budweiserqt

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 4:26 pm

My breeder and friend Cora has been helping me but this is a hard one!!!!
Back to top Go down
DirtyPaws

DirtyPaws

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Hey there! I came here to research for you :) If I were you, I'd go ahead and message Val to see what she knows, or her ideas as of what to be asking a vet to check into.
Back to top Go down
http://dirtypaws.webs.com/
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:15 pm

If she is not experiencing a health issue, then I would just chalk it up to a difference and let that be it. Gliders are as varied in their behavior/quirks as people.

I would suggest a blood smear as a good snapshot of what is going on internally - and urinalysis. If these come back fine as well, then I would count it as a difference rather than a disorder.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
budweiserqt

budweiserqt

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 9:23 am

I found a vet in town willing to do a urinalysis! He's not exotic so will he know what he is looking for? For the blood smear, does she need to be sedated for that?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 10:40 pm

No, he does not. Though it is easiest if he is.
Many people simply clip a nail too short to get the blood smear. You only need a drop of blood.

I saw your update on FB that his tongue is no longer there.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
budweiserqt

budweiserqt

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 6:05 am

I can't believe I forgot to update here!! The vet said that she has no tongue. It healed fine and no infection. He sedated to get a better look and yup it's just gone at the base back there. Still drooling but I can imagine why. She has actually gained a gram since this all started and drinks water fine. He said her airway was clear so she should adapt just fine. Has anyone heard of this ever happening? I saw no blood ever and he said when he saw her a few weeks ago, she had a tongue. So weird!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drooling?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drooling?!   Drooling?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drooling?!
Page 1 of 1