The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rehoming Joeys

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gdominguez

gdominguez

Rehoming Joeys Empty
PostSubject: Rehoming Joeys   Rehoming Joeys Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 9:56 am

I am fairly new to sugar gliders, and my pair has had a sucessful birth. I was wondering on average how long OOP should a Joey be before she can be rehomed... She seems to be very healthy and gaining weight well. I have not noticed her eating, as mine dont usually come out to eat until I am already in bed, but I also have not seen her nursing anymore either.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

Rehoming Joeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming Joeys   Rehoming Joeys Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:39 pm

My rule of thumb is minimum 9 weeks old but 10-12 is better as they learn a lot from their parents at that time.

As far as eating on their own they start to come out at night and nibble foods around 6 weeks but I have seen Joey's taste things earlier if they come out or you offer Mom and Dad treats in the pouch.
Back to top Go down
gdominguez

gdominguez

Rehoming Joeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming Joeys   Rehoming Joeys Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Thank you, I only give treats (live mealworms) when mom and dad come out of the cage to play... A little extra incentive for them to come out... I give other treats in the cage, but they really love to come get meal worms. My female was older when I got here, and wasn't handled much at a younger age so I am having difficulty getting her to bond. She's a bit wild and still wants to run away when I get her out. Since I have been handling the baby alot, she will sit in my hand afterwards, I am guessing because of the babys scent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rehoming Joeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming Joeys   Rehoming Joeys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rehoming Joeys
Page 1 of 1