The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Australian Wombaroo Diet

Go down 
+2
FancyGliders
sugeebaby
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

Australian Wombaroo Diet Empty
PostSubject: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 am

Wombaroo HPS Solution is made by suspending 1⁄4 cup HPSTM powder (25g) into 1⁄3 cup warm water (75ml) and mixing well.
Daily Feed amount per animal
Approximate feed proportions of diet are:

Fruit & Vegetables 20g diced Fruit & Veg with 2 tsp. of Wombaroo HPSTM Solution* poured over it.Small Carnivore FoodTM
Live Food 1g mealworms, crickets or other invertebrates

2g (1 level teaspoon) of prepared Wombaroo Small Carnivore FoodTM made up as a moist crumble Note: With a fork, mix 1⁄4 cup Small Carnivore Food with 4 tsp. of water until a moist crumble is formed

Blossoms & Foliage
It is also recommended to provide as much native (Australian) blossom and foliage as possible (e.g. eucalyptus, acacia, callistemon).
Larger branches of eucalyptus are also beneficial to stimulate natural foraging behavior such as chewing of bark.

Pollen
Pollen from native plants is a natural part of the diet and is often consumed by gliders in conjunction with nectar. However most commercial forms of pollen (ie Bee Pollen) are harvested from bees and are not nutritionally equivalent to the native plant pollen consumed by gliders (bee pollens are large agglomerations of pollen grains bound together with carbohydrates). As a result, bee pollen is significantly less digestible and offers little additional nutritional value to captive gliders already being fed a balanced diet. The range of amino acids, vitamins and minerals found in plant pollen are also contained in Wombaroo HPSTM, so we believe the addition of pollen to this diet is unnecessary.

Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
FancyGliders

PostSubject: The AWD Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Has anyone ever used this diet or know anyone that has? I'm really considering using this diet as suggested by my vet, but would like to know more about it and its effects.
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 6:41 am

I have been feeding the high protein supplement to my gliders for over 10 years. When the carnivore Fare and Nectar was available in this country about a year that is when I started feeding those to my gliders. I have healthy active gliders. I have clean plates every night. I love the free range of fruit and veggies I can serve.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 8:55 am

Karen just out of curiosity/interest can you give a few examples of what you feed daily on this diet? Do you add the blossoms & foliage or do you just use Bee Pollen?

I find diet fascinating even though some scare me.
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 9:23 am

Do not use bee pollen. I use foliage and blossoms.
Yesterday they had :
edamane
chico
water chestnuts
blueberries
sugar cane
zucchini
red peppers
spinach
carnivore fare
nectar
I pour the hps over the fruit and veggies like a salad dressing
Bowls were liked clean.
Thursday night instead of the carnivore fare I gave them shrimp.

Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you

Do you get your foliage & blossoms local and where do you find a good variety?

Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:01 am

I'm really having a hard time figuring out the measurements for the components of this diet. I'm trying to give it a fair shot but I feel like I'm overdoing both the Small Carnivore Food and the HPWS.

I understand the HPWS solution should be made
Quote :
by suspending 1⁄4 cup HPSTM powder (25g) into 1⁄3 cup warm water (75ml) and mixing well.
Then, 2 tsp per glider, per night, right? How many tsp. is the 1/4 c powder with 1/3 c of warm water supposed to make?

Also, 20g sliced fruits and veggies per glider per night. I have 5 gliders. Should I actually be getting out a scale and weighing 100g of fruits/veggies per night or is there somewhere that tells me what approximate portions are? I'm hoping that soon, I'll be able to eye the amount pretty closely like with past diets.

1. I know I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be, I'm sure. If I have 5 gliders, bottom line, my understanding is I should be feeding 10 tsp. HPWS solution poured over 100g fruits and vegetables, correct?

2. Now, Small Carnivore food.
Quote :
2g (1 level teaspoon) of prepared Wombaroo Small Carnivore FoodTM made up as a moist crumble Note: With a fork, mix 1⁄4 cup Small Carnivore Food with 4 tsp. of water until a moist crumble is formed.
Same question as before-how many tsp. should that make? With 5 gliders, I'm feeding 5 tsp. prepared Wombaroo Small Carnivore Food and mixing it in or putting it on top, correct?

3. Where does the live food come in exactly? I read it should be 3% of the diet? How in the world do I figure out how many mealworms are 3% of what I'm feeding?

Truly, I just need someone to break this down for me into measurements for 5 gliders. I feel like I'm just doing math problems and the answers aren't correct.

Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 7:41 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "recommended serving" meant for a 130 gram glider, Karen? I swear someone told me this. If that's the case, then Kylah, if you're feeding the 2 tsp. per glider of Wombaroo, then it's likely they won't eat it all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:18 am

I haven't been feeding that much because it just looks like so much! I know that defeats the purpose of following a diet but that's also why I need help. Both that and the Small Carnivore food just LOOKS like so much. What I do feed, they finish.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:21 am

This is just my opinion and I have no real idea if the general rule for this diet applies BUT
with most diets you keep adding a little bit more each night until they are leaving a small amount. I would think gliders know when they are full and will stop eating. This way if they leave a tiny bit you know they are not hungry and if they finished it all then they might want/need a little more to satisfy them.

JMO
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:25 am

I've always done that as well. I just get concerned when there are measurements that are supposed to be proportionate and percentages get involved. (I think Karen is at an Expo today)
Back to top Go down
CandyOtte

CandyOtte

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:50 am

Fruits are not all the same density so there would be no single volume measurement for 100 grams. 100 grams would feed many gliders.

You may want to prepare your fruit mixture and divide it into portions for the number of gliders you feed each night. These portions could be frozen. By calculating the weight of the portions you could figure how many portions equal 100 grams then divide the Wombaroo powder/water mix evenly between the portions equaling 100 gms
Back to top Go down
http://GliderKids.com
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Sorry I am at expo so i am not going to spend the time and read through all the posts.
Kylah with this diet you do not have to measure the fruit and veggies. The measurements are for approximating what you give them but you don't have to measure. i go to the store once a week buy a ton of different fruit and veggies chop them all up through them in a bowl and put them in the fridge. I then scoop out 2 tablespoons of fruit and the same of the veggies per two gliders.
Mix with a fork 1/4 cup of carnivore fare with 4 teaspoons of warm water. You want it tow be crumbly like streusel. You give 1 teaspoon per gliders of it.
The beauty of this diet is there real is no measuring of fruit and veggies or ca:p ratio.
Yes Aimee you are correct on the recommended serving.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:24 am

Do you save the rest of the Small Carnivore food? How much of the HPWS solution do you give and the live food?
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 9:51 am

You can make enough carnivore food for a couple of days and put it in the fridge. As for the HPWS mix, try 2 tsp per glider. If there is food left over, then feed a bit less. Live food - mealworms, obviously. Some people feed crickets, though unless you know where they come from and how they are raised, I'd be careful with that because of aflatoxins. I suppose you could do roaches (*shudder*) - I'd stick with mealworms LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks, Aimee!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian Wombaroo Diet   Australian Wombaroo Diet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Australian Wombaroo Diet
Page 1 of 1