The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fruit Is Unimportant?

Go down 
+6
JazzNZoeysMom
Something_To_Believe_In
pockietprincess
CandyOtte
GliderDad
dpatters28
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dpatters28
Associate
dpatters28

Fruit Is Unimportant? Empty
PostSubject: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 am

I hope I'm posting this in the right area (and I hope it hasn't already been covered. I checked and didn't see anything about this, but I'm the guy who searches for the cellphone that's in his hand). I just want everyone's opinion. I was talking to someone who lives in Australia and deals with sugar gliders on a pretty regular basis. She said that fruit isn't nearly as important to a gliders diet as veggies. In fact, she said she will only feed them fruit once or twice a month. She said that veggies have all the same nutrients and are better for them. It just seemed odd since everyone is always saying how important fruits AND veggies are to gliders. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
GliderDad

GliderDad

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 am

I'm no expert and I don't know of any research to that effect, but I HOPE it's true! I have trouble getting my girls to eat any fruits except for the occasional apple or orange maybe once a week. However, I dont see how else they would get vitamin C unless they take supplements.
Back to top Go down
CandyOtte

CandyOtte

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Nutritionally, fruits and vegetables are pretty close. Many fruits are richer in vitamin C than most vegetables but it certainly is possible to cover all necessary vitamins and minerals eating a wide variety of vegetables and very little fruits.

There are a lot of 'fruits' we also classify as vegetables - such as the tomato that is a good source of vitamin C.

My gliders seem to like their fruits and vegetables equally well, but there have been nights that I was out of fruits and they got two vegetables and ate just as well as usual.

It is much easier to get a wide variety to offer gliders if fruits are included in the choices on your menu list of foods you use most often.
Back to top Go down
http://GliderKids.com
pockietprincess

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm

If you are worried about the vitamin C, here is a list of veggies that contain good amounts of it:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-011101000000000000000-w.html

It seems like peppers are a really good vegetable source of Vitamin C.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 am

I agree that part of the reasoning here is the variety that is available. And, for me, it is important that I offer a variety of nutritious foods. Variety is not so important to others, so I can see where they would not offer as much of one or the other.

Also, I believe that there is an issue of availability in some areas. There are parts of this country where fruit (other than apples and oranges) is more difficult to come by in the winter months. For those times, I see nothing wrong with offering fresh veggies instead. There are other options (such as juicing or using fruit juice and/or making smoothies during the summer months and freezing for use in the winter), but if one chose to offer only veggies instead, I don't think that is a terrible option.

Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
JazzNZoeysMom

JazzNZoeysMom

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:57 am

Very good thread. Puts me at ease with my picky eaters.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Although I do offer a variety of fruits and veggies every night, it's rare the fruit is ever more than half eaten. I had heard this about the veggies before, which is why I've never really stressed about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 pm

So why do people and pet store think suggies love apples? Mine hate them! My boys are obsessed with organic peas and corn. I have had to take the corn away because Stubby is a bit too heavy! I offer them 4+ each fruits and veggies per night and the veggies are always the first thing to go. I figure if they want fruit, it's there.
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Good thinking. For mine, I swear it depends on their mood.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Feather

Feather

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Sometimes their dislike of a fruit is the kind of apple, mine wouldn't eat apples until I tried Red Delicious apples.

Apples are not their favorite fruit, but they will eat the Red Delicious.

People think gliders love apples because that is what pocket pets recommend you feed with their pellet only diet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fruit Is Unimportant?   Fruit Is Unimportant? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fruit Is Unimportant?
Page 1 of 1