The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vet Check List Please

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bbjoeys

bbjoeys

Vet Check List Please Empty
PostSubject: Vet Check List Please   Vet Check List Please Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 am

Our vet does pom off neuters. IHe is a wonderful vet who has seen many sugar gliders. Is there a checklist of things I can discuss with him beforehand to ensure he does everything the glider needs (e.g. post neuter meds, e collar). I do have an e collar at home in case of issues. I did not use it at all with my last glider neutered, but should it go on during the surgery before he wakes up, or do I use it if needed only? Also, what is th protocol for returning him back to the cage and wheel? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Vet Check List Please   Vet Check List Please Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 10:17 pm

I generally return a glider to his cage and wheel right away assuming he is doing fine with no complications. A little extra grooming at the sight is normal as long as he isn't chewing and opening it up.

Definitely have him get meds after the neuter and see if you can be there with him when he wakes up to keep him from biting at himself as some do when coming out of anesthesia. I have heard people like to give treats to keep them occupied during that time? Bring the e-collar with (make sure you try it on your glider first to make sure it fits!) just in case, but hopefully it won't be needed. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Vet Check List Please   Vet Check List Please Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 am

Brenda gave you some great advice.

Really, it is best to just return them to their normal lives - cage, wheel, etc - after a neuter unless there are complications (which are very rare).

I DO put my gliders in a collar before they wake up, as this gives them something other than themselves to fight with upon waking. Once they are fully awake (about 20 minutes or so), I remove the collar and see how they are doing. Yes, lots of treats after he is awake enough to safely eat them

Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Vet Check List Please   Vet Check List Please Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Something_To_Believe_In wrote:

I DO put my gliders in a collar before they wake up, as this gives them something other than themselves to fight with upon waking. Once they are fully awake (about 20 minutes or so), I remove the collar and see how they are doing. Yes, lots of treats after he is awake enough to safely eat them

That's a great idea and good reason to put an e-collar on before they wake up. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get another boy. Neuters are so expensive up here and I have had 1 bad experience out of the 3 I've had done (thus the advice to make sure the e-collar fits BEFORE bringing him in!), so I have shied away from getting boys, which is why I have 9 girls and only 4 boys (one was already neutered when I got him).
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vet Check List Please   Vet Check List Please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vet Check List Please
Page 1 of 1