The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS

Go down 
+2
thefotokat
medic7909
6 posters
AuthorMessage
medic7909

HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Empty
PostSubject: HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS   HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Ok I really need help. My daughter has lost 2 gliders in the past 6 months. We had a breeding pair that had three babies 2 boys and a girl. This was several years ago. We have had the parents for about 3 years abd the babies for about 2. We have never had any problems with them. The "dad" was fixed about a yr ago. about 6 months ago the mom was found dead in the bottom of the cage with no warning. one of her legs was chewed off. she showed no signs of being sick. Today I found one of the male "babies" dead and half eaten. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. Someone help us please we dod not want to loose anymore. Their diet is hpw and has not changed. there is always some left so i dont think we are under feeding them.
Back to top Go down
thefotokat

thefotokat

PostSubject: Re: HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS   HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:35 pm

First thing to do is schedule a vet visit. You need to rule out illness. The vet will need to do at least fecals and urinalysis along with a physical exam.

Gliders are prey animals and will mask symptoms of illness for as long as they possibly can. Unfortunately, it's not unusual to "suddenly" find them dead. Often times, the initial signs of illness are very subtle, such as change in activity level or other behavior changes. Cannibalization is also not uncommon. I know it's difficult to lose a glider, but all you can do now is care for the ones you still have, and a vet visit is a must.

Back to top Go down
http://site.southeastsugargliders.org/
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS   HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 pm

I agree. Getting them to a vet is pretty important at this point. Simple fecal tests can rule out a lot. If it's parasites which can happen, (happened to me twice a few years ago) they can be treated with meds. If untreated, you could lose them. Having the vet run the fecal and urinalysis can rule out a lot and potentially save the rest of them.

Good luck to you. I hope everything is alright. If you need help finding a vet, we could help find one in your area, just let us know where you are located.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS   HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 7:39 am

Questions for you

* were the two male joeys neutered?

* What room are they kept in?

* What is the temperature of the room they are in?

* Where do you get your cage accessories (pouches, hammocks, toys, etc)?

* Do you feed the HPW as the diet is written, or a variation?

* What bugs/insects do you feed and where do you get them?

* Do you use any air freshener or spray cleaners in the room where the gliders live?

* What is your cleaning routine for their cage and what products do you use?

* When was their last vet visit?

Lets start with these. This will help us begin to narrow down what might be going on in your home.

In the mean time, get them all in for a wellness check and if you should loose any more of them, have a necropsy done right away. If you are not sure how to go about that, then give me a call.
806-274-9177
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS   HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 8:11 am

I am sorry for your losses.
I hope you find some answers soon.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS   HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:58 pm

We had advised her yesterday to get a necropsy done on the newest. Any updates?
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS   HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP MY DAUGHTER HAS LOST TWO GLIDERS
Page 1 of 1