The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pasteurella

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Pasteurella Empty
PostSubject: Pasteurella   Pasteurella Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:02 pm

There are at least two different types of pasteurella bacteria (I'm not sure how many, but I am familiar with two).
1) Mannheimia haemolytica
2) pasteurella multocida

Many people think of rabbits - and specifically rabbit death - when they hear pasteurella. However, it is a commonly occurring bacteria in many different species, especially farm animals. So, it is transmittable to gliders even in homes where there are no rabbits. It is very easily spread, and it is also zoonotic (which means that humans can contract it).

Pasteurella is treatable. The problem is that it tends to spread very quickly. It is not always fatal and is often missed. A culture is necessary to diagnose.

So, if the question is "can gliders get pasteurella?" then the answer is YES.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
BelladonnasMom

BelladonnasMom

Pasteurella Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pasteurella   Pasteurella Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:27 am

Don't house cats carry it? Seems ot me it was one of those things that popped up when I was researching to get Browser. Something about not letting cats get on top of the cage or getting their mouths on the bird? I could be crazy though... as usual.
Back to top Go down

Pasteurella
Page 1 of 1