The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Callous on neck?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Callous on neck? Empty
PostSubject: Callous on neck?   Callous on neck? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Has anyone ever seen a female glider with a large callous on her neck? There is no blood, but it's hard. Maybe could have been a mating wound and scabbed over? So strange...should I go to the vet? She seems fine!
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

Callous on neck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callous on neck?   Callous on neck? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 7:22 am

It is possibly an old mating would. I would keep an eye on it (check it when she is out at night, no need to wake her up to check it) for signs of swelling or any change. I would take her in if it changes or is very soft like it could have puss in it. Otherwise just keep an eye on it.
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Callous on neck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callous on neck?   Callous on neck? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 am

Cool, thanks Brenda! She has only been with the boys for one cycle :(
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

Callous on neck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callous on neck?   Callous on neck? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 8:03 pm

That kind of sounds like what Lan has. It's kind of a hard, but movable, bump right in the place I would expect a mating wound would be if he were female. The vet aspirated it and got a few cells and she is pretty sure it is a benign fatty tumor. She said the cells looked and behaved like lipoma and for me to just keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger or changes, then we may need more testing. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Callous on neck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callous on neck?   Callous on neck? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Yup, that sounds about right! I will keep an eye on it and if I have to seek out treatment, I'll post to this thread so you can see it :)
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Callous on neck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callous on neck?   Callous on neck? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Hey Brenda, it turns out that Bella had a massive scab. Someone (or she did) groomed it off the other night. Another smaller one formed and she seems to be fine. The area is hairless. Everyone is leaving her alone. After two heat cycles of the boys harassing her, I think she will need to be separated next cycle. I don't want that scab to break open or get infected! They are pretty rough on her. Hope than LAN is feeling better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Callous on neck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callous on neck?   Callous on neck? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Callous on neck?
Page 1 of 1