The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Wombaroo High Protein Diet

Go down 
+4
sugeebaby
kyro298
finnessa
Something_To_Believe_In
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wombaroo High Protein Diet   The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 7:07 pm

I asked because it is not coming up as a specific diagnosis on necropsies. However, we do still have liver disease as the leading cause of death in sugar gliders. So, this is very interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
finnessa

finnessa

PostSubject: Re: The Wombaroo High Protein Diet   The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 7:24 pm

I have to email back for something anyway, I'll ask in my email and let you know his response.
Back to top Go down
DirtyPaws

DirtyPaws

PostSubject: Re: The Wombaroo High Protein Diet   The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Okay from what I've read & remember from the demo, I do believe the cookie was just a "vehicle" to encourage the gliders to eat the suspension.

Val I did toss my glider's food best I could before putting it in their cages so most of the powder was absorbed. My new platty boy ate it all! Even the powder I couldn't get mixed in (it is more than a "sprinkle") My other 2 cages had nursing mothers so I feed for 3 rather than 2. One cage I felt ate their 2 portions & the other cage I felt ate closer to 1 portion. BUT these gliders have always been picky about fruits ~ hence my further conversations w/Suz Saturday evening about feeding optional fruits & veggies. She said the list was not set in stone & that variety was most important (each night.)

Melinda I can scan & email you the diet sheets we were given.

If I can get confirmation that the cookie is not needed I would consider this diet when the other component becomes available.

My concern is calcium content. And to be honest if it's on the info sheets given to us I overlooked it trying to hear all of what Suz was saying during the demo (have to read lips) & I have not looked @ them since.

My personal plan for the powder if I decide to feed HPS, is to cut my fruits/veggies & place them in a container w/the powder, shake & set while I gather plates & foragers & clean them. Then scoop the servings appropriately. I think w/juicy melons & slightly wet leafy greens the powder should soak in well & Suz agreed, but I don't know what Wombaroo would say.

Thank you so much for starting this thread!

Oh! Another thing I am interested in is if they do full necropsy/hyst. & also how often & how long have they been doing them. I just want to know that we are making good comparisons if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://dirtypaws.webs.com/
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: The Wombaroo High Protein Diet   The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:52 am

Melinda the hand out will be available on the TGI website this week end as a PDF
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
finnessa

finnessa

PostSubject: Re: The Wombaroo High Protein Diet   The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 7:48 am

Sent: Wednesday, 21 March 2012 11:17 AM
To: wombaroo@adelaide.on.net
Subject: Re: Sugar Glider Diet

Thank you for your response, it helps greatly in learning more of the diet side of things and making sure it gets done properly here in the states. I do have a few more questions though.

1. I see the mention of ISD in your dialog with Alden. You recommend against using the fortified toddler cookies. Do you see ISD often in Sugar gliders in Australia? There are owners currently looking into seeing if this is common here as well.
2. Would you happen to know of any special testing done there to determine ISD in Sugar Gliders?
3. Would you happen to know if your diet recommendations in your guideline are widely used in Australia?
4. Do you think the use of "natural food supplies" would vary from Sugar gliders in Australia vs. Indonesian ones? Ours are believed to have originated from Indonesia. Would the requirements be similar and not risky to use something not truly "native" to our own?
5. Do you mind if I pass these questions/answer correspondings along to other owners?

Thank you for your time,
Finnessa

Hi Finnessa,

We are always happy to answer questions about animal nutrition. In response to your news questions:

1. No we do not have clinically diagnosed ISD reported often in Sugar Gliders here in Australia, and we are not suggesting that it is a widespread problem. But we have certainly heard of reports of high levels of circulating iron as well as tissue deposition of iron in necropsied animals kept in captivity. ISD may be under-reported because very few people get necropsies done of dead animals. The main point is that these animals have low levels of iron in their natural diet so why should we be feeding them a high content of iron in a captive diet?. As many human foods are fortified with iron then it makes sense to avoid them as dietary items for gliders.

2. There is no special testing done for ISD in Sugar Gliders in Australia – its not really considered a major problem here. Most vets should be able to diagnose ISD, or at least the precursor condition of hemosiderosis (iron accumulation in body tissue).

3. We’ve been feeding Gliders in captivity for over 25 years. As in the US, there are many variations to glider diets also in Australia, but the majority probably use Wombaroo HPS as part of their diet. We are not telling people what to feed – we are simply providing guidelines for how to supply a balanced diet to captive animals.

4. The digestive physiology and nutritional requirements of Australian and Indonesian gliders would be very similar.

5. No problems!

Kind regards,

Gordon Rich.

Wombaroo Food Products / Passwell Pty Ltd
PO Box 151
Glen Osmond
SA 5064
Ph 08 8391 1713
Fax 08 8391 1713
www.wombaroo.com.au
Back to top Go down
Melindakay

Melindakay

PostSubject: Re: The Wombaroo High Protein Diet   The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 am

sugeebaby wrote:
Melinda the hand out will be available on the TGI website this week end as a PDF

The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 367
Back to top Go down
http://www.powderedsugargliders.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wombaroo High Protein Diet   The Wombaroo High Protein Diet - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Wombaroo High Protein Diet
Page 1 of 1