The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need help for sick glider

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mahony

Need help for sick glider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 8:09 pm

We have two gliders and male (bear) and a female(sugar). Our boy bear is the one with the problem he is shaking and not sleeping. I contacted the company we got them from for help they told me it was a calcium problem and gave me two mixes to make. I have been forcing it with a syringe but he is not getting better. I am very worried. I found your site today. I no longer think that it is a calcium problem for they both eat the same thing pellets and fresh fruit. Our babies are just now getting used to our boys and us and are coming out to play every night. Bear jumped from one of my sons to the cage 3or 4 nights ago and missed the cage and hit the floor he seamed fine and continued to play but now I am worried the hit was harder than I thought and am very scared that I am losing him. I will be heading to a vet tomorrow but what else can I do tonight I feel very helpless.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 8:29 pm

mahony, while it is always possible that he was injured in the fall, gliders glide from tree to tree in the wild, and they hit their landing tree pretty hard. That being said, the shaking and not sleeping is a cause for concern, so you definately need to see a vet. We would love to hear back from you once you go. We can also offer some suggestions based on what the vet tells you could be the problem.

How long have you had these babies? Where did you get them from? Also, visit our sister site, http://www.sugargroup.org and fill out some of the surveys, to assist our research efforts.

http://www.sugarglidervetinfo.com/ <--this site has helpful information for you and your vet, as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Please feel free to give me a call
806-274-9177
My name is Val.

I'm splitting this post to make it a thread on its own.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 8:47 pm

I would definitely give Val a call. Hope the vet visit goes well!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
mahony

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Thank you Val I have the new food in and Sugar is going to town on it. Bear is up and eating his apple will let everyone know what happens at the vets... Thank you again
Back to top Go down
mahony

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:47 pm

I just got back from Opossum Pike Vet clinic in Frederick MD. The Vet told me I had to leave Bear for x rays and that if he needed it she would give him a calcium shot. I asked her if she was going to do a fecal smear or any test to see if he had an infection. She said that she thought it was just diet. I told her that we have two gliders and our girl is fine and that I have changed his diet. I asked her to give him fluids and a oral liquid calcium too and she just looked at me. I went there with the information I have gotten but she didn't even seam to get it. Am I just over reacting? She said that I may have to leave him overnight and that she doesn't want to send him home shaking. I thought that even with med that would take more than one night? She said that some gliders are not very strong and that he might not make it but she didn't even do any test yet and she is telling me that. We got Bear from Pocket pets on Jan 16th 2011. Is this experience right with this vet I mean is the vet doing what she should?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 3:20 pm

No, you are very correct in your thinking.

You can insist that the vet contact Dr. Walsh for a consultation. His number is 918-258-0040.

No matter what, do NOT leave that glider there overnight. That is very detrimental to gliders. He is YOUR glider and you have a right to bring him home whenever you want. You also have the right to seek an alternate opinion.

You can also direct your vet to this website:
http://www.sugarglidervetinfo.com/

There is information on testing and treatment there, and on the "Health Care and Wellness Exam" page are clear instructions and reasons why a glider should NOT be kept overnight at a vet's office.

Stick to your guns. Accept the vet's assistance, but don't go home without medication and your glider. You might inform the vet that you are getting much of your information from the SUGAR GLIDER ADVANCED RESEARCH GROUP - and you can even suggest that the vet call me if you like.

I'm rooting for you! Let us know how it goes. Give me a call if you want/need.
Back to top Go down
mahony

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 4:05 pm

I just hung up with the vet and came to post an update. His bones have a little sign of the metabolic bone disease. She gave him a shot and some fluids but wants to keep him overnight to give him another shot and more fluid. She said that they didn't have the oral calcium and that she would find out if she could script it. I asked if it was ok to keep him overnight and she told me that they are keeping him warm and in a dark quite spot and that they would not keep him if they thought it would harm him or if he needed more attention that they would send him to the 24 hour hospital if they thought that was what he needed. She said that they have kept other sugar glider overnight for other reasons and that he would be fine there. I feel like I am always making the wrong decisions for him. First the wrong diet then leaving him.
I plan on staying up all night and reading everything I can on gliders so that I won't feel so stupid even if I am. I wish I would have found out that I didn't know anything before one of my babies got sick. I vow to make this the last sick visit. Need help for sick glider 553241
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm sorry to hear that he will be staying there overnight. He will stress, as this is not his normal environment. And, he is nocturnal, so he will be awake all night to know that he is both not at home, left without enrichment and without his mommy or cage mate. :(
Did you take some food up there for them to feed him? If not, did you ask what he would be fed and what type of enrichment they would provide? I hope they don't offer him a bunch of crap for a diet. That won't help him get better.

For future reference, you could have brought him home and taken him back tomorrow for another shot. That they have kept other gliders overnight is proof that they do not really understand the emotional issues that social, nocturnal animals encounter - especially those as prone to stress as sugar gliders. Please do not leave him there tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
tinkerbellesmomm

tinkerbellesmomm

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Mahony which vet did you see? Was it Stansky? She has been seeing my gliders for over 2 1/2 years and was referred to me from another glider owner of gliders of 10 years ( I know doesn't mean much to some lol) I know they have 2 other Vets there that do see gliders also but they are not as knowledgable but will do routine check ups.

If you need any local friendly support I am here if you need me!
Back to top Go down
tinkerbellesmomm

tinkerbellesmomm

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Checking in to see how your baby is doing?
Back to top Go down
mahony

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 10:53 am

Sorry I haven't been on to give everyone an update things have been crazy here. Bear has been going to the Vets twice a day for his calcium shots. This morning when I went to get him I noticed his ears are up again Need help for sick glider 890490 He was cleaning his fur and not shaking. He still is walking funny and has to gain some weight and learn to sleep without me holding him, but I believe it won't take long now. Pocket Pets contacted me and are sending me a new cage. They have been looking into the shaking because I guess there are a lot of sugar gliders not just from them that are going through this right now. I just want to thank you all I don't know if I would have made it through this without your support. I was wringing my hands as it was.
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 5:42 pm

I am so happy Bear is feeling better! Keep up the awesome work, Bear and mom!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help for sick glider   Need help for sick glider Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help for sick glider
Page 1 of 1