The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Empty
PostSubject: Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets   Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi all! I was wondering if you had any recommendations on these three products from Exotic Nutrition.

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/guco2pa.html

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/384en.html

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/flyla12ozcan.html

I have heard that the Ca:Ph ratio in chicken and turkey is so high, so I wanted to get a good supplemental protein in the Fly Larvae and Crickets. I heard that live crickets have worms? Is this true? My guys don't like eggs, and Bandit won't eat mealworms so I am relying on HWP Plus to give him his protein, which doesn't seem enough of a selection. He gobbled down baby turkey food (just turkey and water) when I gave it to him. I don't want to make it a habit because of the ratio.

Also, the acacia gumivore fare looks good to me as a treat as I have read that Suggies get 40% of their calories from Acacia Gum? Please correct me if I am wrong.

My three boys (T Rex, Bandit and Stubby) eat HWP Plus (add a lot of the veggies from Val's Green Diet), fruits, veggies, yogurt/fruit/veggie juice smoothie and 3-4 mealies each night.

I am a newbie and welcome your thoughts, as it seems that there is no "one perfect way" to feed them. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets   Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 6:00 pm

I personally would not feed anything like that from a can. I use fresh chicken, eggs and other things that I can buy locally. There are a lot better choices then canned in y opinion. As long as you feed a variety then you should not have a problem with ratio's.
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

PostSubject: Re: Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets   Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:02 pm

So if I go chicken and eggs, what else would you recommend? Do they like fish or shrimp?
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets   Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Mine love shrimp! I also use yogurt for protein sometimes. Mealworms can be fed, but I wouldn't recommend it as a sole protein source since they're so fatty. I use them as treats as opposed to a protein source.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
hrobinett

hrobinett

PostSubject: Re: Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets   Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Mine love shrimp too! I feed baked chicken wings once a week and eggs once a week. I also feed yogurt every so often as well. I will freeze the yogurt in straws and they have to work at it to get it out...so cute to watch!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hollyshobby.net
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

PostSubject: Re: Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets   Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 12:17 am

Holly - That's a great idea about freezing the yogurt in straws! Mine are still learning what a toy is and what playing is so I am trying (so hard :)) to provide as many enrichment and learning experiences as I can! I cooked some hard boiled eggs today and they loved them :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets   Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acacia Gumivore Fare, Canned Fly Larvae and Canned Crickets
Page 1 of 1