The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions regarding tooth extraction

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TracyK

Questions regarding tooth extraction Empty
PostSubject: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Ok. Here is another question. If they have to have a tooth pulled does it affect the way they eat? Sorry for all the questions but my boy may have to have a tooth pulled and I want to make sure he has the best care after he comes home. Oh if this is in the wrong place please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Sugar gliders have 40 teeth in those little mouths, so they can easily loose a few without any impact on their ability to eat.

If you are talking one of the 4 large front teeth (top or bottom), then it does have an impact on their grooming and on their ability to strip bark from tree branches or to chew on toys and such, but they don't eat with these teeth. They chew with their back teeth.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
TracyK

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 10:06 pm

How do I keep food out of the extraction site?
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 pm

My Lan lost a few teeth unbeknownst to me, including 1 of his top front teeth - which is how I noticed. The vet said everything was fine and healthy where he lost the teeth and Lan eats just fine & since I didn't know when it happened, he ate as normal after the loss. Not sure if that is the same as an extraction, but thought I'd let you know that. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
TracyK

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 12:01 am

Thank you it was very helpful.
Back to top Go down
TracyK

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 12:03 am

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never delt with this before.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 9:07 am

TracyK wrote:
Sorry for all the questions, but I have never delt with this before.

Do not be sorry for asking questions as this is how you learn. One who stops learning or thinks the know everything is sadly wrong in the care they can provide for such amazing creatures.
Back to top Go down
TracyK

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Is there any questions I should ask my vet? I know to have him take x-rays to check the root, but I'm not sure if there is anything else I should have him do to rule out his teeth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding tooth extraction   Questions regarding tooth extraction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding tooth extraction
Page 1 of 1