The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how do you help the stinkiness?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
whitknee_2

how do you help the stinkiness? Empty
PostSubject: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:13 pm

I posted this on sugarglider.com Someone told me to post here in the medical section to see if you all could help me. She said maybe something was going on in the medical side of things.

So I got a neutered male who was OOP on May 28th. He was literally in his cage for like 12 hours ( I just had obtained him) and I was almost gagging because of the stench. He smells so bad. It's not like my girls. His whole body smells too. Like a dog who has rolled in poop that's been sitting there for 5 days in the hot sun lol... I've had an unneutered male in the past and he didn't smell remotely close to my new neutered boy. I'm at a loss. Please help!!
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Are you saying that your glider smells like dog feces?

Or is the smell different?

Where did you get this little one?
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
whitknee_2

PostSubject: Re: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:54 pm

It's similar to dog feces smell, I'm not sure if it's his urine and he has it all over him. It's very pungent. I got him from a low scale breeder. I talked with her for a long time and she seemed very knowledgeable and reputable. I didn't get a vibe that she didn't take care of them at all.
Back to top Go down
whitknee_2

PostSubject: Re: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:55 pm

It's definitely not the same glider smell I've always smelled. it's putrid.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Yep. Here is a reference for ya:
https://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/t1392-the-many-smells-of-infection

You need to get this little one to the vet soon. In my experience (and I lived with one particular glider that smelled like this for many months while being treated), this smell has been associated with kidney infection, melting cornea (infection in the eye) and with periodontal disease, so be sure to have all these checked out. Get on some major antibiotics and do not try to introduce this glider to any other glider until the infection has been cleared up for quite a while.

I feel for ya. It is a terrible smell. My friends can tell you how much I would gag when treating one of my favorite gliders who smelled like this with his eye and kidney infections. It CAN be cleared up, though.   how do you help the stinkiness? 24870
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
whitknee_2

PostSubject: Re: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Oh no!!! Thanks for the info...I'll look it up right now!
Back to top Go down
JazzNZoeysMom

JazzNZoeysMom

PostSubject: Re: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Thank you for helping her Val. I don't know a lot about glider health but I've known other animals that have had tumors or the like & it has caused an offensive odor. Of course I didn't want to scare her over on GG and automatically go for a disease of some sort and send her into a panic especially if you more experienced owners had another explaination. I sure hope it's an easy fix for her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do you help the stinkiness?     how do you help the stinkiness? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how do you help the stinkiness?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: MEDICAL ISSUES & PHYSICAL HEALTH :: Other Health & Medical Issues-
Jump to: