The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Feather

Feather

Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Empty
PostSubject: Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?   Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:08 am

In January I had two joeys come OOP, at that time I thought I had a little boy and a little girl. One had a little pom the other had a slit/pouch.

When they were about 4 or 5 months of age I noticed that the little female was developing a bald spot and a chest gland.

When I looked the pouch was gone and the belly was flat, no pouch no pom. After about another month of two he now has a very flat scrotum and no testes.

I contacted Peggy as I was worried, if the testes don't descend into the scrotum a male has a higher risk of developing testicular cancer.

Peggy told me to take him in and have them do an Ultrasound done to see where the testes were.

I had him at the vet last week as I am getting ready to neuter gliders.They felt he was to little for them to use their Ultrasound machine on but they were able to palpate one testicle in his abdomen.

The vet feels that once he is anesthetized they will be able to find the other testicle.

His well be abdominal surgery, thankfully I have three of Denise's e-jackets as he will be wearing one for a while.

Updates to follow.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?   Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Cryptorchidism is not common in gliders, but it is not unheard of either. It is one of the things that the SUGAR Group's neuter survey tracks.

I have two gliders here who have it. Both had only one testicle descend. I opted NOT to go in and find the other testicle as I feel the risks with abdominal surgery complications are greater than the risk of developing cancer later. That was my choice.

Neither of my boys has had any difficulty since. One of them is about 1.5 years and the other is 4-5 years old now.

Good luck with your little boy.

Last edited by Something_To_Believe_In on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
angelic4296

angelic4296

PostSubject: Re: Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?   Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:34 am

Kimberley, SO ironic, at 10:08, I sent you a Neuter survey link for this issue based on the post you made about this on GC. I am anxious to hear updates on this issue, as this is new to me! I'm pulling for your little one!
Back to top Go down
Feather

Feather

PostSubject: Re: Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?   Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Odo will be having surgery in October. The one testicle is right near the stalk to the scrotum.

He has nothing in his scrotal sack. If they are not able to palpate the second testicle they are leaving it in.

They are hoping to push the existing testicle into the scrotal sack once he is anesthetized. I am hoping they are able to easily find the other one once his is under.
Back to top Go down
Feather

Feather

PostSubject: Re: Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?   Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Due to more rescues coming in I pushed the neuters back until this month. Odo is scheduled for Thursday along with 5 other boys.

I am getting real nervous about this now. Guess talking about it and actually making the appointment to have it done are really different.

I will make sure the vet knows I don't want to be invasive on this, if they can't find the other testicle leave it.
Back to top Go down
Feather

Feather

PostSubject: Re: Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?   Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 7:37 pm

They are not going to neuter Odo, they were unable to palpate the testes this time even though he was under anesthetic.

Dr. Keller felt it was too invasive and we are just going to take our chances.

Did get four neuters done though. They didn't neuter Russel as he has an infected cheek right now. He came home with eye drops and antibiotics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?   Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odo's Story..... Cryptorchidism in a glider?
Page 1 of 1