The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Want to breed; need some help

Go down 
+2
Something_To_Believe_In
YemeniLuigi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

Want to breed; need some help Empty
PostSubject: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 5:31 pm

I plan on breeding Sugar Gliders later on when I'm able to, and I don't want to be a mill-breeder. I want to make sure they're in good health and I know this site is a good one to ask about breeding. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 pm

First things first, it is important that you have lineage (a pedigree) on each glider you want to breed. You should not breed your glider from Pocket Pets.

Second, you need to own gliders for a while and be a bit older before you enter into such a huge commitment. Breeding is not easy with sugar gliders. You will need to be sure you have a vet fund and a vet willing to work with you should any issues arrise - which is pretty normal with breeding programs.

Then, you need to decide what you want to breed for (which colors) and create a breeding program. What will be your main priority? Temperment? cleaning up the lines? Color?
Once you have defined what your breeding program will be about, you need to develop a lineage tracking program for your gliders, an application and a contract for adoption. As a breeder, it will be your responsibility to provide education and support to anyone that you sell to. So, invest some time in learning more about gliders and develop relationships with many in this community so that YOu have support when you need it and a place to list your joeys for sale to wonderful homes.

Lastly, you need to be sure that you can afford to breed. If done right, a breeding program will not make any money. Most loose money. So, if you are wanting to bring in income with your breeding program, then be aware right off the bat that you won't make money in responsible breeding and placing in the best of homes.

Breeding is a very large responsibility. One that the members of this community take very seriously.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Well, I do know it takes a lot to breed, and that no money should come in if I do, but I'm still going to consider it. I want to do it so I can give them to people who I know will take good care of them and will be dedicated.
But, as you said, and the problem stands, is that my female glider is from Pocket-Pets, which I understand now has been mill-bred. So I'll have to get 2 new gliders from breeders I can trust, and I'm still deciding all of the variable (color, temperment, etc.), and since I've been wanting to persue veteranarian work as my career, I want other peopl to know more about them, and hopefully have them lagalized in all states.
I'm not 100% sure I want to do this, but I'm looking into it, so I don't become a mill-breeder and start giving away bad gliders. I also want to become a rabbit breeder but that's a different story, as those are easier to get a hold of and breed properly.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 12:22 am

One thing to remember is if a joey gets rejected you will need to be able to feed him/her at least every 2 hours maybe more if it is just a few day's out of pouch. The feeding go around the clock 24/7 until they are 6-8 weeks old.
Just so you know what this is like before you have joey's try setting your alarm every 2 hours for several day's in a row.

Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:55 am

Well yeah I knew about the rejected Joeys and such, and I do know what it's like to wake up every other hours, so it's worth it. I'm going to look into it more, I just wanted some advice.
Back to top Go down
pockietprincess

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Before you decide to breed- look at how many gliders that came from good breeders are showing up in rescue or are being returned. Also, ask yourself if you would be able to give up the joey(s) that you have seen grow since they were just tiny bumps in mommy's pouch. That's the only thing that stops me from establishing a dog breeding program for German Shepherds. I wouldn't be able to give up the pups.

Also, how old are you? Would you be able to take a rejected joey to school/work with you? Would you be able to provide round the clock intensive care? Would you be able to handle it if that baby died in your hands or you had to have it euthanized for some genetic disorder or illness that cannot be cured?
Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Well, in hopes of becoming a vet, I'm sure I would be able to bring my gliders with me to work, considering that I don't plan on starting to breed until I'm steady with what I'm doing in life. And as for dying in my hands, or euthanization, that's just another risk I'm going to have to take. If it was meant to happen, I shouldn't make it that much of a big deal. If I knew I couldn't change it, no matter what I did, then there's no point in crying over it. And yeah, I'd be able to give them away. Because I know people who will take good care of them and I know that they'll be in good hands once I give it away, so it's alright.
Back to top Go down
pockietprincess

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:39 pm

As a vet, you cannot take them to work due to the possibility of spreading disease or parasites. It's a risk I would never take unless it was an emergency that could not be taken care of at home.

I work in a pet store and I have specific work clothes and shoes that never come inside. My shoes take a nightly bleach mix bath. I've seen what taking parvo home does! Thankfully not to me, but with a coworkers dog.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Take in all of the advice given you, write it down, if you need to. Think it through. All of us have had sugar gliders for years, most of us have bred them at one time or another. Val has tons of experience with rejected joeys.

Breeding is a big step, and it's good that you are looking into the how and how not to's early. Keep asking questions, read everything you can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Val is probably the reason why my Sugar Glider is in much better health now. She's healthy, energetic, and much more playful now after I called her ( and took my Glider to the vet). Luckily she had no parasites, and no seizures since Saturday, so I don't know what the problem was, but it's not the problem anymore. And I'm trying to look up A LOT more info. on how to breed them to make sure I can and want to go through with it.
Thanks again, Val. Sudae thanks you too, although she didn't really say it Want to breed; need some help 971666
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Want to breed; need some help 24870
Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:16 pm

I just have a couple of more questions:
-How long do the mothers hold the baby? (Before and after birth)
-If there is a rejected Joey (and I know there usually is one), what do I use as the milky substitute? Pidialyte?
- I have to take care of the rejected Joey, how long do I have to do it?
-How often do they reproduce, and should I get them neutered after a while so I don't have TOO many gliders? One can only have so many gliders. . .
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:46 am

YemeniLuigi wrote:
I just have a couple of more questions:
-How long do the mothers hold the baby? (Before and after birth)
Babies are born at approx. 16 days and then held in the pouch for 8-9 weeks before they detach.

Quote :
-If there is a rejected Joey (and I know there usually is one), what do I use as the milky substitute? Pidialyte?
No. You have to use a substitute MILK replacer which will provide the baby with all the nutrients he/she needs.

Quote :
- I have to take care of the rejected Joey, how long do I have to do it?
Depends on when the joey is rejected. You have to provide 24 hour -round-the-clock care for the joey from the time it is rejected until the time it is fully weaned, which happens sometimes between 7-10 weeks OOP. So, if a joey is rejected before its eyes are open, you have to provide care for it 24 hours per day (every hour -2 hours the first few weeks, increasing to every 3 hours or so toward the end) for 6-8 weeks.
Quote :

-How often do they reproduce, and should I get them neutered after a while so I don't have TOO many gliders? One can only have so many gliders. . .
The reproduce 3-4 times per year. Technically, a female can get pregnant again about a month after she gives birth, even if she has joeys in pouch. Yes, you should neuter BEFORE the number of gliders in your home is more than you can care for. Remember that you are responsible for every glider born in your home throughout their lives, even if they go to live with someone else. There is no guarantee you will find good homes, so you have to be prepared for them to live with you forever.

Here is a website with much information about breeding and rejected joeys:
http://suzsugargliders.com/
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:19 am

I know that I cannot commit to this kind of care and I'm 38. I would never breed because of this.
Don't forget that if you can't find homes, you have to pay to have all of your male joeys nuetered so they don't breed with their mom and sisters. It can get costly.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:47 am

I have done it several times, twice with baby Chinchillas, once with Joey's who came here as rehomes and with 5 adult glider's who needed to be hand fed because of illness.

Remember it does not have to be joeys either, if you get a sick glider it is around the clock cares sometime also.

Let me tell you after several days of every 2-3 hour wake up times you are pretty much useless in every other department of life.

Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Seems like a lot of work, but I want to make it a big part of my life, though. So although there are so many things that may make me reconsider this operation, there's still the fact of having those little baby Gliders and taking care of them; just like my lil' Sundae. I was thinking about someday having a room just for my animals (sugar glider proofed, of course), and just leave the cage doors open every day for a little while and let them play. I plan on decorating it with things for them to climb, jump off of, or onto. A place for them to just play (at most maybe 4 or 5 gliders), then, if I can find a place for some, I'll give them away if I know the person will take good care of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want to breed; need some help   Want to breed; need some help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Want to breed; need some help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: JOEY & NURSING MOTHER CARE & ISSUES :: Joey rejection, injury or illness/ Nursing mother Care-
Jump to: