The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Barley Grass & Wheat Grass

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Barley Grass & Wheat Grass Empty
PostSubject: Barley Grass & Wheat Grass   Barley Grass & Wheat Grass Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 am

Barley grass and wheat grass are other beneficial green foods that I have included in my glider diet for the last 2 years. Here is a bit of information.

Taken from here:
]http://www.oprah.com/health/Barley-Grass-Wheatgrass-and-Green-Foods-Superfood-No-6

Quote :
Wheat and Barley Grasses
Young cereal grasses—especially wheat and barley grass—are distinguished by their brilliant emerald green hues. Before World War II, drug stores throughout the country, but especially in the grain-belt states of the Midwest, sold tablets of dried wheat or barley grass as a kind of primitive vitamin supplement. Today, young wheat and barley grasses are dried and powdered to make dietary supplements, or picked fresh to process in juicing machines.

At the early grass stage of their growth, wheat and barley are closer to vegetables than grains in composition. This is important to note because while I strongly discourage eating wheat and wheat products, I believe wheatgrass is an excellent addition to your diet.

The nutrient profiles of green cereal plants change quickly as they grow. As the plant grows, the chlorophyll, protein and vitamin content of cereal grasses declines sharply and the level of cellulose (indigestible fiber) increases. Over a period of several months, the green leafy cereal grasses become amber waves of grain bearing the kernels we harvest to make into flour—an unhealthy, pro-inflammatory food.

There is very little nutritional difference between wheat grass and barley grass, although it is important to note that barley grass acts as a free radical scavenger that also reduces inflammation and pain, and wheat grass contains P4D1, a "gluco-protein" that acts like an antioxidant, reducing inflammation. It is also thought to be able to help the body attack cancer cells.

You can get cereal grasses in powder or tablet form. Dried cereal grasses are certainly easier to handle than fresh, which must be juiced. However, fresh grass juice contains healthful enzymes not found in dried grass powder and is likely to be higher in just about every phytonutrient found in cereal grass. Many juice bars and health-oriented markets offer these juices on their menus.

Info on the health benefits of barley grass from : http://www.kcweb.com/herb/barley.htm

Quote :
A large number of vitamins and minerals are found in the green leaves. The leaves have the capability to absorb nutrients from the soil. When the leaves are 12-14 inches high, they contain many vitamins, minerals, and proteins necessary in the human diet. These are easily absorbed throughout the digestive tract, giving our bodies access to important nutrients that include potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, beta carotene, B1, B2, B6, C, folic acid, and pantothenic acid. The juice contains ten times the calcium in milk, four times the iron in spinach, six times the vitamin C in an orange, and eighty milligrams of vitamin B12 per hundred grams.

Barley grass also contains a fiber that is also found in oat bran, and has been reported to reduce cholesterol levels. The root contains the alkaloid hordenine which stimulates blood circulation and has been used as a bronchodilator for bronchitis. The bran, like wheat bran may be effective in protecting against the risk of cancer.

Info on wheat grass from http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/greens.htm
Quote :
Wheatgrass juice has been proven over many years to benefit people in numerous ways: cleansing the lymph system, building the blood, restoring balance in the body, removing toxic metals from the cells, nourishing the liver and kidneys and restoring vitality. One ounce of wheatgrass juice has the vitamin and mineral equivalent of 2.2 pounds of fresh vegetables. It contains most of the vitamins and minerals needed for human maintenance, including the elusive B12. Many of the benefits of wheatgrass juice stem from the fact that it is a living food, which is a complete protein with about 30 enzymes and is approximately 70% crude chlorophyll. To be effective wheatgrass juice has to be drunk immediately after juicing.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Barley Grass & Wheat Grass   Barley Grass & Wheat Grass Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2015 9:07 am

Val have you ever tried this one? I see you use the Barley and Wheat Grass and then also use Alfalfa. Would this be a good alternative to using each separately?

Have you ever used these personally? I am about to try the trio myself as it sounds amazing.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Barley Grass & Wheat Grass   Barley Grass & Wheat Grass Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 6:40 pm

I give mine the sprouts sometimes, in various forms. Either as just the sprouts, which they can take or leave, or I blend directly into their food. They like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Barley Grass & Wheat Grass   Barley Grass & Wheat Grass Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Well stupid me forgot to post the link...http://amazinggrass.com/product/66/Amazing-Trio-30-servings.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barley Grass & Wheat Grass   Barley Grass & Wheat Grass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barley Grass & Wheat Grass
Page 1 of 1