The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sounds your Glider makes

Go down 
+6
GliderGuyVa
GliderDad
BelladonnasMom
GliderNursery
Usha77
sugeebaby
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

Sounds your Glider makes Empty
PostSubject: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:07 am

Sounds of a Sugar Glider

Sugar gliders make a variety of sounds to communicate with each other and with their owners. By listening and learning the various sounds, we can determine if they are happy, scared, or even hurt.

Barking – used to let others in the colony know of their presence, warn others of potential danger, respond to a distant sound, or to get attention. The bark sounds like a small puppy's bark.

Chattering – a form of communication between gliders; sounds like they are clicking their teeth together.

Crabbing – often used in nature as a defensive sound used to scare off a predator. It typically means the glider is scared or has been startled. It sounds similar to a pencil sharpener.

Hissing – announce their presence or call to another member of the colony. Hissing can also be an indication of having difficulty in urinating or deficating, at which point veterinarian care is required.

Joey cry: used to call out to the parents; sounds like “nitch, nitch”.

Purring: used to indicate the glider is content; sounds much like a small kitten purr.

Singing: the first vocal communication between the mother and joeys in pouch to indicate that it is time for them to detach and come fully out of pouch. The sound includes a variety of tonal vibrations and includes a combination of chatters and chirps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 5:57 pm

I just wanted to add that adult gliders can also make the "joey cry" sound. Lan was about 3 or 4 when he was separated from his family for a time due to Self Mutilating and when I showed him his kids at one point, he cried like that. It's absolutely heartbreaking.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
GliderNursery

GliderNursery

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Quote :
Joey cry: used to call out to the parents; sounds like “nitch, nitch”. Adults have also been known make this sound to indicate they miss and call out to members of their colony.

Would that be an accurate addition?
Back to top Go down
BelladonnasMom

BelladonnasMom

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 am

Can I add to this?

Popping/bubble blowing sound - In a HEALTHY glider, this is a sound of contentment. I have heard all of my 5 gliders make this noise in a bonding pouch or in a cage pouch while I was holding it in my lap.

HOWEVER: If you glider has any drainage from the eyes or nose, EXCESSIVE sneezing (Not the grooming sneeze into the hand to wet it and groom), then your glider may have an upper respiratory infectoin and seould be taken to a glider knowledgeable vet IMMEDIATELY for diagnosis and treatment!!!
Back to top Go down
GliderDad

GliderDad

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi,
I wanted to add that one of my gliders (one year old female) still makes the "joey cry" sound every few weeks. It only lasts a night each time (cries about every 10-15 min.) but it used to worry me. However, she has no other signs or symptoms of illness, and it's never at a certain time (i.e. while trying to go to the bathroom). She has two other females in her colony and they get along fine. Has anyone else had an older glider do that sound every few weeks or so?
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 pm

My first glider use to make that noise. She was a single glider and I figured she was lonely and crying for someone to play with.
Back to top Go down
GliderDad

GliderDad

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Yes I would expect it with one glider, but I'm surprised to hear it when she has two other gliders around she can play with. I wonder if she could still be missing her mother every now and then? Did your first glider stop making the noise after she got a friend?
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 pm

She died before we ever got her a friend. Even though your glider is with other gliders she still may be lonely. I know that sounds weird but you can live in a house with many people and still be lonely. Maybe her cage mates just don't give her the attention she wants.
One of my boys does it when he can't find his brother during play time. So I think it is a lonely sound.
Back to top Go down
GliderDad

GliderDad

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 6:35 pm

sad. I already give her more attention those days. Not sure if I can do anything else.
Back to top Go down
GliderGuyVa

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Happy/content sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGgzDQ49xWI
(my Prissy)
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 1:33 am

I've got a single glider now that came here just a few weeks ago. It's odd that I see this post today because she is just over a year old and just tonight, I heard her "cry" for the first time. She's active, eating and all seems well. Any idea if it's a sound they will also make when they are in heat?? She's in the monkey room with everyone else so she's got gliders around her but she's making the sound continuously this evening. She runs to the front of the cage, makes the sound, then goes to run in her wheel, bounce around the cage, then back to the front to "cry" some more. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 9:23 am

Yes, they can and do make the sound when they are in heat. It is common for girls. I also have had gliders call out like this when they are out playing and cage mates are in the pouch (or vice versa). That cry is how Melee used to tell Jackie Chan it was time for him to come to bed.

I have two boys here who cry for me frequently. One of them does it every night and has since he was a joey. I just do it right back and he goes on with his business. The other does it if I walk into the room at night and don't stop to pet/love on him. Both have cage mates and neither are lonely. Sometimes I think it is just how they express that there is something they are wanting.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 9:33 am

Very interesting. Honestly, this is the first time I've ever heard this sound come from a glider here in my home other than a joey so it just kind of shocked me. She's been crabby the last couple of days and I suspected she was in heat. But this crying was unexpected, the sound just made me sad.
Back to top Go down
GliderDad

GliderDad

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 2:00 pm

I know what you mean DCMuffin. it made me sad too but i am glad to hear that the reason might be that she is in heat. It was happening every few weeks and I bet it happens again in 27 days. I'll pay attention to the date next time. Thanks for the replies, it was worrying me.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 2:04 pm

I'd never thought about it before, but had no reason to as none of my other females make this sound. I, too, am glad to know what it is and will definitely pay attention to if/when it happens again.
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:56 pm

I think you're right, Val, that is is a sound they make when they are wanting something. I swear I could see the longing in Lan's eyes when he saw his kids and then made that sound.
Back to top Go down
Feather

Feather

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:12 pm

I had a big old male glider that would cry whenever I trimmed his nails.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Silly monkeys, aren't they? Well, Elfie didn't cry last night, at all. Until last night, she was in a relatively small cage while I worked with her. Yesterday, she moved into her larger one and was so happy, bouncing everywhere that I think she forgot she's in heat!
Back to top Go down
GliderDad

GliderDad

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 pm

:) nice to hear good stories. Kiwi also only cried for one night as usual. I'm glad Elfie's happy with her larger place! It's true that the more room they have the happier they are. When my three girls first got their own room (gliderproofed and full of toys and branches, of course) they started waking up about two hours earlier every night just to play more.
Back to top Go down
rondam74

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 8:34 am

I recently was adopted by two female sugar gliders. Some nights they don't bark at all. But the last two nights, one of them has been barking for hours! I get up & go talk to them, but she just continues to bark. I don't know if she's playing, or if she's upset. This glider is particularly more crabby than the other. Anytime she is in her pouch, she crabbs at me (and that's the only time she crabs). Anybody have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Mine definitely go through phases, I'm not sure if there's any pattern to them. :)
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Females will sometimes bark more when they are in heat. And some gliders simply bark. As you get to know your gliders, you'll know what their barks mean. It could be a bug in the room, it could be that they want to get out and play, or they may be asking their cagemate to come and play with them. They'll do it when they're happy and when they're nervous or scared. Only you can know what they really want, as you learn their behaviors.

As for crabbing in the pouch - she could be a little pouch protective or she may be nervous. And keep in mind that gliders crab. This is a sound they make and some are more verbal than others. If you hear that your gliders shouldn't crab, that's wrong. It's a way that they communicate. I have a little girl who crabs in her pouch. Once I open it and let her know that I'm there, she stops. Remember that the pouch limits their field of vision so an unexpected noise or movement can trigger a crab fest. It's sort of the fear of the unknown. Another thing - in a pouch, your glider is at the bottom, looking UP at you. She may be crabbing because she isn't sure if she can trust the big face looking down at her, nor is she sure about the hand that is coming down on top of her. Try talking to her before you go to the pouch, continue talking, then gently cup the bottom of the pouch in your hand, rub her a little bit, and then slowly push her to the top of the pouch so you're looking AT her and not down on her. It may make her feel more secure. Always follow those movements with a treat so she knows that good things will come from you when you're saying hello. :)
Back to top Go down
rondam74

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks, DCMuffin! I'm hoping that the barking will calm down as they get more and more used to their new environemnt. Thanks for all the info!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds your Glider makes   Sounds your Glider makes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sounds your Glider makes
Page 1 of 1