The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Breeding Trios - Things to consider

Go down 
+3
jen102375
kyro298
Kristy55303
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kristy55303

Breeding Trios - Things to consider Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:57 pm

This will be long winded. I apologize. Here is what happened last night. I am so sad. I hope this story helps owners to realize the risks with breeding trios. I will never have anything but pairs here.

Under no circumstances will I ever do a trio again due to what just happened. It was awful!

Ok, so Gabby and Angellica were sisters, born together. But, they didn't produce joeys and I was beginning to question why in my head, but thought well maybe it was because they were just over a year old and just hadn't produced. This was a while ago. They grew up together and seemed to be very bonded. Gabby finally had a joey IP (just about OOP), when one day I could no longer find said joey. They had cannibalized the joey, so they had to be separated. I feel now, looking back, that they probably did get pregnant and did have joeys IP and probably had some joey stealing going on.

I had one last trio that did work out ( i assumed?). This trio included Desiree and Destiny. The first time they had joeys, even though both only had one joey each. This time Destiny rejected one joey (or so I thought), and Desiree had two IP. Tonight I had to run to the emergency room/vet! Both girls had been stealing joeys back and forth. Destiny had a severe inverted pouch and had to go under anesthesia to put it back and save it, she now likely has 3 nipples instead of 4, is on Convenia and is now alone, with no mate, while she heals. She won't be allowed to go back with Desiree. Her joey that was left is gone...cannibalized. Desiree had an inverted pouch too, and only has one joey left. So we are missing 3 joeys! These two girls, had I not noticed their pouches, could have suffered tragic infections. Desiree is now with Chance together in one cage and Destiny is alone for now while she heals and until i can find her a suitable partner.

I will no longer accept that trios are even worth the risk. Why risk it? Is it worth the risk, or is it better to be on the side of "better safe than sorry"? Those poor joeys did not deserve this nor did Desiree and Destiny deserve to have had their pouches literally inverted from joey stealing. I personally will never advocate a trio unless pet-only and non-breeding, I will never again attempt one, nor will i rehome any of my joeys to breeding trios. Its been such a rough night and i hope Destiny and Desiree are ok and they heal ok. I feel ubber guilty I even did a trio and this is whatI was told would be ok when I first got into breeding.

My point is, even if it seems to work out, this kind of thing can happen and its not worth it, IMO. I urge anyone considering a trio to weigh the benefits against the risks. To me, Ii would have rather been safe than sorry and had no idea this could happen. Dr. hedges had never seen this, and we had to call multiple vets for advice on how to treat the condition. It is treatable and fixable, however it can also lead to infection and as we all know gliders crash quickly. I am so lucky that I am on the ball with their health and I would do anything, and I mean anything, in an emergency or not, to make sure they are safe.

edit: also wanted to say that a lot of people do have trios that work out. Never once was I warned when I first started breeding that this could happen. In fac, I felt swayed to go ahead and do a trio based on some experiences others shared. So, at the time, I never even thought this could happen to me. It did though, and it can and I feel educating about it is better than hiding what happened. It happened and it could happen to anyone. It happened to me it can happen to any one of us. I am devastated about it. I could care less about the emergency vet visit bill. I care about my gliders the fact that they are in pain emotionally and physically and that is what matters most. I also care enough to share what happened to me with everyone here so anyone who may want to attempt a trio can better make a decision and a better informed one on their own. I don't recommend it. People will do what they want, and I hope to GOD no one has to go through what I went through with my two trios. Everyone is now pair only or pet-only. I love my gliders so much this has literally torn me down tonight

Last edited by Something_To_Believe_In on Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar, spelling, punctuation, clarification....)
Back to top Go down
Kristy55303

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:00 pm

we have her on torb and covenia shot. she is also on a non-pain rteliever neosporin to keep it moist. its back out tonight. 😢 i was told not to try and push it back in anymore to let it try and deswell. pics cvoming up and it may look bad but yesterday was worse its just a tad better but im so worried!
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Please forgive me...I got a little confused. Are you talking about 2 sets of trios?
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Kristy55303

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:06 pm

yes sorry. my first trio was a sister trio and they did not work out so i separated them. they are the ones that canabalized the joey that was nearly oop.

this was a while back.

this trio now did well or so i thought the first time they bred. both babies from each mom were healthy and went to great homes. then they both had 2 ip. these are not sisters. they are from the same breeder that we are now talking about. since they were seemingly working out and always slept together, no fighting etc i assumed they were a "working" trio. Both were found last night with inverted pouches. both had been stealing joeys it looks like, and 3 of the 4 joeys are now gone. One was found under the grate a week prior and i thought it was a rejected joey. I ran to vet for more lactated ringers to sub-q but it was too late. last night however as i was looking for glider #1's only joey left it was missing along with a severely inverted swollen pouch and glider girl#2 had one joey ip no longer 2 which is about to come oop and she did also have an inverted pouch it looked like but not as bad. Glider #1 really ruled the roost so i waqs surprised she had it so bad :(
Back to top Go down
Kristy55303

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:13 pm

p.s. guys im so sorry for my bad grammar. I am in such a tizzy about this and so worried for my girls mainly the one in this pic.......

Breeding Trios - Things to consider Th_003-5
Breeding Trios - Things to consider Th_002-5
Breeding Trios - Things to consider Th_001-4

😢
Back to top Go down
jen102375

jen102375

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:15 pm

OMG Kristy, I am sooo sorry. What a horrible thing to go through. I know you love your darlings and they know it as well. Hang in there, I will be saying special prayers for your babies and you as well. Thank you for posting about it , Letting people know what dangers can and do happen. I know this information will give people a bit to think on. I had know idea somthing like this could happen. I am so sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegliderboutique.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Kristy, thank you for sharing your story with us, and for inspiring a few new posts that will go up in this section one day.

It is important for our members to remember that this is Kristy's personal experience. Many have experiences very different from Kristy's - myself included. My Tastee family is from a breeding trio that was very successful, very loving and had not one single issue amongst themselves.

Kristy's post is to remind us that there are always risks, and we need to be aware of them BEFORE we enter into a new adventure. You will have far fewer regrets if you make INFORMED decisions. That is what we are here for - to provide information. Stories like this SHOULD be shared with anyone considering breeding, and esp. with those considering breeding trios.

I'm very sorry, Kristy, for the pain you feel today. Thank you for using that experience to potentially help another in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Kristy55303

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:29 pm

I hope that I can just help give insight of the dangers. Thank you Val. I appreciate you letting me post this. I dis not feel like i should have kept it to myself because I felt this may potentially help someone's breeding plans and decisions in the future. I agree 100% Val that this is what happened to me, it could or could not happen to any one of us that breed. However, like you stated Val, seeing what can happen can help breeders make decisions and weigh the benefits against the risks.

I will keep you all updated on her progress. I hope the infected portion heals and her pouch begins to unswell and go back in on its own. I will keep updating on what I do to help her and will do anything to to give her the best chance possible. I hope that no one ever has to go through this like i have. I love my gliders so much. Many hugs to all for the prayers and well wishes. Thank you Val for letting me post this and I hope it helps in some way.

edit: Also wanted to add for those with more medical experience with gliders, if you see anything posted here that i am doing or not doing that could be brought up to my vet we'd very much appreciate it. So far the med list is Covenia, normal neosporin without pain-relief ingredients as she will likely lick, and a small dose of torb for the inflammation. Vet and I both felt that covenia was a good choice so we didn't stress her out anymore than she already is.
Back to top Go down
Chris R

Chris R

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:50 am

Kristy, Thank- you for your post! I also want to say that not all breeding trio's end in tragedy as yours did. I also have a VERY successful breeding trio that has not only now raised 1 set of triplets successfully but we are "on" the 2nd set from Cuppycake now too (back to back I might add)...Here is the first story

https://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/joey-nursing-mother-care-injury-or-illness-f18/triplets-kinda-lol-t326.htm

I would just like to add...Kristy, I am very sorry for the heartache you are going through over the loss of your joey's!! Breeding Trios - Things to consider 903968
Back to top Go down
Cora

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:36 am

((((HUGS)))) Kristy! What an awful experience! Thank You for sharing it! I am actually thinking of a trio. Have 2 sisters picked out and coming home soon!! Your story certainly gives me something to consider. I am not new to breeding and I watch the families very closely. But your story scares me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
obsolescenttears

obsolescenttears

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for posting here Kristy, its good for people to see the severity of what can happen. Please keep us updated on her condition.

Cora, I have a trio I am just starting as well, I will be keeping a diligent eye on things and have some breeders who have successful trios on speed dial just in case :) You dont know tell you try. Good luck to you!
Back to top Go down
Kristy55303

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 7:03 pm

thanks guys! hugs. Im very worried for destiny but here are some updates...

does it look any better?

Breeding Trios - Things to consider 009-9
Breeding Trios - Things to consider 008-8

and her lovely face i have been giving kisses to

Breeding Trios - Things to consider 016-4

still doing the neosporin, still doing the torb and watching he like a hawk i feel like. :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Trios - Things to consider   Breeding Trios - Things to consider Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Trios - Things to consider
Page 1 of 1