The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

overgrooming or something else?

Go down 
+2
USMom
DavidW
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DavidW

DavidW

overgrooming or something else? Empty
PostSubject: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 5:07 pm

I just got this guy last Sunday his name is Zazu. He's got patches on his rear both sides of thinning or regrowing fur, I don't know which. He weighs in at 84 grams, he's between two or three years old, and has not been neutered yet. Since I've had him he has not been eating really well, about half of a tablespoon of BML and about half of the fruits and veggies (but it's only been 4 nights so far). He was on reep's and the girl i got him from wasn't keeping track of how much he ate. Here's what I know of his background. He and his cage mate produced one set of joeys, she died shortly after they were OPP. I was told that he was taking care of the joeys, they where being hand feed. So the question is does it look like regrowing fur or thinning fur?

overgrooming or something else? Zazuondeskovergrooming or something else? Zazuonarmovergrooming or something else? Zazudesk3overgrooming or something else? Zazudesk2

I wish i could get some better pictures but I'm afraid this is as good as i can get.

Before i forget Zazu is going to see Dr. Antinoff tomorrow, hopefully she will have some idea.

Last edited by DavidW on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 9:29 pm

David, good to see you here! I think it looks like thinning hair, rather than overgrooming. It's hard to tell if its on an up or down swing. Only time will tell that. Val will have a better opinion on this, she has one with a similar looking issue.

The amount of food he is eating is not alarming right now. But, it should start to increase over the next few days or weeks. Let us know waht the vet says.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm

for sure on the vet.

like i said i wish i could get a better pic, but I'm 100% camera illiterate, It's shame too because i have a decent camera.

I've have had some problem with overgrooming in the past and this really doesn't look like what i saw.

his weight concerns me a bit 84 grams, i would like to see atleast 15 to 20 grams more.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 am

This is the same glider that I linked to in Nugget's thread. After talking with the previous owner, I think this might be more of a hygiene issue than an overall health issue. If that is the case, then a few months in David's care should resolve the issue.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Cora

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 am

I still dont think the vet visit is a bad idea..........................Keep us posted David, glad to see you here!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Something_To_Believe_In wrote:
This is the same glider that I linked to in Nugget's thread. After talking with the previous owner, I think this might be more of a hygiene issue than an overall health issue. If that is the case, then a few months in David's care should resolve the issue.

Val yes this is the same glider. Can you explain what you mean by hygiene issue, I've never dealt with this before - or send a good link?

Cora I'm at the vets right now.
Back to top Go down
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Ok I'm back from the vet and she found coccidia on a fecal exam. we're using trimeth sulfa twice a day .04 cc. Recheck to be done in two weeks. As far as the fur issue she believes that is was overgrooming due to stress. I did mention Vals theory and she said that was possible too. there is no irritated skin, so hopefully this will resolve with time.
Back to top Go down
jacknsally

jacknsally

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm

With his background and having the parasite, I'd guess it had more to do with diet/stress/parasite issues. Did you let sugarmommy know about the coccidia- it's possible his joeys have it as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mobmilli/
Cora

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

That "P" word david, thought we were going to avoid that this time........Hugs Man!
Back to top Go down
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:26 pm

All I got to say Cora is at least it's not giardia :yay:

I've been in touch with sugarmommy she is going to talk to her vet.
Back to top Go down
Cora

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 8:39 pm

cool................
Back to top Go down
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Just a quick update, Zazu is eating well and showing no signs of sickness. He has a vet appointment for Monday, for a fecal exam to determine if we have beat the coccidia. I'll let y'all know what happens.
Back to top Go down
Cora

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Awesome, is his fur growing back yet??? Thanks for the update!
Back to top Go down
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Cora, no the fur is not looking any different at all.
Back to top Go down
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 11:48 am

Ok I took Zazu to Dr. Jordan this time, he did a direct and a float and didn't find any Coccidia :yay: . He said that the fur is probably barbering due to stress. He goes back on the 28th to get neutered.

It's been 22 days since the the medicine course was completed, and I've now got a negative fecal exam. Val after he gets neutered (and recovers) would you feel comfortable with him being introduced to Moxy and Spiderman?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:29 pm

If you wanna intro them after his neuter, go for it! I always love to see gliders in groups of 3 or more. :)
Back to top Go down
DavidW

DavidW

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Well I'm very happy to say that Zazu is doing much better! I can hardly tell he's had any problems with his fur. His tail fur appears to be a little bit thin. I think it's safe to say he's recovered! sorry for the quality of the pictures they are from my IPhone, I haven't unpacked my camera yet.
overgrooming or something else? Zazubetter1
overgrooming or something else? Zazubetter3
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Looking great!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 7:21 am

Zazu DOES look great! Great job with him, David!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: overgrooming or something else?   overgrooming or something else? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

overgrooming or something else?
Page 1 of 1