The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Java - A long time coming

Go down 
+6
sugeebaby
valkyriemome
BindiAndScrubbie
BCChins
mizvalorie
Something_To_Believe_In
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Java - A long time coming Empty
PostSubject: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am

I just had to share this because I am so excited. Java - A long time coming 890490

Java is a sweet, loving glider that came to me with a wound that covered a large part of his back, one arm and a large portion of his chest. Java has such a sweet, calm disposition that he never messed with his wound, but he required much assistance with healing. This was the wound prior to him coming to me:

Java - A long time coming DSC_90161

By the time he got to me, the wound had about doubled in size in terms of surface area affected.

Initially, Java's healing was very fast and great. Then, we hit a bump in the road with recurrent closed wound edges. This means that the skin would fold in on itself rather than healing toward the other wound edge, causing the wound to stay open. We would have to have a surgery to release the edges of the wound and allow it to begin healing again. This happened over and over. Once the wound was about the size of a nickel, I decided that Java had experienced enough anesthesia in a year's time and opted to not have any more surgery for a while. Instead we tried collosate, emu oil, facilitator, debridement and many other things that we do for wounds. Nothing worked. Java experienced no healing of that wound for over 7 months. However, it also got no worse (his cage mate never messed with it) and never got infected.

So, finally, with the introduction of QuickDERM and a new laser treatment and a long break since his last surgery, I was comfortable with moving forward. So, last Saturday, Java had another surgery to release his wound edges and this time we went with a primary intention healing (stitches) coupled with QuickDERM use.

Java and his cage mate have a very special relationship, both with special needs that make it so that I cannot safely separate them - ever. But, they are both so sweet and loving that Java has been able to live with Mocha since his surgery with no problem. That is remarkable!

So, here is my Java now
Java - A long time coming Javawound2

You have to understand - my excitement with this comes from the fact that Java has lived with me for 21 months, and until Saturday I had never seen him without an open wound. He is so gorgeous - even more so now. I cry every time I look at him. I can't wait until he is completely healed!
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
mizvalorie

mizvalorie

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 11:46 am

I'm so happy for you and Java!!
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 11:48 am

Java - A long time coming 367
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Wow! Just WOW! Breaks my heart and makes me happy at the same time.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
valkyriemome

valkyriemome

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 pm

He's coming along great! He sounds like such a sweet heart - reminds me of my Jack. He was also badly injured, and a complete darling. He is still a darling, actually!
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 3:50 pm

That is great news. I am so happy for you and Java. He is looking great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
WintersSong

WintersSong

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Yay Java!!

Out of curiosity, is the case of Java's wound known?
Back to top Go down
Cora

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 5:13 pm

Awesome!!! I love wound care with people and animals!! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it! So many good options available nowadays!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Java's (fka Sammy) wound was absolutely heartbreaking in person. I don't recall the exact cause of the original wound, but our vets here in Minnesota do not have as much experience dealing with glider injuries or extreme cases such as this one. The vet that the owner went to (not my vet, but is generally a really good glider vet and many other Minnesotans use him for their gliders) ended up using stitches and staples to try to keep the wound closed and his owner refused to separate him from his cage mate who was continuing to make the wound worse. Thankfully, she released the pair to Val & I know she loved them. She was crying so hard when she brought them to me and I felt so bad, but I knew that they were going someplace where he would get great vet care and lots of love and care from Val. Java looks amazing, Val!! I am so happy for you all. Java - A long time coming 798356

Val, do you keep in contact with the previous owner? Does she know how well he is doing now and how long it took to get him this far?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:57 pm

No, I do not keep in touch with her. I bet she would like to hear how he is doing.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 8:47 pm

This thread was started over a year ago, and some of you know that Java has had a rough year. Shortly after making this post, his wound opened back up and there had been no healing. Java - A long time coming 763166

I went through a good bout of depression about this. I felt just terrible that Java had lived literally YEARS with an open wound. We had tried everything and nothing was working. It was so disappointing.

But, I applied the Quickderm as instructed by Dr. Walsh. At first, it seemed nothing was happening. So, I stopped the treatment and went back to doing nothing - as that is what was keeping him infection free. Then one day I thought I noticed new cell growth. How can that be? I had stopped the QuickDerm. But, no, I was not seeing things. There really was (finally) some healing taking place! Yay!

I am convinced that the Quickderm got us jump started again.

Today, this is my Java -
Java - A long time coming Java2
All healed up and has been for months! Finally!!!!
Back to top Go down
WintersSong

WintersSong

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Aww -- such a handsome little boy! Java - A long time coming 890490

Last edited by WintersSong on Mon May 09, 2011 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm

He looks amazing!! <3
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 6:36 am

he looks fantastic. Yay Quick Derm for helping the healing process.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 7:39 am

What a special little fella and he looks great. It is interesting how the Quickderm kept working even after it was stopped.

Java - A long time coming 367
Back to top Go down
cyndiekb

cyndiekb

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 4:52 pm

I so wish I had this info when I was trying to make Haley better. I know now and i have my quickdem in my first aid kit. Java looks great now. His before pic's make me cry still.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Java - A long time coming   Java - A long time coming Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Java - A long time coming
Page 1 of 1