The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Glider on GG with Facial Abscess

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 am

This member posted over on GG amid another thread so I think it got lost in the mix. I have been talking to her (Patti) through pm, directed her over here and gave her Val's number:

Here's the entire thread but I pasted her specific post below it:

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26653

I have been dealing with an abscess since 12/31. The abscess is under her chin she had it drained and given antibiotics 12/31. I noticed it swelling again 1/20 she had it drained again and given 2 antibiotics. I noticed it didn't look right 3/12 and brought her in, they thought it was scar tissue. Today there is a noticeable scab I gave her the antibiotics. We go to a well respected vet but, I am truly confused as to why she isn't healing. Can you please explain if you have gone thru this.

She is going to another vet to get a second opinion tomorrow. So happens, she lives here and has been going to the vet where I take my gliders (but hasn't seen the only vets I'll see there) so I was disappointed to hear they weren't being more proactive. The last thing she was told is that is was probably a bone infection she'd have to live with?? Hopefully, she'll call Val (as she was wondering what else to ask the new vet tomorrow), come fill in any blanks and clarify if I misunderstood any details.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Chris R

Chris R

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

Sounds to me like the abcess needs to have a drain put in it to allow it to stay open longer to drain properly....flushed two to three times daily with a triple antibiotic ointment like Panalog or Animax (can wipe the excess off after)....plus a good 10 day course of oral antibiotics
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:19 am

I'm going to check in with her later and see if she called Val and if not, have her at least come check this. Thank you so much, Chris!
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

She did just call today. Moving this to its own thread.

Facial abscesses are very difficult to treat in gliders. 10 days of antibiotic will NOT eliminate the issue. They need more like 21 days.

Some day I will get around to typing up a protocol for treating facial abscesses, but for now, ANYONE that deals with facial abscesses needs to be directed here (as there are only a few of us who have experience in successfully treating RECURRENT facial abscesses) and reminded that the SUGAR group has an ongoing facial abscess study.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Chris R

Chris R

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 pm

Val....Wow!...That is a long course of antibiotics! You're the expert on these matters so I will have to let Dale know about the longer course of antibiotics needed if that glider ever ends up with that abscess again.

Have you tried the penrose drains? You can make them small enough to keep an abscess open so it drains properly...Dale had a glider that kept coming in with a re-occurring abscess under the chin like that and that's what we did finally...was input a drain (basically from cheek to cheek under the chin with the "flaps" hanging out either side so the drain went through and past the abscessing area), flushing, e-collar so he couldn't get to it and after the 10 days of amoxi that was used, the drain was pulled and allowed to close-up...That was last fall (September-ish) and I just saw Dale on Sat and asked about the abscess glider and it hasn't been back yet!! (knocks on wood)...

This wasn't tooth related at all...From my understanding it was from a cat bite or scratch initially. It was never determined which but the glider had been attacked by the cat, healed up from that and as soon as everything seemed like it was going good, is when the re-occurring abscess started at old wound site under the chin
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 2:02 pm

There is a thread here about the use and importance of drains for facial abscesses - with pictures and everything. Glider on GG with Facial Abscess 288672

In the case you mentioned above, Chris, the cause of the abscess is an injury. It is a known cause and the treatment might be effective with a shorter course of antibiotics. Most facial abscesses in gliders have an unknown cause (hence the SUGAR group study) and are recurrent. They come back over and over and over and over - sometimes up to 5 per month! So, we have learned to treat with a drain and a much longer course of antibiotics.
Yes, there are some times in gliders when a long course of antibiotics is necessary - recurrent facial abscesses is one of those times.

Just spoke with Patti - her little one is getting a second opinion tomorrow and Patti is now armed with tons of information to take to this new vet.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 am

I took Lexi to see Dr. Mark Kombert yesterday. He is trying to be conservative to start with since Lexi has already been under anesthesia twice recently. I had put her back on the antibiotic when I noticed it was open again. Dr. Mark wants me to NOT give antibiotics and go in on Tuesday for a culture(if I went now it would show a false reading due to the antibiotic). He also said IF it gets worse to call him and we would change the plan. He looked at the xrays another vet took and can see an abnormal place by her jaw bone but, the xrays they use aren't as clear as his digital dental xrays so he will probably be doing more xrays next week. After the culture gets back we will know more. He is willing to do the surgery as a LAST resort he said it would be hard on her system. I will keep you updated.
Back to top Go down
Chris R

Chris R

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks for updating us! Please keep us informed as this may help another glider slave suffering from the same problem!!
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm so glad you came over here and updated. Thanks, Patti!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

I took Lexi for her culture on Tuesday. The vet gave me some mild antibacterial soap to clean the wound 2x's a day and keep it open. Lexi is doing well. We are waiting for the results.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 5:05 pm

The culture came back negative. Dr. Mark is going to do another on Friday. He said either the antibiotics are still in her system or its anabolic and there is no infection. He will see her again on Friday.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 pm

How is she looking?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 10:21 pm

The lump was bigger on Thursday and Dr. Mark said to open it. The area still had a red spot so you could see where to open it. I took a wash cloth with the soap and rubbed it until it bled a little and by Friday AM the lump was down. The lump is still down you can still see the red spot. I put her back with her sisters on Friday afternoon. I asked the Dr. was it possible the sisters were grooming it and keeping it clean? He said yes, in the wild they would. She is not overgroomed and is very happy and will let me rub her chin where on Thursday it hurt her when I touched it. This is very confusing? Hopefully on Friday we will have more answers. Thanks for caring! :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glider on GG with Facial Abscess   Glider on GG with Facial Abscess Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glider on GG with Facial Abscess
Page 1 of 1