INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Need Advice, Liver Issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chemistree

PostSubject: Need Advice, Liver Issue   Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:41 pm

I have three sugar gliders, all rescues. I adopted the oldest two, Zeek and Zoey, together, and then Fidget separately. I've had them all for roughly three and a half/four years, and Zeek and Fidgie are pretty healthy overall. Zoey catches colds easily, so we've been in to the vet's a few times with her for respiratory issues.

Since April, Zoey has been having issues with fluid building up in her abdomen. The vet immediately ID'd the problem as her liver, and she's been on liver meds since. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be working, since the swelling keeps coming back. We've gotten bloodwork done, and it shows elevated liver levels. It also shows low protein. The vet thinks that her liver can't process protein. Every time I give her even the tiniest amount of protein, the fluid comes back.

The vet hasn't been able to give me any sort of information about prognosis, so I'm not sure if this is something that will get better with a low-protein diet or if it is not a good outlook. I have made an appointment for a second opinion, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this sort of thing. I want to make sure that I have all the information possible about what she's going through.

Oh, and Zeek and Fidgie aren't having any issues at the moment (knock on wood). Zoey and Fidgie share water and food, Zeek is super aggressive so he cuddles with the girls during the day and goes to his own space at night (and thus has his own food and water).
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice, Liver Issue   Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Val Betts is probably the best person to talk to about this. She has tons of experience. You should try giving her a call at 806-395-0181. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice, Liver Issue   Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:01 am

Yes, please give me a call. :)

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice, Liver Issue   

Back to top Go down

Need Advice, Liver Issue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1