The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Munchie Bear

Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Empty
PostSubject: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 8:35 am

My girls joeys came oop last night but they are really tiny.  I have only been able to weigh the one so far and she is only 7g…..  The other joey is about the same size as her.  They both seem very strong although the one seems to battle to find her Mommy’s teat more than the other one….
Am really worried that their weights are so little.  I researched what other joeys look like when they come oop and her joeys still seem fairly pink, although their tails are completely black and they have the grey strip and a bit of fur on their bodies.  Have also researched that the average weight when they come opp should be between 12-18g…..  So her joeys seem much smaller than the norm…..
Mom was out and about last night with both joeys still fitting comfortably in her pouch which shows how little they are…..  She picked up a total of 26g during her pregnancy.  She is also a very small glider.  Could it be that they are tiny because she is?  Her non pregnant weight is between 65g and 68g and just before they came oop she was at 91g.
She is on the Gliderkids reduced honey diet which has and still is working really well for her.  She is in good health and sings to her joeys fairly often.
Some of the time when the one little joey tries to find the teat she moves away from the joey, yet she will lick her.  When I hold the little one and she cries, Mommy nor Daddy don’t seem to be stressed and don’t come looking for her.  He seems impartial to her but he is also a first time Daddy so it could be that he is still getting the hang of it.
Perhaps I am just being paranoid, but I want to be prepared for whatever situation arises.
Could you please assist with your comments based on your experience and let me know what I need to look out for and if everything seems on track or not….
Thank you so much!

Looking forward to hearing from you…

Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... 20140812

Last edited by Munchie Bear on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong Picture inserted)
Back to top Go down
Munchie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 9:00 am

Here is another Pic:
Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... 20140813
Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

PostSubject: Re: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 1:39 pm

So adorable!  I'm not an expert, but thought that a pic of triplets born here might help.  They ranged from 10.2 to 12.2 g in this pic.  I know that 3g is still alot, but it is still small.  These guys, still pretty small, did very well.  Hopefully the joeys will attach to mom and keep on growing!  Someone with more experience will undoubtedly come along.  Please keep us posted on their progress!

Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Tinytr11
Back to top Go down
http://www.highglass.com
Munchie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 4:10 pm

They are glorious Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... 890490
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Have you checked out http://www.suzsugargliders.com/helpforrejectedjoeys.htm just in case? Wishing you and your little ones the best! I don't really have much experience with joeys, myself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Munchie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Thank you everyone......
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 9:06 pm

ALL of the joeys one of my trios had were small. 6-9 grams for all 8 of them. A lot of people told me to be worried, but one very wise breeder told me that weight at birth isn't as important as whether or not they are gaining weight and developing well. They did. So, I would not worry, but I would make sure they are gaining weight (5-7 grams per week initially)
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....   Help!  Newly Oop Twins too Small..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! Newly Oop Twins too Small.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: JOEY & NURSING MOTHER CARE & ISSUES :: Joey rejection, injury or illness/ Nursing mother Care-
Jump to: