HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Advice for first time "grandmas"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 pm

I know that we have quite a few breeders that come through here. I would love to hear your advice or words of wisdom for someone that is expecting their first joey(s). Often times people adopt gliders that are pregnant or they find themselves facing the pregnancy unexpectedly. I know they would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom.

I know when Morsel and Kibble were having their first joeys, Sheila warned me that sometimes first-time moms were frightened by the camera, so limit pictures.

Stuff like that. What have you got to share that will help - any and everything you can think of.

Thanks in advance!

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Finally, the week-end! I have time to reply to stuff!

Joeys, fun, fun, fun! I have several things to think of for this thread.

1. I find that my momma with joeys IP drink quite a bit more, so keep a close eye on the water.

2. When you start seeing parts, or think you should be, that's when to switch the pouch for the last time for a bit.

3. On that note, use lots of hammocks, joeys will climb out of the pouch, or go for a ride on momma, and can fall.

4. Go ahead and buy all the stuff to supliment feed babies--you'll feel better, lowering your stress, therefore lowering mommas stress.

5. Normal stuff you already do isn't going to be so stressful that momma pulls or rejects the joeys. So, don't freak out about all of that stuff.

Thats all I have for now. As I just woke up, I'm sure I'll have more. And I bet, if some of you other people think, you have stuff, too. Probably better stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
Chris R

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Another thing to do when changing out the pouch for the last time for a few weeks......LOWER all the pouches in the cage...that way if a joey does get "lost" it doesnt have far to fall...... also make sure to put a bit of fleece on the bottom of the cage to cushion any said falls
Back to top Go down
Critter Hill
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:54 pm

I only have 1 pouch in the cage for at least the first few weeks.
You may need to feed a little more of their staple.
When I had 2 different mothers with triplets, both were too big too move around for a number of days before the babies came fully out of the pouch so I had to hand feed them food in their sleeping pouch.
Some mothers don't mind you babysitting from the beginning, but some are very protective of their babies initially, so as tempting as it is to grab those babies for some cuddling and photos take it slowly and play it by ear.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesugargliderstore.com
jennifer

PostSubject: New grandma   Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I am the proud Momma to two of the best gliders!!! The female, Sissy, has just introduced her first born (TWINS!!!) :)
She and Buddy are are so good with their joeys. Taking turns caring for them at night while the other gets some exercise, food and fresh air...
I noticed that for a while Sissy ate more protein and drank a lot of her Pediatric Electrolyte, which she loves all the time !!
And I've been giving her lots of veges and meat sprinkled with powdered eggs for the extra protein need to nurse her joeys.
So far they are doing great, they have only been OOP for 3 days, so we haven't got to see the babies really good yet.
I am new at this too, so if anyone can help me out on when it's best to start interacting with the joeys I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks ( I am so excited ) Jennifer
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Jennifer, you can start playing with the joeys day 1, as long as momma and daddy don't stress about it. For the first week or so only 5 to 10 minutes away from mom. Gradually increase the the time out of the cage. Make sure you give mom and dad lots of treats when you take them and when you bring them back, it builds good will :)

Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Shapes on a Page, my next movie.
Back to top Go down
jennifer

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks so much for the advice.. It has proved to be true and I appreciate the thought of giving them treats. They weren't very happy about their babies being taken at all the first couple of times, but seem to be ok with it now. The twins are 2 wks now and growing so fast!!!
Thanks again !!
Back to top Go down
Cora

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:44 pm

Always use a blankie from the pouch when handling the joeys. That will cut down on skunking and snuffling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
jennifer

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:46 pm

Thank You, but now I need to know what in the world your talking about :)
1) what is skunking?
2) what is snuffling?
I'm new to this, so you gotta be more specific for me cause most of these terms are all new to me!!!!

any help or advice is greatly appreciated....
Back to top Go down
valkyriemome

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:28 pm

Snuffling - or snarfing - is the sound babies make that is not crabbing. It is actually crying. When you first start holding them, they cry.

Skunking is ... exactly that! When joeys get startled or scared, they let off a skunk smell.
Back to top Go down
jennifer

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:43 am

O.K. got a small piece of fleece, should that do it ?
The little boy~ Buster~ snuffles a lot, but the female never makes a peep!!!
I hate that we can't keep them both, but we want to get a beautiful white face girlfriend for Buster So I just can't keep her!
It makes it easier knowing that she'll be well taken care of, but I get attached so quickly and I have it !!!! Glideridis !!!
They got me hook line and sinker!!!
Thanks for the advice.. and feel free to give any ~~ more suggestions that may help!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cora

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:01 pm

The fleece has to come from their pouch and placed back with the joeys in the pouch so it smells like their nest, makes them less anxious. You can also put the joeys and the fleece in your bra for a little while(get a sports bra (2 sizes too big) or bathing suit top with built in shelf bra so they will have room. Joeys are so much fun but grow up so fast!!!! enjoy! You may call me if you wish so you can actually TALK about the whole joey thing!!! : )
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
jennifer

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks so much and I WILL be calling, THANKS
Back to top Go down
daddyglider

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:42 am

Put mom, dad, and babies in bra or in my case a t-shirt pocket pouch.
Art
Don't forget to ENJOY the baby suggies, they are so cute and so much fun.
Back to top Go down
jennifer

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:03 am

Sounds like a great idea to me. Except that dad has a skin fetish.. meaning he likes to taste it, with his teeth! But mom and babies will do just fine. Give dad a break that way,
Buddy is a sweetie too...But he's always been a taster..
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice!!
I truly appreciate it!!! We are definitely enjoying our little ones. And by the sounds of things, Mom and Dad are already busy working on our next .....
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

I just had a thought, joeys need to stay with mom and dad until they are at least 8 weeks OOP (out of pouch). I saw a question elsewhere, and thought I'd update here. They can stay longer if the males are neutered, and there is more on that elsewhere, but the earliest they should leave, is 8 weeks OOP.

Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Shapes on a Page, my next movie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for first time "grandmas"   

Back to top Go down

Advice for first time "grandmas"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1