The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Giardia Infection

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 11:04 am

Hi all, After getting a clear fecal several months ago, one of my rescue gliders presented with diarrhea two days ago. Yesterday I had a fecal run, and he has giardia! POOR T Rex!

So, T Rex is in quarantine and is being treated with flagyl. His cage, toys and dishes are being sanitized daily with bleach as per Val's Protocol. The only fleece in the cage is his pouch. No one else is symptomatic but I insisted on treatment for the others as well. T Rex is in an isolation cage in a bathtub (easiest place to sanitize daily) and he is very depressed and away from his family.

My question is, do I continue to allow him in the bonding pouch with me(alone) or do I just leave him be? I don't want to handle him too much but I have heard of gliders separated from their cage mates that frequently go downhill...Thanks for the advice in advance :)

Also, he is to have a 10 Day round of Flagyl (.03 ml Twice Daily) and is to be rechecked in 2 weeks. Does he need to be isolated from his family for this long?
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 1:24 pm

This is JMO but was he in the cage with the others up until this fecal test?

If so and you are treating all the gliders I personally would not separate him from his cage mates. He has been with them so they have already been exposed to it so why separate them? Just treat them all and clean well and wash your hands and I would change clothing after handling them.

Keep your routine with him if you handled him before then handle him now.

You need to retest him after he had finished his medication and then I would test again I believe it is 21 days after that. Giarddia has a life cycle and you want 2 clean fecal to be sure you have killed the cycle.
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks so much Brenda! Do vets usually do one or two rounds of flagyl? Thank you for your quick response and advice.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Agree with Brenda. Quarantine now is not helpful. You treat now. Test again when your vet says then a 3rd time 21 to 30 days later to get a 2nd all clear. You'll treat a second time only if you get another positive (unless things have changed since last time I did this).
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks Shawna! Good advice on a third test. The vet didn't say that and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Ps - He is back with his family :)
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Good luck with it! He will be happier with his family! You should also be treating and testing the whole cage when you have a parasite issue.  You should be able to call the office and ask about treatment for the whole cage.  They will need the weights for all of them.  Some vets will require to see all of them though.
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 12:56 am

Yes ma'am. I go to West gate vet and they were happy to treat all 4. I went to Research Pet and Bird and they were very inflexible and wouldn't. I explained that sugar gliders are colonial animals who lick each other etc but they wanted to see all 4. Westgate understood and gave me enough for all 4 :) I have seen 4 sugar glider vets and I finally found Dr. Davis. She's amazing!
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 12:57 am

Oh, and to gave them weights. I have a small digital scale :)
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 11:12 pm

I didn't like Research Pet and Bird, but I LOVE Westgate! They are AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 11:43 pm

That's great to know :)  I was in rush hour for an hour and a half from Westgate to get back to my house but it's well worth the drive.  I mentioned Val (at Research) and some of her treatment suggestions regarding when T Rex has a severe corneal scratch and flea tapeworms and they stuck up their nose and told me she wasn't a vet.  That's the last they saw of me!  The vets at Westgate seem to have respect for those with practical experience,  as well as my opinion :)
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Exactly. I live almost in Georgetown, and make the drive, but consider it worth it. Dr Davis has seen my cats, my ferrets, and my gliders. Dr Lusk is the one who's spent the most time with my gliders, but I think Dr Davis is the one who has the most experience with them. They are all very experienced, and very patient. I love that they work with you on finances when needed, and that they listen to what you have to say.
How's everyone feeling today?
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Wow! You have me beat for the driving :) I have seen Dr. Lusk, but he told me to feed as many insects as possible and skip the fruits and veggies so I tried Dr. Davis. That's great to know about finances, as my healthy vet fund has been severely reduced!

Everyone is feeling wonderfully today! Thanks for asking :) They are all cuddled up in their bonding pouch sleeping peacefully. T Rex was a lot more active last night and his stools have firmed up (AMEN). I think Dr. Davis and her quick thinking saved the day :) He is still my feistiest and standoffish glider, but he is definitely coming around quickly.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Mopac at rush hour is not fun! We had differences on diet, definitely, but I am fairly confident in my diet education. All I've had to do for a while (knock wood) is wellness checks, thank God!

That is great news! I'm glad he's doing better. Extra treats will help with the coming around :)
Back to top Go down
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Giardia Infection 1956175960 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Giardia Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giardia Infection   Giardia Infection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Giardia Infection
Page 1 of 1