HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Abscess Surgery in Senior

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SuggieG

PostSubject: Abscess Surgery in Senior   Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:11 am

Hello Everyone,

I have been on here before concerning my 13 y.o. glider and his abscesses.  I have found tonight that he has had a 4th abscess appear in the same spot as the last one.  During the last one, the vet said that he may need his tooth pulled but he was afraid that it would destabilize the jaw if we did.  So, the tooth was not pulled and he has been fine for a couple of months.

My questions is this - Because of his age, should I go ahead with another abscess surgery or not?  With each surgery, he has progressively lost weight.  When he was healthy, he weighed 96g and with each surgery he has lost weight so that now he is down to 76g.  I am really worried about what will happen after another one.  And we can't pull the tooth so they will be reoccurring now it seems.

At what point is it more humane to spare them the surgery?  He is the love of my life.  I can't bear to think of him not being with me, but I don't want to do more harm than good.

I will appreciate any guidance that you are willing to give.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Abscess Surgery in Senior   Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:49 am

Could your vet share the x-rays of the tooth root with Dr. Walsh?  I think that might give him more insight.  Why exactly does he think the jaw would be destabalized?

I have a 15 year old glider, and if she needed a tooth pulled, I would have the tooth pulled.  You can't leave an abscess to just fester, you have to have it drained and flushed, so yes, he needs to go in.   One of the largest causes of death in gliders is bacterial infection that is not treated, so I would not waste time in getting it lanced and drained and started on antibiotics.

Unfortunately, you are right.  If there is tooth root involvement, then this will continue to happen over and over until the cause is addressed.  If, however, there is not tooth root involvement (your x-rays will clear that up), then it still could be a recurrent issue, unfortunately.  Facial abscesses are sometimes difficult to eliminate in gliders.  I wouldn't let his age stop you from treating it appropriately.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
SuggieG

PostSubject: Re: Abscess Surgery in Senior   Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:41 am

He has an appointment this afternoon. I think I am more scared of what the antibiotics do to him. He has compromised kidneys and every time that he is on antibiotics, I can tell it makes him worse. He is nothing but skin and bones it seems and I don't know if he can take more weight loss.
Back to top Go down
GliderguyKev

PostSubject: Re: Abscess Surgery in Senior   Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

Renee, I hope your ol guy is doing okay!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abscess Surgery in Senior   

Back to top Go down

Abscess Surgery in Senior
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1