HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

TheJadeFlower Tail SM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheJadeFlower

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 pm

I don't know. Very stressed. Saw vet today. She said tip of tail is dead again and needs more amputation. Another $250 I don't have. What options do I have. I don't want to give her up. I'm not a fair weather animal owner, but I don't want her to suffer because I can't afford ongoing vet bills. Since I couldn't afford another amputation the vet said she would try to research some other options ans call us in a few days. In the mean time it seems we are just hoping infection doesn't set in. She is still in an e-collar. Is there any really point to that since she's getting to her tail with it anyway?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:53 am

I have never used an e-collar with a tail amputation. You need to realize that they WILL mess with the tail after surgery, and that does not mean they are SMing.

I haven't gone back to read -- did you have x-rays to determine where the damage was the first time? She may still be messing with it because there is a break or fracture further up on the tail.

Will your vet consult with Dr. Walsh? He has a technique he uses when doing a tail amp. that allows the glider some freedom to mess with the tail afterward without doing any real damage.

Why don't you give me a call? My numbers are in the "who to call" section of this forum. I can help you -- been through this many times.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
BCChins
Associate

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 am

Something_To_Believe_In wrote:

I haven't gone back to read -- did you have x-rays to determine where the damage was the first time?  She may still be messing with it because there is a break or fracture further up on the tail.
Good thinking Val. I had this very thing happen with a glider who's owner tried multiple times with the vet and the glider kept chewing at the incision. She brought him tome, took him in to the vet and found it broken up higher. Amputated it and he never chewed it again.

Brenda
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Something_To_Believe_In wrote:

Will your vet consult with Dr. Walsh?  He has a technique he uses when doing a tail amp. that allows the glider some freedom to mess with the tail afterward without doing any real damage.
Good idea. I don't think I mentioned it before, but my most recent tail amputation was healing fine and so I thought we were all good. We weren't, we ended up needing a second amputation, further up, and it was Dr. Walsh who performed that one (due to the fact that we were hundreds of miles from home and really close to him) and all went great after that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
TheJadeFlower

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Thank you Val for not judging and continuing to walk me through this. We have not done an x-ray but as I said in my last post at this point I can't afford to. I work two jobs so I'm trying to pick up some extra hours, but how much do X-rays usually run? I will call my vet tomorrow and pass on doctor walshes number. I know my vet doesn't see many gliders (largely a bird clientele). Val I will call soon. Because of the holiday I'm working more condensed hours this week and I work 12hr shifts. I may have my mother call since she is more available and she helps care for the girls. Her name is Sherry.
Back to top Go down
TheJadeFlower

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 am

Hey guys! Just wanted to give an update. Sorry I've been MIA for a bit. Lots going on. I decided to leave my full time job and spend time focusing on all my babies and myself. It's been such a liberating decision! While money will be tight I've found dealing with Stella's condition is much less stressful now that I have time. Anywho...we left our original vet. She was not good ( should I add her as a NOT recommended vet in MO? I'd really like to warn future people about them). After talking with Val (THANKS VAL!) we tracked down another vet and holy cow. What. A. Difference! After we told him how bad the last vet was he was upset. He has charged us practically nothing and Stella is FINALLY on the road to recovery. X- rays show no issues but she will still eat into her tail without a cone. I'm praying once healed she will stop and it won't end up being a legitimate sm thing. Only time will tell I guess. At this point she's spent practically half her life in a cone. We all look forward to her liberation.

My new joeys join the family on Friday. Can't wait to meet them. I hope Jezabel bonds to them quickly... She's been alone for too long!

Speaking of Jezabel. I don't know where to ask this question so I guess I'll just do it here for now. At night, when cuddle time is over and I place Jezebel in her cage - she freezes. Wherever I place her she just stays there. Completely frozen. For maybe about 15 minutes. Then she will just suddenly snap out of it and go about exploring and being normal. Has anyone seen this before?? It really worries me. I will reach in sometimes and pet her or relocate where she is or offer a treat and she just stands there. Frozen.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am

I'm so happy to hear your update. Thank you for coming back to post! It sounds like you really are on a good road to recovery.

Jezabel sounds normal. It's not common, but it does happen. She is just making sure it's safe before she gets moving again.

Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Shapes on a Page, my next movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:48 am

I just thought of something, does Jez get treats during play time?

Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Glad she is doing better. Thank you for updating.
Have you tried placing her in a large pouch when putting her back. She might feel safer.

Curious about the treat question above.

Brenda
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Too add to the treat question, when she freezes, does she do anything else? Does she shake at all? Does she react to you?

Back to top Go down
TheJadeFlower

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:40 am

I do give treats often when we are interacting and usually one or two to forage for at night (trying not to spoil dinner). When she freezes she shakes sometimes, but usually just sits perfectly still. It's been her cage for awhile now. Why would she still be fearful? Her sister (even with the cone) is the opposite. She shoots around the cage right away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TheJadeFlower Tail SM   

Back to top Go down

TheJadeFlower Tail SM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2