The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables

Go down 
+9
SLHamil
BindiAndScrubbie
Usha77
sugeebaby
Something_To_Believe_In
bjve
GliderguyKev
DCMuffin
BCChins
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
bjve
Associate
bjve

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I visited the Horrock's store in Battle Creek yesterday, and - woo hoo!! - they had all sorts of fun fruit/veggies that I never see anywhere! I came home with guava, persimmon, fresh nice looking sugar snap peas, and lemon grass. I'm not sure what to do with the lemon grass. I recall reading somewhere that gliders enjoyed playing with it, but thought I'd ask here. The lemongrass I picked up is long, stiff, multi-layered stalks. Anyone have experience with it? They LOVE persimmon! Tonight they will try guava. There were a couple other items that I will pick up next time. One was called chayote (?-not sure of name) squash. It was green and hard, so I passed on it.

No one has any experience with chestnuts? I can't find any reference to them and sugar gliders via Google. Drat. I won't chance feeding it without confirmation that it's not toxic to them.

Back to top Go down
http://www.highglass.com
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Hey Bobbie, for the lemongrass, I cut all of the dead rough parts off, likely half of the stalk and then put the softer pieces (about 3 inches long) into a whiffle ball and c-clip it to the cage. Be careful as I can imagine that they could hurt their eyes with the dried part, that's why I cut it off. I cannot find definitively that it is safe for gliders, but it is listed as non toxic to cats and dogs and based on my personal research I use it and its a fun enrichment toy!
Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks, Elizabeth! I am going to give that a try!
Back to top Go down
http://www.highglass.com
Bluebonnet SG

Bluebonnet SG

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 12:35 am

Anytime ;)
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 8:06 pm

We (the people in the house) had acorn squash for dinner last night, I gave the gliders the seeds. I didn't clean them or cook them or anything. There wasn't a single sign of seed today. They ate every bit of them. They won't eat any of the squashes I give, unless I chop them pretty small and mix with their veggies, but they ate the seeds!
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 6:46 am

Guess I will get them some Squash "guts" to try! HUM maybe I can offer to buy and cut up the squash this Thanksgiving. Mom gets the squash for dinner and the gliders can have the guts!

You know ever since I have been experimenting with new foods for the gliders I too have expanded my horizons on new foods. Hated Sweet Potatoes.....it was called unidentified orange mush in my house and at the Thanksgiving Dinner Table by all the kids. Now that I have taken to trying it different ways I have found that adding a bit of raw honey to it I like it. It tastes good/sweet/and the honey is just another health benefit.

I have two pumpkins out on the garden wall and now that Halloween is over I am going to cut the top off and cut a large hole in the side for the gliders to go into and see what kind of a mess they can create, I will pull out some of the guts before hand. I know if they decide to really climb into the pumpkin they will be a big mess but hey everyone needs a bit O fun every now and again! They will have to groom each other after. I think I will use a cage for this also as not to have to wash so much after.
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 10:49 am

Oh, that sounds like a great idea!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Fun Fruits & Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 6:24 pm

So many of our community members worry about what they can and cannot feed their gliders.  The short answer to this is - almost anything!  Stay away from garlic, stay away from onions and others in its family.  But other than that, folks, you can feed just about anything!  We are lucky, in that our grocery stores in the DC area sell a wide variety of great f/v's, and several exotics, as well.  I thought I'd share with you some of those things so that you, too, can see them, know what they are and even feed them, if your store carries them.  Here we go!

Ugli Fruit
Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 UgliFruit_zpsd7713d29

Ugli fruit is a cross between an orange, a grapefruit and a tangerine.  They are sweet and incredibly yummy!  Yes, they look ugly, hence the name, but boy are they tasty.  When I feed it, I sometimes peel it (the peel is VERY thick) and just pull it apart and toss it in dishes, or I simply cut it into pieces and feed.  Either is fine :)

Dragon Fruit

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 DragonFruit_zps842c1b70

A favorite here in our house!  I simply cut it up and feed it in pieces.  No need to peel it!

Cilantro

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Cilantro_zpse3e57762

Didn't know you could feed this?  Yep, sure can!  My gliders love it!  I just grab a bunch from the store, chop it up into pieces and sprinkle it over their food.  It's as easy as that!

Jicama

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Jicama_zps3bb562dc

Very yummy for your gliders, at least mine really like it.  Jicama is a vegetable that's sold at most grocery stores.  When I feed it, I will sometimes peel the section that I'm going to feed (the "peel" is very stringy and difficult to get off) and just cut it into chunks, or I'll cut with the peel on.  You can do it either way!

I don't want to share them all in just one post so I'll try to update these often so that your little ones can enjoy dinners just like we do here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 7:38 pm

We love jicama here (I nab a bite or two whenever I'm chopping it up).  I have seen cilantro, but did not know if it would be good.  I'll have to try it sometime. 

Another one I like and the gliders like now and then (goofy babies...never know what they'll eat one week to the next!) is cactus leaf - hope I'm not stealing your thunder, Aimee.  ;)  I just cut off the pointy things and then chop it up.   

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Cactus10
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 8:29 am

Can we get more photos and experiences shared? This is great information for new owners.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:48 am

Yes, yes and yes!  Let's get started again.

Artichoke

Many people don't know how to make this for themselves, so it's not crazy that they don't know how to prepare it for their gliders.  But really, it's quite simple.  I make mine two different ways.  First things first, though.  You will want to prep it prior to cooking, and this is important.  Artichoke leaves have little pointy ends.  You will want to cut the tip of each leaf off with a scissors.  Once this is done, chop off the stem down to the base of the choke.  You can feed it raw or cooked, and if cooking, you typically boil it for about 30 minutes, drain and let it cool (it will stay hot for a LONG time!).  Sometimes, I will take the leaves off and toss them around the cage and in their food dishes.  Other times, I will simply leave it intact and put their other fruits and veggies inside so they have to dig for them.  It's fun!

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Artichoke_zps8939534c

Horned Melon

This is a fun one, but it'll make a MESS so don't say I didn't warn you!  There are pointies on this fruit, too, so just lop them off with a knife, cut it up and feed it.  It's jelly-like inside, so don't be surprised if it just oozes all over.  I usually put large chunks of this in my feeding dishes and they LOVE it!

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Hornedmelon_zps22199df0

Spaghetti Squash

Aptly named because the insides look just like spaghetti noodles!  And in fact, many people cook it and use it for just that purpose.  You can feed this raw or cooked (mine like it cooked).  Open it up, let them dig out the fun inside.  :)

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 SpaghettiSquash_zps656c173f
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:54 am

Sweet Peppers

Don't confuse these with jalapeno peppers, because they are not.  Sweet Peppers are tasty and my gliders love them!  I simply cut off the top of the pepper, about 1/4 inch down from the base of the stem, dig out the seeds and chop it up.  

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 SweetPeppers_zpsb9503c40

Cactus Pear/Prickly Pear

A HUGE favorite in my house - the Cactus Pear, otherwise known as Prickly Pear.  Again, aptly named because it has little, tiny prickly cactus needles on the outside.  So, if you pick this up at the grocery store, use a plastic bag or a paper towel because those little needles are nearly impossible to see and they WILL stick in your fingers and stay there.  To prepare this, you can either use a lighter and gently burn off all the pricklies, chop and serve.  Or, you can just be lazy like me, take the peel off and cut it like that.  Be careful, though, this fruit stains, but it's oh so good!

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 PricklyPear_zpsa877ce25

Brussel Sprouts

Brussel sprouts are very good for you, and equally as good for your gliders.  Easy to serve - raw or cooked.  I generally feed them raw.  Sometimes, I put them in their cage whole and let them tear them apart (their leaves come off in layers), or you can chop them up.  Either works!

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 BrusselSprouts_zps026ea5db
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Question please...Can they have fresh Ginger? I was on FB and someone cuts up fresh Ginger into small bits and feeds it. I have seen this 100's of times in the grocery store and wondered if it is OK to feed, how much and how often.

Thank You
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Mine have had fresh ginger. I just used a shredder and put a few pieces on top. Teeka threw it, Bandit ate it. Not sure about the others. But it's safe.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Thank you will try it this weekend. I tend to use the potato peeler with things that are on the harder side. I found they will at least try it this way.

Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 6:12 am

Yet another question , but hey that is how we learn right?

What herbs/spices can gliders have? Fresh and/or dried?

I received some Lemon Basil (tasted great on Sword Fish BTW) given to me. Was wondering if it is safe to give. My friend is cutting back her bush so I asked her to wait just in case they can have a bit of it.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 9:58 am

It's a hybrid of two types of basil, so should be safe. I've given my guys basil. They didn't eat much, more played with it.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 3:24 pm

I have fed several herbs and yes, basil is fine. And cilantro. They LOVE LOVE LOVE cilantro!
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Today at Whole foods we picked up a Horned Melon, Dragon Fruit,and Longans. And from the farm we picked 15 lbs of nectarines!

Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 4:23 pm

What are longans? I've heard of and eaten the others :)
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 4:31 pm

I believe they are kind of like Lyches. They can in a container like blueberries would and there are about 15 or so in the box. They taste better then Lychees!!
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 11:23 am

Longans(pronounced long-guns) are the Asian version of Lychees. Longans are from Southern Asia and Lychees are from China. One has a smooth skin the other has bumpy skin. There is a third is Rambutan but it has a hairy skin. It's from Vietnam
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables   Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Photos of not-so-common foods fed -- Fun Fruits and Vegetables
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3