The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arm caught in cage wire

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GliderguyKev

GliderguyKev

Arm caught in cage wire Empty
PostSubject: Arm caught in cage wire   Arm caught in cage wire Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 8:20 pm

I had not heard to this before so wanted to see if anyone else had.

I met with a couple earlier today who had just taken their glider to see the vet. They had two gliders in one of the cages supplied by PPP. They discovered their little guy had woven his arm through the bars. These cages have the horizonal and vertical bars which prevented the little guy from getting his arm disentangled.
Arm caught in cage wire I-zFZv858-XL

They had to literally cut the cage wire which showed signs of where the glider had chewed on the wire trying to get free. Luckily, they caught this quickly and were able to cut out the section of wire before he could self-mutilate. The xrays showed no break, but the vet advised keeping him in a small cage to allow the tendons time to heal. They were also given an anti-inflammatory, probably metacam.

I have cages with this same wire pattern (but powder-coated) that I use for re-homes, but now I'm somewhat concerned.
Anyone else heard of this happening?
Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

PostSubject: Re: Arm caught in cage wire   Arm caught in cage wire Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Wow. I would never have seen this coming, either! Glad they found him early and he's ok!
Back to top Go down
http://www.highglass.com
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Arm caught in cage wire   Arm caught in cage wire Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 7:43 am

I have several of these cage and have used them for years and have not had a problem. I personally would say this is a freak accident. I will worry about this but not to the point of replacing the cages. I feel with all the cages out there made from this wire and this is the only accident I have ever heard about from the wire the chances of it happening are not that great.
JMO
Hope this little one heals quickly.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Arm caught in cage wire   Arm caught in cage wire Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 8:01 am

I'm with Brenda. I'm having a hard time even picturing how this happened.
In any case, I'm glad the little glider is OK.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
GliderguyKev

GliderguyKev

PostSubject: Re: Arm caught in cage wire   Arm caught in cage wire Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 8:18 am

If I hadn't met with them personally and seen the section of wire they cut out I'm not sure I would have believed this could happen. He must have reached through one hole and then back through another and then twisted his body around making it impossible to get free. Poor guy.

He's in good hands though. They are good people doing all the right things to care for him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arm caught in cage wire   Arm caught in cage wire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arm caught in cage wire
Page 1 of 1