The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The importance of weight and stress testing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

The importance of weight and stress testing Empty
PostSubject: The importance of weight and stress testing   The importance of weight and stress testing Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:23 am

It is so important that our seamstresses and toy makers concern themselves with how much stress their products will take and how much weight they can hold. Did you know that a colony of gliders can weigh more than 2 pounds? And, a pouch is NOT the only place you will find them all gathering.

I have become convinced that many toy makers have never taken this into consideration. Many have never stress or weight tested their items. Here at Glider Pals, I test how much weight each new product can hold without breaking and then stress test it by leaving that weight in the product for 1-3 weeks while I occasionally swing it or bump it. So many vendors are so quick to put their products on the market that they don't bother with testing. For those of us with large colonies (or those with large gliders), this is a huge concern.

Here are a few photos to illustrate the importance of testing before these products are put into cages.
The importance of weight and stress testing Gliderstuff346

The importance of weight and stress testing Gliderstuff291
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

The importance of weight and stress testing Empty
PostSubject: Re: The importance of weight and stress testing   The importance of weight and stress testing Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am

I couldn't agree more and feel that it's so important to the health and safety of our little ones.

Speaking of weight, we also have to take some responsibility once a toy comes into our home. I have a feeding dish/toy that I use daily in any given cage. The dish itself is safe and has proven itself through many washings, uses, etc. However, the other night, I chose to use a regular c-link (the small ones that often come with pouches and toys) to hang it from the top of the cage and before long, there was a crash. Though the toy itself can withstand the weight of 4 large gliders (all well over 100 grams), the c-link did not and snapped, sending the toy and gliders crashing to the floor of the cage.

Definitely something to think about when you hang your toys/dishes, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com

The importance of weight and stress testing
Page 1 of 1