HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

*~* STAINING *~*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: *~* STAINING *~*   Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:29 pm

We hear it talked about a lot, but I find that many new owners do not really know what they are looking at or what it may mean. There are many reasons a glider might be stained, but each one results in a fur color that is not the glider's natural fur color. Sometimes, this is mistaken as a variation on gray color in gliders. More often than not, it is just staining.

Staining can be a result of poor hygiene and a dirty environment. If pouches/nest boxes are not cleaned and switched out often enough, a glider will become stained. If the cage is not cleaned regularly, the glider can become stained. Also, some intact males will mark a LOT, causing them and their cage mates to be stained. This is especially true if pouches or environment are cleaned too often.

Most often, in my experience, staining has been the result of diet.
Have you ever seen a person who has cirrhosis of the liver due to alcoholism? Or a heroin addict? A person with cirrhosis may look jaundiced, maybe overweight, may have red, splotchy skin, etc. A heroin addict looks like they are wasting away. The reality is that their appearance is dramatically changed simply because of what they regularly put into their body. The SAME is true of gliders.

Here are some pictures of a glider that lives in my home on the day he came to live with me:

Now, he is a beautiful glider, to be sure. BUT, he is terribly stained. So was his cage mate. For years, they had been fed a diet that was not the best for them.

Can gliders live on a bad diet? Sure
Will they live as long or as healthy of lives as they would live if they were always fed a good diet? NOPE
Will they recover from illness or injury as completely or as quickly if not fed a good diet? NOPE.
Will they be as active if not on a good diet? NOPE.
But, can they live? Yes..... for a while.

You can clearly see that Magic has lived. But, the diet and living conditions he was in are taking their toll, and it shows very clearly in his fur. Much like the person with a cirrhosis or the heroin addict, the outward appearance is an indication of something going on INSIDE the body.

Coat condition can be improved by changing diet and improving living conditions. But, we don't really know the damage that long term use of a poor diet can do to the body. We are studying it, but don't have those answers yet.

After two weeks on a good diet, Magic's coat is already less yellow/orange:

After 2 months of a good diet and improved living conditions, Magic is looking much better:

Today, Magic is simply stunning

I hope that through these pictures you can see just how much can change just by focusing on providing a healthy, safe, clean environment and providing a diet that meets all their nutritional needs (even if it means more work for you).

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.

Last edited by Something_To_Believe_In on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Cora

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm

I have seen it but dont have any of THAT going on here...lol...I have had some come here stained but not after a few months of clean pouch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 am

Wow! What a transformation.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
Goldwinger

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 am

Magic is absolutely beautiful now. Doesn't even look like the same glider. The name definately fits this glider. He changed like Magic. Wow!
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 am

Wanted to point out, also, that it took a full 10 MONTHS for Magic's staining to be fully cleared. Sometimes, with years of bad diet or less than clean circumstances, the staining can be very deeply set in and can take a long time to clear. So, we have to be careful not to post gliders as a different color variation when they MAY just be stained. If you are not SURE (by having lineage and history), then just don't call them another color variation.

~*~ Val ~*~

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 am

Agreed. Lan & Nynaeve came to me pretty well stained (poor diet, dirty pouch and cage, etc) & I knew nothing about colors, thought they may be cinnies until someone told me they were probably stained. Many months on a good diet and clean cage and fresh pouches and sure enough, they were lovely grays.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:40 am

I wanted to put up other photos of gliders with staining, as they aren't all as dramatic as Magic above.

(this one is after about 5 weeks in my home)

~*~ Val ~*~

Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Run over and steal Magic, what a handsome fella.

I have had staining from males marking females. And from re-homes coming here on bad diet and dirty cages. I tell you after getting out of those dirty smelly pouches they must feel so much better.

Question when you get in a glider who has a dirty cage and nasty pouch do you just give them a new one or do you put a new one in the cage and wait a day or so and remove the old one, do you put in a new one and add an old blanket or cut a blanket out of the old pouch so they have the old scent as not to stress them?

Brenda
Back to top Go down
rchurch

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Here's a picture of Batman when we first got him, he was fed primarily on apples, the occasional scrambled egg and junk food (popcorn, cookies, whatever his previous owner felt like at the moment):

About 6 months later, on HPW:

Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Brenda, when I get gliders from terrible conditions, I put them in clean conditions right away. If they are highly anxious, I might cut a blankie from their old pouch, but not usually.

~*~ Val ~*~

Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Thank you and I agree why make them wait another minute to be clean? Putting a small scent blanket is way better then a entire nasty pouch IMO.

Brenda
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Same here, Val. The gliders that come here get new, clean pouches. Two times, I've cut up an old pouch to use it for blankies but that's it. I know people talk about letting them transition, etc., but I've never had a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
Mowglismom

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Wow Magic and the other babies are gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
Feather

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:39 pm

BCChins wrote:
Thank you and I agree why make them wait another minute to be clean? Putting a small scent blanket is way better then a entire nasty pouch IMO.

I did that will little Russel when he came in, threw out cage and toys, he didn't have a wheel. Cut a small piece of dirty pouch, gave him a clean cage, cage set, toys and wheel.

He climbed in the new pouch and kicked out the dirty blanket, I reached in with a clean blanket and held it out to him in the pouch and he took it.

Guess he told us how he felt, sometimes they don't need a piece of dirty pouch for a blanket. Just clean stuff and good food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *~* STAINING *~*   

Back to top Go down

*~* STAINING *~*
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1