The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Gypsy's pouch looks and feels a little moist. It does not look inflamed. I only have the one girl and two neutered boys so I don't know what it is supposed to look like. Here are a couple of pics.

Looking for help 011-gypsyresized

Looking for help 010-6gypsyresized

Sorry the pictures aren't too good but my camera is oldish. Doesn't seem to bother her and she has been grooming it. I just inspect them very well lately.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

If you are concerned, you need to get her in to the vet for a pouch swab and culture. That will give you answers and also a course of treatment if needed.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Val, he said of course he had no idea what he was looking at and we pulled her pouch open for inspection. He swabbed it and there was discharge of some kind on it. He ran test and said it had small amounts of cocci bacteria and no yeast. He looked up what infected pouches were supposed to look like and commented hers looked nothing like that (swollen and inverted) and did not have an odor like was mentioned. So, he said if we notice anymore discharge or anything to bring her back in a few days. I just told him I wanted to keep on top of anything before it looks like that.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:11 pm

You know, when we go in to the doctor and are diagnosed with an infection, it's very possible that I wouldn't have the same symptoms as another person. Just because her pouch isn't inverted or swollen, doesn't mean she doesn't have an infection. If it's showing bacteria (and I admit, I don't know what cocci bacteria is and if it's good or bad) - and it's BAD bacteria, then she needs to be treated. Plain and simple. But for a vet to say that you should just "watch" it because it doesn't look like everyone else's pouches, is ridiculous to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 am

I guess I'll call him to tell him to treat anyway then. I'll see what he says. I Googled it too and it says nothing more than the word means spherical or round. Nothing to the effect of anything else. Although he did tell me yesterday we all have cocci bacteria on our skin.
Back to top Go down
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:12 pm

I got the Baytril today. Took a bit for me to really look at the dosage. They had it marked as 0.35ml every 12 hours. I looked at the marked syringe and thought, no way. Thats too much. I called them and they had to talk to the vet about checking the dosage. He called back ( all this is before I have given it to her) and said "good catch". The dosage is as I had told the receptionist probably supposed to be 0.03ml. Does that sound more like the right dose? Please don't tell me to ask my vet because he was the one that gave me this incorrect dose to begin with.
Back to top Go down
CandyOtte

CandyOtte

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Only your vet can determine the correct amount of the dose. It all depends on the dilution of the medication he gave you.

Many medications are powders that are diluted with water when they are prepared for use. The amount of water can be reduced - to make a more concentrated mixture and require a smaller dosage or it can be increased to make a larger dosage that is easier to measure in a syringe - but the amount of the actual medication would be the same.

Your vet would know what dilution was used and can calculate the correct dosage.
Back to top Go down
http://GliderKids.com
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 pm

I'd look at getting a different antibiotic altogether.

Yes, .35 is far too much and you were right in catching that. But, the correct dosage needs to be determined by your vet according to the size of your glider.

You've had more than one issue going on and also issues with this vet. Might want to look around and have another vet on hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Obviously he diluted the same as he normally would for any otheranimal. It smells strong. No wonder she doesn't want it. One more question, would Metronidazole help with this kind of thing?
Back to top Go down
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:40 pm

A different antibiotic for the pouch infection? I read here that Baytril was used on pouch infections. I know, I plan on looking for another vet.
Back to top Go down
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 11:01 am

We just checked her pouch and it was more wet than before. I cleaned it up with a cotton ball. I have to ask because I honestly have no idea. Can gliders have hysterical pregnancies? The boys are both neutered and she licking a trail to her pouch. I know she had to have been in heat a few weeks ago because she was being a jerk.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 4:45 pm

I have never heard of them having false pregnancies before. They can hold Joey's in stasis. Was she with an unneutered male ever? Maybe she was just really moist in that area and she was over licking it to clean herself?

OH and just so you are aware we are not always here 100% of the time. We try to be here as much as possible but we all work and have other things to tend too.
We do our best to answer in a timely manner.
If you are ever concerned to the point were you think your glider is in danger and we have not gotten a chance to answer you should consider calling and/or taking your glider to your VET ASAP....
Back to top Go down
Mysweetboys

Mysweetboys

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 5:10 pm

No, she's never been with any other gliders at all. If I had a vet that knew anything about gliders, I'd be there instead of on the computer. I know everyone works and has lives outside this forum. Her pouch doesn't seem to be wet anymore. I'm so confused with this thing now. I got a message from a member on GG asking when was the last time we tried to bathe her. I'm pretty sure no one here supports bathing but my daughter does it ever once in a great why like when Kai skunks everyone in the pouch or everyone gets poo on them. Sometimes they just don't clean themselves. She said if the pouch got wet, maybe bacteria could have grown? I know I had asked somewhere if even a small amount of bacteria is normal in the pouch?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Looking for help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for help   Looking for help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: MEDICAL ISSUES & PHYSICAL HEALTH :: Infections (UTI, yeast, pouch, bladder, etc)-
Jump to: