The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swollen Cloaca/Area

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
crash64

Swollen Cloaca/Area Empty
PostSubject: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Problem: 5 year old male sugar glider has a swollen area between lower abdominal and tail, as well as a enlarged Cloaca.

Background: Off the bat, I have already been to the vet. Unfortunately my primary vet is not in the office until Tuesday, I have however been seen by a emergency vet. The emergency vet has checked the basics and was satisfied with the basics (Eyes, Nose, Mouth look find, glider is alert and mobile, while less than normal is still eating, weight is normal, hydrated, ect.)

However there is something that is not normal as the area between his lower abdomen and tail (the area known as the Cloaca) is swollen more than normal (See photos). The glider clearly feels something as he is normally very gentle passive and friendly, and he currently is semi temperamental. The glider has not urinated and defecated in the past 24 hours for sure, I do not believe he has defecated in the past 36 hours.

The emergency vet prescribed Metacam and Baytril (anti-inflammatory and antibiotic) but is not sure on the exact cause. I have contacted the emergency vet a short time ago and am waiting for a phone call, in which I am going to ask for a consult with one of the 5 "consult vets".

On a long shot, I wanted to reach out the the owner/breeder community and see if anyone recognizes the symptoms? I understand that any information given is not a valid replacement for a vet.

Swollen Cloaca/Area 2012-010

Swollen Cloaca/Area 2012-011

Swollen Cloaca/Area 2012-012
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Did the vet actually do a decent check of the area or check for an abcessed anal gland? Maybe he'd be willing to call a glider knowledgeable vet for a consult? I'd hate to see the poor guy have to wait until Tuesday.

Last edited by kyro298 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 5:08 pm

If he has not eliminated in 24 hours, I'm afraid you are in a critical state. Please give me a call right away. It is essential that you get him to eliminate soon - very soon.
806-274-9177.

Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
crash64

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 5:18 pm

The vet has contacted another vet on the "consult" list and both vets are in agreement the symptoms do not follow anything they have heard of. They are doing xrays now looking for an obstruction.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Please do contact Val - she will be able to talk you through things and give you good advice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
crash64

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Val thank you for the offer, I was at the vet until late and didn't see this until this am. Depending on what I hear this afternoon I may take you up on that call.

The vet was able to get the xrays as well as determine there is an infection that has caused a nabscess which was blocking the passage way out. They drained the abscess and he is eliminating on his own. (Got cultures, samples, slides and xrays)

The emergency vet has contacted the normal vets office and they are contacting the vet on his day off. Waiting to see what is the next step.

Thank you all for your help.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm so glad they found that and drained it. Can't say I'm thrilled to say I was with Val at the vet when they abcessed an anal gland and can't say I need to see it again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm

LOL Kylah. Yep, it is kinda nasty.

I'm glad all worked out as well. Please participate in the SUGAR Group's research studies and share all this information for research studies. It is so valuable!
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
DoubleBogey

DoubleBogey

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 10:27 am

So glad to hear that you were able to get this figured out. There was a glider not long ago with a similar presentation (actually worse I think) that did not make it. This is exactly how I wish "my glider is sick" posts on other forums went when a glider was ailing. 1) Went to the vet, figured it out, treating. OR 2) went to the vet, didn't figure it out...going to another vet...not going to stop until I find it!

Seems like people miss on either #1 or #2 meaning they either don't go to the vet or they don't keep looking. Either way, glad this worked out.

Now for my last thought - do abscesses have a higher tendency to recur after a situation like this? I realize that it was started by an infection...just curious if the anatomical changes of the abscess having been there would increase odds to see it again. I have read that the tissue inside the cloaca (or any mucous membrane really) swells up - the area can be more susceptible (especially if there was a blood clot formed). Bearing in mind, this information is based on human medicine so I have no idea! Just figured I would ask!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Cloaca/Area   Swollen Cloaca/Area Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swollen Cloaca/Area
Page 1 of 1