INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

The inter-dependence of all body systems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: The inter-dependence of all body systems   Sun May 06, 2012 3:02 pm

We are all aware of how important the brain, heart and lungs are to all body functions. Afterall, if you aren't breathing, there is a huge issue.

However, I think it is worth pointing out that all body systems are dependent upon the other body systems for proper functioning. This means that there are times when an issue with one body system will result in a symptom in another system. This makes it very important that, when searching for the CAUSE of a particular symptom that you not look in just one area.

For example, if your glider is not using one leg, the issue could be an injury with that leg, metabolic bone disease, a spinal injury, an injury at a DIFFERENT part of the body, arthritis, an ear infection, or maybe even an issue with moving the bowels.

If your glider is having difficulty urinating, it could be that there is a UTI or a bladder infection, but it could also be an issue with kidney functioning, pain from an injury somewhere in the body, a tumor, spinal damage or an infection in the brain.

The point is, once we identify a symptom, we test the most likely causes first, but then we can continue to explore other body systems and/or conditions that are less likely until we have a diagnosis. There are many different tests that can safely be run on gliders to help determine the CAUSE of symptoms shown. Continue testing and problem solving and brain storming with your vet until you find an answer.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: The inter-dependence of all body systems   Sun May 06, 2012 3:35 pm

That is so very true. I have an example, of the human sort, but, we are all animals, and this can happen in animals, too. For years, my feet hurt, all the time. I thought I had plantar fascitis, but was repeatedly told by the Dr. that I did not. It got to the point that if I sat down for more than about 5 minutes, I would hobble for about 10 to 15 steps before I could walk normally. I had a ton of other issues, all seemingly random. Finally, I tested positive for hypothyroid. My thyroid was causing more issues than you can name, including vitamin deficiencies, weight changes, pain, stomach issues and freezing all the time.
Never give up on finding the answers.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Shapes on a Page, my next movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe

The inter-dependence of all body systems
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1