The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ShelbyNigel

What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Empty
PostSubject: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi,
I just got a sugar glider, Nigel, about a week ago. So he is about 9 weeks old now. He was doing great until today I noticed he keeps opening and closing his mouth and putting his hand up to it like hes trying to get something out of his mouth. He let me look in his mouth and there is nothing there. Im very worried. No, he is not grooming. Is it possible that he is dehydrated? I squeezed his water bottle and held him up to it and he drank a lot which made me think maybe he wasnt getting any water before. Those water bottles always make me nervous since there are so many of them that come broken. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Shelby
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:39 pm

The fact that he drank water is a good thing. Is he able to eat?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
ShelbyNigel

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes, he has been eating all day.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 am

Is he still exhibiting this behavior tonight? When he does it, does he make any sound? For how long does he do it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
ShelbyNigel

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 am

He just started doing it this morning and last time I checked, about 30 min ago, he was doing it when i pulled him out. He will walk on me and sleep on me but then every little while he will do it. He does it for like 20 seconds I guess? No sound. Its kinda like when someone gets hit in the jaw and they open and close it cause it hurts but obviously thats not the case. He ate most of his hard food so hes not in pain I dont think.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 am

You can always do a tent test to check for dehydration. I think he needs to get in for a well check like advised in chat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 am

If he is still doing this he should go into the vets to be checked. If you just got him it is a good idea to get him a wellness check/fecal and urinalysis anyway. This gives your vet a get to know your glider time.
Please keep us posted on how he is doing.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 9:16 am

Yep. Get him in to the vet for fecal (float AND smear) tests and urinalysis to start.

What are you feeding him?
Where did you get him and what type of cage is he living in?

How does he act immediately after he stops this behavior?

Please let us know what the vet finds and we will let you know what other steps can be taken.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?   What is wrong with my Sugar Glider? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with my Sugar Glider?
Page 1 of 1