The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pouch Infections

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
srlb

srlb

Pouch Infections Empty
PostSubject: Pouch Infections   Pouch Infections Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 6:04 pm

So here I am to give my story.

I have had two different gliders cannibalize joeys over the past few months. Each rid themselves of one set.

Joharra, she seems to have a cyst that flairs up when she comes into season. The only true way to resolve that issue is to be able to spay her, which we know is not an option. It does not cause her pain and goes away on its own without any meds. Much like woman who get cysts on their ovaries is the best way I can think of to explain it.

Pouch Infections Joharr10

By the time we got to Tims office the next day, it was gone and he looked at me like I was crazy. We put her under to do a pouch swab and to check it out and there were no signs of it.

I have seen this come up three times total. Joharra has not had any other joeys since.

Next comes Miss Meadow. She had one set of beautiful joeys with no problems, the next go around, right before they came OOP she did away with them. Had no idea why so I took her in. We did a swab on her and discovered she had a pouch infection. Put her on a round of baytril and it cleared up. I was happy yet nervous when I discovered she had two more in pouch about a month later. She carried these two all the way through...Hicka and Billy. Billy was extremely crabby and lunging before his eyes were even open. Yesterday when I was checking on the joeys to see how they were, I noticed that something didnt look right about Billy. His face was wet...so I looked at Meadow. She has a severe pouch infection. I called Tim right away and made arrangements to take her in to see him today (Sunday).

Got her in, put her under and what a nasty infection she has going on. Upon opening her entire pouch up to clean it up there was a crusty thing attached to the side, it was an exoskelelton from a mealie...EWWW.... Tim said we really did not need to be feeding them anyway...if they are being fed a good diet that is. So she received a shot of baytril today, doing a culture, and a 7 day treatment of Baytril here at home. I had to remove her from the rest of the crew, including the babies and Tim suggested to limit her activity space. The less active she is the faster she will heal. So she is in a hospital cage and I will be supplementing her joeys and Pandora is also allowing them to nurse on her. What a good auntie she is.

Pouch Infections Dsc08910
Back to top Go down
http://www.critterlove.com
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Pouch Infections Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pouch Infections   Pouch Infections Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Poor girl. What an infection that is!!!

Peggy, please keep us updated on her follow-up appointment. Do you have any indication why it keeps coming back, or is this going to be like the facial abscesses, where we just can't predict them?

I'll be praying for your girls and for those babies!!!
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Chris R

Chris R

Pouch Infections Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pouch Infections   Pouch Infections Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 8:22 pm

I wonder just how long that mealie has been in there??....The antibiotics the first time around could have cleared it up for a time but because the "irratant" was still there might also be the reason why it came back again...esp being that it was one of those "hard and fast" infections....
Back to top Go down
srlb

srlb

Pouch Infections Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pouch Infections   Pouch Infections Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Tim *Thinks* it might be the first infection was not completely gone and just lingering, and then with the mealworm shell, and the joeys nursing it just flared it up really fast and furious. Sad thing is she probably had it this whole time and I just didnt know it. Even when Shawna was here, other than the baby being a crab butt, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I am thankful I seen Billys little head *wet* as that is what made me really look last night.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Pouch Infections Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pouch Infections   Pouch Infections Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 am

Peggy
How is Meadow doing? How 'bout the babies? Any chance we can get "in process" pictures of her healing???
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
srlb

srlb

Pouch Infections Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pouch Infections   Pouch Infections Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 am

Val, Meadow is doing better. She still looks quite nasty (will get pics later today) and is still separated from her cage mates and joeys.

The joeys are doing really well. I am supplement feeding them, however their Auntie Pandora is also nursing them along with her own joey Meribelle.

Meadow does cry for her cage mates every morning, and every morning it breaks my heart as I sit her and promise her it wont be for much longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pouch Infections Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pouch Infections   Pouch Infections Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pouch Infections
Page 1 of 1