HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fur color

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mysweetboys

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:44 pm

US mom, I responded to you but the post didn't show up. Kai weighs 81grams now.
A few months ago he was 78 then 88 last month now 81. He started losing weight when they started using this Custom Cruiser. He loves it and will spend all night on it if we let him. Thus being why it is disassembled on the bottom of the cage for him to fawn over and cry on until he decides to eat.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:47 pm

I don't think he'll ever comprehend that you are taking away the wheel so he will eat. They don't seem to respond to "punishment", for lack of better words. The wheel is still good for him.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
Kylah, That's K-y-l-a-H (Take note of the "H"!) My favorite color is pants, which is perfectly normal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
DCMuffin
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 pm

I have to agree with this - taking away the wheel, which is a huge source of stimulation for gliders - is not the way to go about things. His weight change is not so drastic and is not altogether uncommon.

I'd reassemble the wheel and put it back in there for him this evening.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:48 pm

He is within normal weight. You are wise though, to keep an eye on it. At 81 grams, he doesn't have a lot to lose before it's a problem. However, I will agree with Aimee, don't remove the wheel. I don't even take it out for my sick gliders. He's not using that much energy on it, I know it seems like it, but he isn't. Just keep an eye on him, and it sounds like you're watching pretty closely. Give them lots of variety in their fruits and veggies, keep up with the snacks, and see how they do.

Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Shapes on a Page, my next movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
Mysweetboys

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 am

Will do ladies. Kai and Omi get the wheel back tonight! It's too late right now as it is 9 in the a.m. I may try it anyway. So you don't think they'll put 1 and 1 together. Eat= wheel? He looks to be getting a little better. He appears to be maybe a little dehydrated? His urine is yellow/clear and not clear/white. Don't know if that makes sense. It no longer smells at all though. I'd do the tent test but I'm like how do you tell if a glider is dehydrated like that? They have this extra skin that is not tight on them. I'll see if I can't get him in with Dr. Spiller today for maybe a sub-q if he sees fit.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 pm

With the tent test, the skin on the back of the neck wouldn't go back down immediately. It would "tent", hence the name. No, I definitely do not think they would ever equate food to the wheel. Plus, the wheel is something they should have all the time anyway, not just as a "perk", if that makes sense. If you were to take away anything, it should probably be extra treats, although, I still don't think they'd ever connect the two either. They just don't rationalize like we do.

Kylah, That's K-y-l-a-H (Take note of the "H"!) My favorite color is pants, which is perfectly normal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Mysweetboys

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks Kylah, I did give it back to them. It was a joyous reunion. Even though they'd just gone back to bed/pouch, they found just enough energy to give it a few whirls. We gave them/Kai the'bad stuff' earlier. The only way we know for sure he is drinking is to water glideraide down really good and have him drink it. He downed 2cc's of water w/ a smidgen of glideraide. I know it's bad for them or rather serves no nutritional purpose but in this case, it gets him to drink. They haven't gotten yogies in over a week.
Back to top Go down
Mysweetboys

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 pm

I did do a tent test on him and his skin took 2-3 seconds to go back to normal. Don't know if thats normal time. Guess I'll keep pushing the fluids until his eyeballs are floating or someone tells me otherwise.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Keep in mind that when you do this test, the fur will stay up for a good period of time - it's the skin underneath that should go back relatively quickly. The tent test is not always a good indicator of dehydration because it's very difficult to tell if that's what's happening or not.
Back to top Go down
Mysweetboys

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:25 pm

The skin and the fur did go down in 2-3 seconds. Of course you could tell where I had picked it up at due to the fur but his skin went down pretty quickly. I'll keep checking though.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Boy, Lisa, you are a worrier, aren't ya?
It really sounds like you have two perfectly normal, healthy gliders that you are just fussin' and fussin' over.
Relax. ENJOY them rather than fuss over them. They are FINE. Let THEM enjoy life as well rather than having to be fussed over all the time.
I have experience with hundreds of gliders and I assure you that your boys are perfectly normal.

The wheel is to serve as exercise for them. This is an important enrichment item for them. Here is a refresher for you on the importance of the different types of enrichment:http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/t1433-different-toys-for-different-needs

Taking away something when you see an undesirable behavior or don't see a desired behavior is called negative reinforcement and, while used by some in their animal "training" it is not considered the most effective way to train an animal and it certainly is not effective for bonding and trust building. They are not capable of making any connections that are not immediate. In other words, if you want them to learn from something, then you must respond IMMEDIATELY upon seeing the behavior. Removing a wheel in this manner will never be understood by them. It also was just not necessary. Let your boys eat as they will and accept that they will be different sizes, will vary in their weight from time to time, will eat more some days and less some days and will be more active some days than others. That is normal. Just.... enjoy them and stop with all the worry. It is not good for YOU or for them.

~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Mysweetboys

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes Val, I am a worrier, big time. I've read so many heart wrenching stories of gliders going downhill so fast and by the time you notice it, it's too late. I'm trying to be proactive here and ensure they have the very best of everything. I have noticed a lot of new grey hair on me lately. So has my stylist. So at least the good diet and f/v are making somebody grey.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fur color   

Back to top Go down

Fur color
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2