The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mating issues after neuter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scarlett

scarlett

Mating issues after neuter Empty
PostSubject: Mating issues after neuter   Mating issues after neuter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:18 am

Hi all,
I have an adult male which I had neutered the first week of December, 2011. He is continuing to try to mate with his female and getting frustrated and won't leave her alone, he was biting so I have removed him to a cage by himself. He is clearly unhappy with this arrangement but I don't know how long her cycle continues and how often she comes in. When should I put him back in with her and his two weaned children? Also, how long is he going to do this? My baby boy was neutered last week at 11 weeks oop and is not doing this so he and his sister are still in the cage with mom.
Thank you,
Sharon
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Mating issues after neuter   Mating issues after neuter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 am

It may take several months for his hormones to settle, but also he may always do this. He may just be amarous. Some males are, esp. if they are neutered later in life. Most of the time, the behavior is tolerated and not really a cause for huge concern. You are their mom, so you know what is best for them, so use your best judgment about whether this is something you will have to do each month.

Her heat cycle lasts about 3 days and occurs every 28 days. I have a few cages where I remove one glider when the girl comes into heat just about every month. It does happen and you can't let yourself feel bad about it. If it does become a monthly issue, then you might consider removing dad for the 3 days one month and then removing mom for the 3 days the next month and so on. This usually cuts down on stress every month for one glider.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
scarlett

scarlett

PostSubject: Thanks   Mating issues after neuter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am

Thank you, I will put him back in tomorrow and watch him the end of the month and see how he is behaving.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Mating issues after neuter   Mating issues after neuter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 pm

I have this problem also with one pair. He was neutered at 10 weeks old (he is now 4 yrs old) and to this day he will try to mate his sister. I remover her there is 2 other males also brothers to them and they do not mate with her but it is easier to remover her then 3 of them. I take her out in the evening when I hear ruckus as I know what is going on. Then by the next morning I can put her back. If you end up removing her every month then experiment with the time frame they try to mate and you might be able to put them together sooner. If I put her back and she can go into the pouch with them and there is no Monkey Business then she stays with them if he tries to mate then she comes back out until the next day.
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Mating issues after neuter   Mating issues after neuter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 pm

My oldest neutered male and my oldest female mate every single month. He was neutered well after fathering joeys so he was much older than his sons were when they were neutered, at 12 and 16 weeks.

I've never seen him try to mate with his daughter, nor have I ever seen the sons try to mate with mom. Interesting how they continue the "mom, dad and children" roles after so many years. The "joeys" are going to be 4 years old this year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
scarlett

scarlett

PostSubject: Re: Mating issues after neuter   Mating issues after neuter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Thank you all for sharing. We will see how it goes near the end of the month.
Sharon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mating issues after neuter   Mating issues after neuter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mating issues after neuter
Page 1 of 1