The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Problems with filed teeth

Go down 
+2
DCMuffin
Jenny
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenny

Problems with filed teeth Empty
PostSubject: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 am

The vet filed my gliders tooth without asking :(
he only has one front bottom tooth and its now cut short.
They pulled a tooth as the xray showed dental abscess
I feed glider chow. Has anyone had problems with teeth issues from hard food? What's your opinion on hard pellets? This is my second glider with a facial swelling, the first one died after going to vets that had sugar gliders but didnt know what to do with my glider's issue.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR
DCMuffin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:58 am

I am no expert here, but my best guess is that your glider will now have trouble eating any sort of hard or pelleted food. And honestly, it would be much better for him to be on a well balanced, nutritious diet, something Glider Chow isn't. It just doesn't provide the nutrients (or water) he needs to keep him healthy and happy. Check out Glider Gourmet (Here) .
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
Jenny

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 11:09 am

So what should I feed them? I was looking at the suncoast glider food also
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Jenny,

Go to this diet section of the board:
https://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/f76-glider-gourmet

I have fed BML, Priscilla Price's Diet (The Pet Glider Diet), and HPW, HPW Plus & Complete. Because of this, I can only recommend what I have personally had experience with.
I agree with Aimee, your glider should not be fed pellets anymore, his teeth are not equipped for that. He needs a softer diet, fruits/veggies/protein....I think pellets should only be fed as a treat/snack anyway, never as a main staple. In my opinion, all gliders should be fed one that has daily fruits and veggies.
If you are looking at an easier diet to feed, I would recommend HPW Complete and for that to be fed along with softer fruits and vegetables. HPW Complete is fairly simple. You can order the staple powder, (which contains protein/vitamins) mix it with water and add the fruits/veggies.
Look over all of those diets in that section, you may find one that jumps out at you. I do think you definitely need to change the diet though. Most definitely.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Jenny, that isn't the same vet you listed under the vet section is it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Jenny

PostSubject: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 3:24 pm

yes, out of the three that are recommended in our area she shows the most promise.

with our first glider, Chloe, whom we lost in May- I was told a vet at Bayside Animal Hospital, my dogs clinic ,was experienced with gliders. She sent me home with steroid, no xray. She owned a glider. Thankfully the next week when my glider had gotten worse she wasnt in the office and I was sent to Niceville Animal Clinic who had a vet experienced with exotics, who also owned a few gliders. Still no x-ray. He lanced the swelling , drained it, put her on antibiotics, and pain meds, sent me home. no ecollar , no drain. She got worse as the incision closed and i could not get the pus out myself. A few days later we returned to him. He sent me home with more pain meds, i think as if to say put her to sleep. I went to him a third time before seeking another doctor.

Found doctor Touvre. Before seeing her i had researched and found out that an abscess should be left open with a stint of some sort and an ecollar. I still didnt know for sure it was an abscess but thought it probably was. By this time my poor Chloe had dealt with this for over 3 weeks and was very weak, still sweet as could be. Dr. Touvre at least xrayed, did blood work , but i think the drain was too excessive. She put umbilical tape, looked like rope through a rather large hole cut into Chloe. Sent me home. Chloe died the next morning.

When this glider showed signs of swelling near eye, Dr. Touvre was out so i went back to bayside. Told her it was probably abscess. She said absolutely not. She sent me home with baytril, calcium and a dewormer, NO XRAY~ She said if glider makes it bring it back in two weeks, :( i made appt with Dr Touvre, she saw him two days later, did x-ray, and surgery as stated earlier. Now his swelling is still bad, no stint. I can't handle the umbilical tape again, that was horrid. H is weak so I am making him another appt and bringing the photo of staple leaving abscess open as opposed to the tape. Hoping for the best.

Last edited by Something_To_Believe_In on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cleaned up, organized and corrected spelling/grammar.)
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Wow. So many things to respond to in this thread.

First, yes, x-rays are important. However, it actually sounds like the Niceville vet was on the right track. I would not return to the Bayside vet again - ever. But, the one in Niceville was on the right track.

Second, no matter which vet you use, they NEED to consult with Dr. Walsh. Also, a DRAIN is not nearly as important as a CULTURE. The exudate removed from the abscess MUST be cultured so that you know which bacteria you are dealing with and how to treat it. Baytril will not treat all bacteria. I have had many, many, many abscesses (35+) here and I have only once placed a glider in an e-collar for treatment. I have had two with drains left in for 3 days that never messed with the drain. An e-collar is not necessarily necessary. Neither is a drain. ESP. if there is tooth involvement and the tooth is removed. Of the over 35 abscesses I have had here, I have only used a drain in 4 of them. But, I have cultured every single one. I know that one of my gliders would not be alive today if I had not cultured his abscess (due to the particular bacteria that was found).

Third - if your little boy is declining even with treatment, then you need to give me a call, as he likely has a separate issue going on that needs to be addressed. I am available all day today and every evening by phone. My number can be found in the "who to call" thread of every forum.

Fourth - you do not know what your Chloe died of. The only way to know is to have a necropsy and histopathology done on the glider after their death. It is possible that she died of liver failure from the medications given, or from a bacteria that was not addressed appropriately and went septic (i.e. salmonella), or a parasite, or, or, or.... No way to know without proper testing. Therefore, we won't lay blame on anyone. We can't. We don't know where to place the blame.

Fifth - the SUGAR Group is currently studying facial abscesses. Please participate in this research. http://www.sugargroup.org/Current-Surveys.html

Sixth - please get your gliders off of that pellet as a primary staple and onto a different diet....yesterday. Please.

Please give me a call prior to your next vet visit. I'm happy to help.

Last edited by Something_To_Believe_In on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 am

Post was split and moved to appropriate forum. Problems with filed teeth 288672
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
angelic4296

angelic4296

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Jenny, I've sent you a private message, so please check it when you can. Thank you so much!! :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems with filed teeth   Problems with filed teeth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problems with filed teeth
Page 1 of 1